2012 Hyundai Accent: Small Price Big Value
By talipa2012 on
2012 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 6A)
I recently was able to purchase a 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS Sedan with the premium package. I have almost put the first 1000 miles on it and overall I am extremely impressed. The Accent is a great combination of fuel economy, driver enjoyment, and build quality that is made even sweeter by falling thousands of dollars below the $20,000 mark. Driving the Accent is a great experience as a daily driver, offering excellent comfort and with 138 horsepower a great amount of confidence in all situations. Compared to the competition the Hyundai Accent has a price that many consumers can live with while getting the magic 40 mpg mark. I'd make this choice again given the option.
Favorite Features
The power-train for the 2012 Model year is a 1.6L GDI (Gasoline-Direct-Injection) engine that produces 138hp @6300 rpms and 123lb/ft @4850 rpms. This engine is an excellent pair for the Accent. This engine paired to a 6-speed automatic transmission that is EPA rated at 30/40 mpg. With the new for 2012 ActiveECO feature that theoretically increases fuel economy by 7% this combination is an ideal fit for my life style. The exterior design of the 2012 Hyundai Accent follows the Fluidic Design motif in all new Hyundai's and I have to say it is one of my favorite iterations so far. Also at this price point I am very pleased to have steering wheel audio controls and Bluetooth Connectivity.
Suggested Improvements
Steering feel is the Achilles heel of the Accent. It is a bit vague and over-boosted. While this is alright for a daily driver it does mean this car is not as sporting as other subcompacts. To make up for this shortcoming the suspension is a bit overly taught and can become quite unsettled over rough roads. In the interior the center armrest that is available with the Premium Package has little or no padding which can become quite uncomfortable over long drives. Back seat room is also at a premium especially in my optimal driving position; I am 6'1" for a reference. As for exterior elements the only gripe I have is I would like an electronic trunk release for times when my hands are full.
By litesong2
on 09/29/11 20:58 PM (PDT)

The review sounds too much like a Hyundai official trying to get people to buy the upscale Accent. My wife has a base 2008 Accent which delivered 45MPG going over a small mountain pass, has had no problems, squeaks, creaks or rattles in 50,000 miles. Beat that, 2012 tech enhanced Accent.... specially see how the new direct fuel injection lasts(200,000 miles?). Oh, yeah! One dealer in 2009 was selling two new Accents for $14,000. Now Hyundai wants $14,000 & much more for one Accent. On our Accent, we got the armrest, tach, 8-way adjustable driver seat, mudflaps & probably other items that are extra now. Hyundai caught up the other auto makers in quality years ago. Now, Hyundai is catching up with the other auto makers, in the money they take from buyers.

By talipa2012
on 09/30/11 16:45 PM (PDT)

I don't think going from MPI to GDI injection is going to have an affect on reliability. And the increase in price I think has more to do with the current exchange rates than anything to do with what they think they can charge. The car is great but its still in the new car stage. I will let you know how it goes down the line. I imagine with how I take care of my vehicles that the Accent will be perfectly fine after 50k miles. Why be so hateful towards a company that gave you a rock solid car?