Used 2009 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Tire Problems Hyundai Accent SE 2009
By farahk

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Hyundai Accent since 2009 August. I have been comepleting regular checkups at the dealership and the car has been performing well. I have driven for 5 years prior to buying this car. Other cars I have driven include the Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra and Kia Spectra. Obviously those are bigger sedans than the Accent. I have a clean driving record as well. One issue I have found is braking in poor weather conditions. Expecially when there is a layer of snow on the ground, the car tends to slip (compared to the other cars I have driven). The main conern I have had was the tires. I have had 3 bursted tires since I have bought this car. con't...

I have never had bursted tires in any other car I have driven. I have changed the brand of the tires and the new brand also bursted. After changing brands and finding that the tire still bursted I have concluded that perhaps it is not the tire itself but is the car? The dealership refuses to take any responsibility and same with the tire company. Within the first year, the first tire burst. The second tire burst after a year and a half, and 2 weeks after the regular manintenance check. Recently I had a $600 maintenance checkup from Hyundai and the tire bursted 2 weeks after as well!

If anyone else is facing tire problems, I would like to know about it [non-permissible content removed].

Great Car
By whitetree

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Overal the 2009 Hyundai Accent has been a great car. For three years and 55,000 miles I have not had a single problem with it. The engine lay out is simple and easy to access for regular maintenance and inspection. The only things I don't like are poor visability and poor performance.

Awesome Stereo

A Telescopic stearing wheel, better visability, and better performance.

not one problem @ 30,000 miles
By sssannndmannn

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

We chose this car over the Kia Soul (headrests were too far forward, pushing on our heads) and the Honda Fit (too small inside, too few features for too much money). The bad: no glove box light; no temp gauge; too little storage; only 28 MPG (my '89 Integra got 33 on my exact same daily commute); driver's center armrest is too low; and the steering is too sensitive when you're just going straight. The good: best sound system and best cupholders I've ever used in a car, very comfortable, and not one problem yet at 30,000 miles. I change the oil myself and the attention to detail and quality is everywhere, even under the car. All around one of the best small cars, but still miss my Integra.

sound system, cupholders, comfort

temp gauge, glovebox light, mileage

Poor Gas mileage No overdrive
By chriskaline

2009 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall this car has been awesome! The only problem is:gas mileage not fitting this car, 25 to 27 overall is not very good, no overdrive, it is simply a fifth gear. At 70 mph it turns appox. 3500 rpm, that is not good and certainly effects gas mileage.

For cost of car ride is quite good. Transmission shifts smoothly. Surprising leg room in front, i am over 6 ft tall and ride well.

transmission with overdrive, better overall gearing.

Problems
By Patricia A. Ellis

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Elimination of the rear wiper and the addition of the rear spoiler make it impossible to see out the rear window when it is raining or snowing when you are driving. This is a significant safety issue. Why include XM Radio when OnStar would make more sense? The rear spoiler is noisy, particularly when the wind is blowing. Tire wear continues to be a problem. I have had difficulty with tire wear on all of the Hyundai vehicles I have owned. I have been disappointed in the gas mileage. I got better mileage with my Elantra. The small size of the gas tank is also a disappointment.

Put rear wiper on all models. Do away with the rear spoiler. Increase size of gas tank. Do not put XM Radio in cars as a standard feature. It is too expensive to continue subscribing.