Used 2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

This is a great car
By ggracchus

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Of course it gets great MPG and is reliable. Our favorite thing about it, though, may seem a bit odd -- it is that it has a button that permits air recirculation for the fan, heater and AC. You may think this is common, but the difference is that once you set it to recirculate instead of pull air from the outside, it STAYS ON. Other vehicles will do an override, like our Ford, that will shut it off. Those types of vehicles think they are smarter than you are, and if the humidity or whatever gets to a certain level, off it goes. We really, really hate breathing pollution from the cars in front of us -- the fan will pull it right from their exhaust pipe into your face.

Great MPG Reliable Allows recirculation of air with no automatic override

Performance is not the best, but that is expected with these small engines. With 5 speed it is not too bad, but maybe steal some ideas from Honda's vtec engines.

I love this car, 50MPG is easily attainable.
By drunkenrobot

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car from new. It has been exceptionally reliable. I've never had a problem with it. I average 40-50 MPG on the highway and 30-40 MPG in the city. It is very fuel efficient for the price. My only issues that the seats are a bit uncomfortable on very long trips. I drive for two days each way to my summer vacation spot, and my back hurts after each run. Two doors was enough when I bought it, but limber passengers are a requirement to get into the back, though there is plenty of legroom back there. With the back seats down, the cargo area is enormous, we have shoved mountains of stuff in there. 100K on it so far, no issues.

The SE has power everything, which is a bonus. The stiffer springs make it handle like a go kart. It has more than enough power for getting around town, passing, and highway cruising. The automatics gets slightly better fuel economy, but the manual is just so fun, and it feels a lot more peppy than the auto. The cabin air filter is a nice bonus. The A/C nearly freezes me to death every summer, and the a/c assisted defogger works amazingly well. It regularly drops to -40 around here in the winter, it starts every time, and warms up fast.

The stock tires are terrible in the winter, I drive on winter tires anyway, so it's not really an issue. The stock stereo is also terrible, if you are a music lover, replace the head unit and the speakers asap. The gearbox is a bit notchy, switching to synthetic GL4 gear oil helps with that. The rear drum brakes aren't especially pretty (but they are reliable, inexpensive and last forever, so I don't mind too much).

Wonderful car!
By margarets_dad

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 42,500 miles, and have put on another 5,000. This is a fantastic car for the city--very durable and fits into the parking spaces that are too small for everyone else. The car drives very nicely, and has a substantial feel for its size. Its handling is excellent, and although it doesn't have a huge amount of power (how much do you really need anyway, unless you're in the Indy 500?), the engine is very peppy with the manual transmission and it has more than enough oomph for day-to-day driving. Depreciation on Hyundais is still pretty bad (undeservedly so), which is bad for the original owner, but great if you want to get a high-quality used car at a great price.

Hyundai's original 5-year 60,000-mile warranty is transferable, so I got 17,500 miles of factory warranty coverage on a used car! These cars are the world's greatest automotive bargain--I paid $7,500 for a car that stickered for $15,000, and plan to run it into the ground. A comparable Honda Fit would have been $6,000 more. This looks to be a very durable car. At almost 50,000 miles, there are no squeaks or rattles, and it basically drives like a new car. A very simple car, but a lot of fun.

The manual shifter is a little clunky (especially when the transmission is cold), but gets better as it warms up. It's also gotten better as I've driven the car more and gotten a better feel for it. Still, it should be smoother. Also, the rear cover is poorly designed. It doesn't lift up with the hatch and I'm always forgetting to put it back down after I lift it. Because of the way the lid is designed, loading items in the trunk can be awkward. Replacing the license plate bulbs in this car is ridiculous--it requires taking half the trim out of the trunk space and removing the bulbs from behind. The stupidest thing I've ever seen. Still, these are pretty minor gripes.

Amazing car
By highmiles9

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 3 years now and 170,000kms. Its been great. I tow a trailer with it and it will tow a small trailers with ease. I have done nothing to this car over the time ownership. I have done two sway bar links. 2 ignition coils under warranty. One blower motor, and anti theft module, connector and ignition antenna ring. Other then that just maintenance i haven't even worn through the brakes yet. This car is fun to drive with the factory 16" wheels it takes a corner fast. I'm tall and this car fits me well and gets great gas millage. This car was almost half the price of Japanese competitor but wayyy better.

The reliability is amazing. Its roomy even in the back seat 2dr. Simple and well layed out controls. Easy to drive. Good looking car. Fit and finish is better then some high end cars i have been in. Purchase price. All options other than automatic trans for the gs sport under 18000 cnd out the door. Brand new not a demo. Had 7km on it when i bought it.

Although the car is overall very nice there is a couple of things. ABS would be a nice option. Cruise control was not available and wish it was. Engine could use a little more power 10-20hp. Rated a 130hp @ 6000rpm. Its ok but when a/c on you must plan your lane changes carefully. Dealing with Hyundai for warranty is a nightmare. Hyundai is very stingy, my blower motor was squeaking when on and i brought it in and they declined the repair because it was still working. Eventually the motor stopped working and i had to change it at my cost. Thank goodness overall its a quality car. I would still buy a Hyundai because the car works with bare bone upkeep.

Tire Problems Hyundai Accent SE 2009
By farahk

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Hyundai Accent since 2009 August. I have been comepleting regular checkups at the dealership and the car has been performing well. I have driven for 5 years prior to buying this car. Other cars I have driven include the Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra and Kia Spectra. Obviously those are bigger sedans than the Accent. I have a clean driving record as well. One issue I have found is braking in poor weather conditions. Expecially when there is a layer of snow on the ground, the car tends to slip (compared to the other cars I have driven). The main conern I have had was the tires. I have had 3 bursted tires since I have bought this car. con't...

I have never had bursted tires in any other car I have driven. I have changed the brand of the tires and the new brand also bursted. After changing brands and finding that the tire still bursted I have concluded that perhaps it is not the tire itself but is the car? The dealership refuses to take any responsibility and same with the tire company. Within the first year, the first tire burst. The second tire burst after a year and a half, and 2 weeks after the regular manintenance check. Recently I had a $600 maintenance checkup from Hyundai and the tire bursted 2 weeks after as well!

If anyone else is facing tire problems, I would like to know about it [non-permissible content removed].