2009 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
Most impressed for a truck guy
By agnmah on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Handling was awesome. Was worried about highway but performed great. Daughter going to college next august and have no problems passing car on to her.

Spiritual Successor to the EK Civic
By Bobj on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Ignore the 07 consumer reviews from the "sport compact mafia". Amazing how hostile people are to Hyundai. Car is a blast to drive. only 2500lbs, short-ratio tranny, and 110HP makes it pretty fast. Add synthetic oil/filter, NGK's, Grounding Kit, and the AEM short ram (none will affect warranty), and you easily have a sub-8 sec 0-60 (R&T got mid-8 sec range out of the factory). Thing drives like it's on rails, shifter/driverside-armrest combo borders on perfection. Interior looks spartan, but "just right" with upscale touches.

Perfect car
By fred on 08/25/10 10:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a 2005 Accent (that I bought new also) on this car a year ago. This car is even better than the 2005 was. Solid quality in and out, superb warranty, fun to drive, economical, and sharp-looking. I love the hatchback. My wife and I just returned from a 4000 mile vacation with no problems. For the trip, I removed the rear seats to make even more cargo room! Fantastic automobile that handles very well.

Weekend Rental
By Gravedigger83 on 08/06/10 13:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Although I didn't buy the Accent like everyone else here, I did get the chance to drive it long distance for a summer weekend. At first glance, I really enjoyed the dark blue color which made the Accent a handsome car. My renter didn't have many options, just a CD player, AC and automatic transmission. But the CD player was impressive. For something that's sticker price tops out in the 13k range, I was quite surprised with a few things like quietness, bump absorption, pickup and handling that rivaled cars outside of its price class. My only real gripe was its lack of ABS. I had to do a panic stop in the rain and I wasn't sure if I was going to stop in time.

Good, but with Issues
By Dave on 08/05/10 18:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Accent a few months ago and I really like driving it more and more each day I get in it. The car is loaded with features. The issues I have are: 1) the cruise control hesitates when first set, 2) the tranny downshifts at the slightest incline (at some interstate overpasses at 78 mph and at some bridges at 35 MPG, I never know when it may downshift), 3) it spits out gas at the end of every fill-up no matter how slow I fill it, and 4) I am a very slow driver (everyone passes me off the start), but I only get 25 MPG in town and 30 MPG at 75 mph on the freeway. Since I bought this car used, I'm concerned it may have been damaged. Although, it did have a clear carfax.

Pleased with my purchase but ...
By Norm on 07/31/10 17:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I was very pleased with my purchase. This little car gets decent gas mileage (I drive 100 miles a day.) I'd like more MPG. I was concerned to find a bit of body rust that wasn't noticed when the car was being detailed for my purchase. The sport suspension is really great here in the mountains.

Little Beast
By sssss on 07/05/10 23:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car a week ago, and so far it's been great, except for the fact that the car shakes while braking around 45 mph, and the tires lost pressure after a week so the low tire pressure light came on(but hey, at least there IS a warning light). i am taking it to the dealer this week to resolve those issues. Other than that, i love it. its so fun to drive, and i like the way the gears click into place and how easy the clutch is. i do wish it had cruise control and power locks, but it's the base model and was cheap. I was very impressed when i test drove it, the ride is great for such a cheap car. also the mp3 jack is awesome

Car is more than the sum of its parts
By Ben on 04/25/10 22:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent GS Base 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased under the C4C program. After $1500 rebate and $4500 C4C, we paid $7200 out the door, taxes and fees all included!!! Less than half the price of the base model Honda Fit and Ford Focus we test drove. The Honda felt cheap and sluggish and the Ford felt completely disconnected and even cheaper. With the manual it's quite peppy. We C4Ced a BMW for this car and we couldn't be happier. The handling is excellent. Driver feedback is just right. Driving position is perfect. Layout is nice. Interior fit and finish is fine. Paint is thin. After 10,000 miles we both still enjoy driving it and agree it's one of the best cars we've owned. Time will tell in wear and tear.

Great Car for Value Oriented Drivers
By NFerre on 03/16/10 10:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My wife needed a new car because her '95 Accord was on its last legs. We knew the day was coming, so we has already been researching vehicles, and the combination of price features, and warranty put the Accent at the top of the list. We ended up purchasing her a Hyundai Certified car with 4500 miles and an automatic. The car is very well built, and handles well for a lightweight economy car. The engine, wgile no speed demon, etc the job done, even at 80 MPH plus highway cruising. Don't let the lack of ABS scare you if you are looking at the Accent, the car stops just fine. Build quality is far better than one expects at this price point. We bought a second one to replace my 1994 BMW 325is.

Do yourself a favour...
By CWR on 03/03/10 08:38 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the ABS on the GLS model, especially if you drive in snow or a lot of wet conditions. Considering the price point of these vehicles, it is well worth the investment for the safety of ABS brakes. I was used to the system in a '04 Civic (much better braking system to be sure), and almost paid the ultimate price when I spun out a few times this winter in the Accent GLS w/out ABS. Hyundai should really make ABS standard on all models. Apart from this legitimate beef, it's a great little car for the money, far more room inside than Civic. Nice fittings inside, lots of leg room up front, highly capable engine for size of car. Excellent gas mileage all around.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Accent in VA is:

$133 per month*