Used 2012 Hyundai Accent SE Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Accent Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Accent Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

The Last "New" Hyundai I will Ever Own.
By Dan

2012 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I say the last "new" Hyundai, when really I mean the last Hyundai I will ever own, and the last car I will ever buy new. I bought this car in October of 2011 as a brand new 2012 with 0 miles on it. It was a special order, from the dealer. Luckily, because it was special order, they didn't get the chance to mark it up $1500 like the other cars on their lot. Even still, I barely got out under sticker price. Up to about 20k miles was great, except for the garbage Kumho tires on these cars, which wore out after 16k. 22k miles I had the shifter knob replaced as the leather was deteriorating. 23k I had the heater motor replaced because it was whining terribly. From 23k onwards the clutch throw-out shaft had been making a chirping noise. 15 trips to the dealer.... let me repeat... FIFTEEN. TRIPS. Have all but yet to determine the noise, or even offer to replace parts. 26k I had them replace the clutch slave cylinder and bleed the system... no help. 27k they lubed the throw-out bearing... no help. Fast forward 60,000 chirpy miles later the check engine light comes on. 87k on the clock I bring it in for the light. Small evap leak code P0456. They change all the solenoids at my cost because EVAP is only covered to 82k.... thanks Hyundai. 90k the light comes back on... They clear it, not finding an issue. 92k the light comes on... They clear it, not finding an issue again. 95k.... my FUEL PUMP HOUSING falls apart. Literally cracked completely around the retaining ring and nearly bursts from the tank.... $790 later, out of my pocket AGAIN... it's fixed... because the Fuel system isn't covered under the 100,000 mile warranty. 96,000 miles... I still owe $2600 on this car. Never. Again. Goodbye Hyundai.

Glad I ditched the Fiesta!
By mechanic80

2012 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

A basic hatchback that has an interior color other than black!
Mine is a 6 speed, a real advantage with the relatively small 1.6 engine, but still quite gutsy!
I drive almost exclusively highway miles between Albuquerque proper and the east mountains.
23 miles each way, and 43 MPG is my average with a high of 46.5 when I drive like a little old lady (NOT typically!) Convenient controls and placement thereof.
A little buzzy but quite tolerable.
Good road feel and great brakes.
I enjoy throwing it around road curves. decent standard equipment and greatly improved safety over previous model.

The height adjustable driver's seat is a real plus for us short people with the adjustable steering wheel and the very fast warm-up period is great in the cold mountains. Good basic sound system. Can be had without unnecessary and expensive options (like SYNC) Being able to turn off the center stack display is great for night driving in the mountains.

The center stack needs help. Basically it's OK, but its placement is bothersome and the clock readout in the upper outer corner makes it virtually worthless, not to mention that you have to take your eyes off the road to search for the time in the glare. A clock should be directly in front of the driver. It's the most used information on the dash. An outside temp reading would be nice but a luxury, I guess. Maybe angle the stack towards the driver a few degrees? Would make it BMW like and a real feature on an inexpensive car.

Hyundai gone a long way.
By mpg_enthusiast

2012 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have a hybrid in disguise!
Just picked up 6spd SE Accent yesterday.
Already drove 241 miles and it is still not at half a tank yet.
And I was not driving too conservatively.
I was revving the engine hard at times taking off treating it like a sports car.
Pretty impress so far with the standard features like bluetooth, ipod, decent sound speakers (need sub), satellite radio, etc.
Was at 70mph and felt like I was going slow, so suspension is pretty good I have to say.
I will update the review if I find anything undesirable, but for now..two thumbs up.

Solid feeling chassis, 40mpg, led info display, satellite radio, bluetooth, ipod connection, handling. I really feel I made a really good investment without even breaking or actually scratching the bank.

Visibility (However, the side mirrors are big enough to use by itself like if you were driving a big rig. The side mirrors are big without hurting the appearance of the car. Don't worry, it's not that big that someone will call your car Dumbo the elephant.)

6 speed manual .....
By myfj40

2012 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This is a great little car, but lacks power when the A/C is on.

If you try to pull a hill in lower gears with the Air on you have to really wrap it out or it will bog down when you upshift.

I have owned this car 3 weeks and put on 800 miles so far....gas mileage is NOT as good as my 2000 Corolla with an Automatic.

I have averaged around 34 highway so far. And that is including some pretty flat interstate driving.....My corolla has actually gotten over 40 when the conditions are right !!!
I am really hoping that I can get much better mileage once it cools off and I don't have to run the air......

I have the SE model and I REALLY like the features. The Bluetooth pairing with the phones/iPods is GREAT !!! A small car with Cruise/ int. wipers/ etc is wonderful. Very responsive steering and a LOT of interior room for such a small car.

Needs a LOT more torque at lower RPMs. The Manual is geared TOO low in 6th....I run about 3000 rpm at 70MPH. Which is likely why the HWY mileage is so poor for a small car. Maybe they need an 8 speed manual to make up for the engine???