Used 2009 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Most impressed for a truck guy
By agnmah

2009 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Handling was awesome. Was worried about highway but performed great. Daughter going to college next august and have no problems passing car on to her.

Manual transmission nice and smooth. Sits comfortably. Good space for a compact.

None to say. Serves my purpose.

Spiritual Successor to the EK Civic
By Bobj

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Ignore the 07 consumer reviews from the "sport compact mafia". Amazing how hostile people are to Hyundai. Car is a blast to drive. only 2500lbs, short-ratio tranny, and 110HP makes it pretty fast. Add synthetic oil/filter, NGK's, Grounding Kit, and the AEM short ram (none will affect warranty), and you easily have a sub-8 sec 0-60 (R&T got mid-8 sec range out of the factory). Thing drives like it's on rails, shifter/driverside-armrest combo borders on perfection. Interior looks spartan, but "just right" with upscale touches.

Low weight, suspension designed by owner of a Caterham 7 (this is a car for making turns fast, not for going fast in a straight line), engine responds well to minimal tuning, fuel economy (avg 33 mpg in warm weather), No DBW throttle (thank you)

getting rid of the rear disc brakes after 2007 was a bad move. With the discs, this could have been a faster car (pushing it harder before braking). Should have been an option. Also should offer factory option LSD, Catback Exhaust, and ABS delete switch.

Perfect car
By fred

2009 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a 2005 Accent (that I bought new also) on this car a year ago. This car is even better than the 2005 was. Solid quality in and out, superb warranty, fun to drive, economical, and sharp-looking. I love the hatchback. My wife and I just returned from a 4000 mile vacation with no problems. For the trip, I removed the rear seats to make even more cargo room! Fantastic automobile that handles very well.

Warranty, hatchback, cost.

Seats are not as comfortable as my 2005 model was.

Weekend Rental
By Gravedigger83

2009 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Although I didn't buy the Accent like everyone else here, I did get the chance to drive it long distance for a summer weekend. At first glance, I really enjoyed the dark blue color which made the Accent a handsome car. My renter didn't have many options, just a CD player, AC and automatic transmission. But the CD player was impressive. For something that's sticker price tops out in the 13k range, I was quite surprised with a few things like quietness, bump absorption, pickup and handling that rivaled cars outside of its price class. My only real gripe was its lack of ABS. I had to do a panic stop in the rain and I wasn't sure if I was going to stop in time.

CD Player, fuel economy, quite ride and zippy handling.

Add ABS to the brakes, having a car in 2010 without them is pretty ridiculous. The nosedive when you slam on the brakes only makes it worse. The reach for the radio and the AC is a little far.

Good, but with Issues
By Dave

2009 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Accent a few months ago and I really like driving it more and more each day I get in it. The car is loaded with features. The issues I have are: 1) the cruise control hesitates when first set, 2) the tranny downshifts at the slightest incline (at some interstate overpasses at 78 mph and at some bridges at 35 MPG, I never know when it may downshift), 3) it spits out gas at the end of every fill-up no matter how slow I fill it, and 4) I am a very slow driver (everyone passes me off the start), but I only get 25 MPG in town and 30 MPG at 75 mph on the freeway. Since I bought this car used, I'm concerned it may have been damaged. Although, it did have a clear carfax.

Fun to drive and loaded with plenty of features. xm radio, cruise, abs, ice cold air, pwr locks, windows, mirrors, auto headlights, etc!

Get the advertised MPG, too quick to downshift, cruise control delay, better gas tank vent, and needs a trunk release button on the key fob.