Used 2009 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Accent

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Accidentally Got The Best
By Happy Hyundai Owner

2009 Hyundai Accent GS Base 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Base 09 Accent Coupe because it was half the cost of my 1st choice, the Honda Fit. However, the longer I drive the Accent, the more I feel it's the best choice I could've made. I've even come to love the apple green color. It has an amazing amount of room inside - I went from a GMC Jimmy and have had little trouble adapting, space-wise. The exterior design is simple, clean and well- proportioned; I think it's one of the best-looking cars on the road. It handles and drives like a sports car, feels like an extension of my body: I think, it responds. Very solid, well- made car, reminds me of an MGB-GT I once had (without the constant repairs!).

Favorite Features

Extremely roomy - my skis & 1-piece kayak paddle easily fit inside. With the 5-speed manual tranny, superb handling and responsive steering, it's like driving a sports car. Zoom zoom, zip zip zip! Great mileage, a huge plus after my GMC Jimmy. Handles GREAT in the snow, even w/o snow tires!

Suggested Improvements

Manual tranny s/b geared higher; highway RPMs are 3500-4000, s/b 2000- 2500. Needs more ground clearance, esp. in front. Factory roof rack would be a nice option - Thule rack needs short-roof adaptor, reduces highway mileage from 36 to 31. Sun visors are hard to pull out w/gloves on.

Fun to drive- great mpg!
By HollyG

2009 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Accent this summer, and am completely thrilled with my purchase! I changed careers, and now drive quite a bit, thus making the Accent a perfect fit. It fit my budget, and I ended up paying $11,000 for my little car. Since I drive into rural areas, I purchased the XM/MP3 package, and I'm pleased with it- I've not lost a signal yet! One thing that I miss however, is cruise control. It was not an option with the 5-speeds that were on the lot. I would imagine that I'd get even better mileage with cruise. :)

Favorite Features

* xm radio * tight turn radius * super easy to park! * love that the rear seat folds down- I've fit LOTS of stuff in this car!

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see a better quality interior door panel- it scratches very easily.

Better than expected
By W. Henry

2009 Hyundai Accent GS Base 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

4 months of usage and the first 4,737 miles used 122.75 gallons of gas for 38.59mpg and I had to round for the JD Powers survey so it rounded to 39mpg. Course, I only use the first quarter inch on the gas pedal and park behind the slow moving trucks on the freeway. I think this is the least expensive car sold in America and to get 39mpg--this car is a steal. My son thinks that Korea is building the best cars for the price just like the Japanese companies did when they first started. They are trying harder. I'm not just comparing it to my last car, a 1981 Rabbit diesel, but also w rental cars such as the sporty Cadillac and a Mercedes that I owned in 1970. I didn't get AC.

Favorite Features

A very solid car that I feel quite safe in, even tho it is a small car. I also use it like a small pick-up transporting farm equipment and materiel and I'm sure glad I purchased the Accent instead of a small pick-up since the car holds almost as much and can also be locked.

Suggested Improvements

I've only used the brakes hard once and was going about 5 or 10mph and they sounded metallic and the front end really dipped so there is a little worry that the brakes may not be as good as the gas mileage. Also all 4 tires in 3 months leaked from 32 to 23psi so the tires might be cheap.

Money well spent
By Azawon

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was also looking at other cars when I stumbled on the Accent SE. I'm so glad I did, because I really couldn't decide between the 10 cars I had on my list. There was always something wrong, or missing. Either the price was too high, or the warranty too short, or I just couldn't fall in love with the car's styling. I had never considered a subcompact, but reluctantly started looking at them. I was intrigued with the Accent SE. It had a lot of nice features, and was sporty to boot. It's so much fun to drive, and has been solid and comfortable. This car gets many looks in traffic, from all angles, by drivers slyly checking it out. It is very sharp in Ebony black, and stands out.

Favorite Features

The styling, the hatch, the automatic light features, alloy rims, satellite radio, and the performance.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a sixth gear, for high-speed freeway driving. Up to 70 it's fine, but there is a little engine noise as you go faster than that. I just turn up the satellite radio a little, and it's easily covered up.

FIRST BRAND NEW CAR
By TOM FROM PA

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Just purchased vehicle through a chain of dealerships I work for. I was looking at the Hyundai accent, the Suzuki sx-4, and the Nissan versa. I loved the accent's looks and all the features it had for the money. The versa and sx-4 where way more money for a comparably equipped car. The only thing they had on the accent was more room (but they are four doors) and the Suzuki has all wheel drive. The performance in all three cars was almost identical, but in the end the car with the better looks and the better warranty won me over. I have owned it for less than a week and have put 1000 miles on it. I can't get over this car. I smile every time I get in it. No buyers remorse here!

Favorite Features

XM radio, 16" wheels, 176 Watt sound system, abs, that beautiful charcoal Gray paint, 60/40 seats, massive interior room for a two door hatch back, zippy acceleration

Suggested Improvements

165 turbocharged horsepower, standard Cruise control, more aggressive performance options like lower suspension, bigger brakes, maybe a CVT with paddle shifters but then again thats pushing it.