2012 Hyundai Accent Consumer Review: First impressions--Accent SE H

2012 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Review

GLS Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

First impressions--Accent SE Hatchback
By uptowndoug on

2012 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I considered a number of sub-compacts, including the Honda Fit, Kia Soul, Toyota Yaris and Ford Fiesta before deciding on the Accent hatchback SE. Main considerations were price, fuel economy and warranty length. It's only real competitor for me was the Kia Soul, but at only 34 mpg and about a grand more, I chose the Accent. I paid $16,900 in Sacramento CA for a brand new one with nearly all the options available. So far, after two weeks, here are some first impressions. Two fill ups and about 800 miles: only getting 30mpg so far combined city and freeway. Smooth riding, plenty of pep. Comfy, plenty of leg and head room. Stereo could be more powerful. Ipod lacks volume.

The warranty is (with Kia) the best in the industry. (They still tried to sell me a $1500 upgrade which I declined.) Storage space w/seats down is substantial. A trip to San Francisco with 5 passengers showed it could go up hills in cruise mode with no problems. But the car is not made for long distances w/3 people in the back (1 child). I didn't buy it for that anyway. Has plenty of power, can hit 80 easily on freeway, cruise control very effective. Turning radius is exceptional--I drove a Ford Windstar for years, couldn't do a U turn on a landing strip without backing up once. I'm 6'2", plenty of headroom and leg room. Way better than the Honda Fit.

Stereo should have more power. Ipod volume is weak. Is that because of the Ipod or the stereo? Don't know. When rear seats fold down, it could be flatter, like the Fit. Also, the magic seat of the Fit should be emulated.