2009 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
This is a great car
By ggracchus on 09/05/14 09:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Of course it gets great MPG and is reliable. Our favorite thing about it, though, may seem a bit odd -- it is that it has a button that permits air recirculation for the fan, heater and AC. You may think this is common, but the difference is that once you set it to recirculate instead of pull air from the outside, it STAYS ON. Other vehicles will do an override, like our Ford, that will shut it off. Those types of vehicles think they are smarter than you are, and if the humidity or whatever gets to a certain level, off it goes. We really, really hate breathing pollution from the cars in front of us -- the fan will pull it right from their exhaust pipe into your face.

I love this car, 50MPG is easily attainable.
By drunkenrobot on 07/29/14 08:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car from new. It has been exceptionally reliable. I've never had a problem with it. I average 40-50 MPG on the highway and 30-40 MPG in the city. It is very fuel efficient for the price. My only issues that the seats are a bit uncomfortable on very long trips. I drive for two days each way to my summer vacation spot, and my back hurts after each run. Two doors was enough when I bought it, but limber passengers are a requirement to get into the back, though there is plenty of legroom back there. With the back seats down, the cargo area is enormous, we have shoved mountains of stuff in there. 100K on it so far, no issues.

Bad Mileage
By jeniferlw on 08/15/13 05:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car used a little over 2 years ago. It had high mileage but the price was right and I trusted the Hyundai brand. Boy was I wrong. The car functioned fairly well for the first 2 years, I was getting the street mileage ( 26 mpg) but was no where close to the highway mileage (35 mpg). Then in April my mileage suddenly dropped. Since then I now average 20 mpg, which is 200 miles per tank. Basically I can no longer afford to drive the car. I contacted Hyundai who told me to take it to their service dept. I have spent over $500 to try and figure out the issue. The only thing left to try is the fuel consumption test, which I am saving up for.

Wonderful car!
By margarets_dad on 06/10/13 09:39 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 42,500 miles, and have put on another 5,000. This is a fantastic car for the city--very durable and fits into the parking spaces that are too small for everyone else. The car drives very nicely, and has a substantial feel for its size. Its handling is excellent, and although it doesn't have a huge amount of power (how much do you really need anyway, unless you're in the Indy 500?), the engine is very peppy with the manual transmission and it has more than enough oomph for day-to-day driving. Depreciation on Hyundais is still pretty bad (undeservedly so), which is bad for the original owner, but great if you want to get a high-quality used car at a great price.

Amazing car
By highmiles9 on 12/29/12 09:37 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 3 years now and 170,000kms. Its been great. I tow a trailer with it and it will tow a small trailers with ease. I have done nothing to this car over the time ownership. I have done two sway bar links. 2 ignition coils under warranty. One blower motor, and anti theft module, connector and ignition antenna ring. Other then that just maintenance i haven't even worn through the brakes yet. This car is fun to drive with the factory 16" wheels it takes a corner fast. I'm tall and this car fits me well and gets great gas millage. This car was almost half the price of Japanese competitor but wayyy better.

Tire Problems Hyundai Accent SE 2009
By farahk on 05/15/12 11:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Hyundai Accent since 2009 August. I have been comepleting regular checkups at the dealership and the car has been performing well. I have driven for 5 years prior to buying this car. Other cars I have driven include the Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra and Kia Spectra. Obviously those are bigger sedans than the Accent. I have a clean driving record as well. One issue I have found is braking in poor weather conditions. Expecially when there is a layer of snow on the ground, the car tends to slip (compared to the other cars I have driven). The main conern I have had was the tires. I have had 3 bursted tires since I have bought this car. con't...

Great Car
By whitetree on 05/01/12 16:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Overal the 2009 Hyundai Accent has been a great car. For three years and 55,000 miles I have not had a single problem with it. The engine lay out is simple and easy to access for regular maintenance and inspection. The only things I don't like are poor visability and poor performance.

not one problem @ 30,000 miles
By sssannndmannn on 02/20/11 12:24 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

We chose this car over the Kia Soul (headrests were too far forward, pushing on our heads) and the Honda Fit (too small inside, too few features for too much money). The bad: no glove box light; no temp gauge; too little storage; only 28 MPG (my '89 Integra got 33 on my exact same daily commute); driver's center armrest is too low; and the steering is too sensitive when you're just going straight. The good: best sound system and best cupholders I've ever used in a car, very comfortable, and not one problem yet at 30,000 miles. I change the oil myself and the attention to detail and quality is everywhere, even under the car. All around one of the best small cars, but still miss my Integra.

Poor Gas mileage No overdrive
By chriskaline on 12/02/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall this car has been awesome! The only problem is:gas mileage not fitting this car, 25 to 27 overall is not very good, no overdrive, it is simply a fifth gear. At 70 mph it turns appox. 3500 rpm, that is not good and certainly effects gas mileage.

Problems
By Patricia A. Ellis on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Elimination of the rear wiper and the addition of the rear spoiler make it impossible to see out the rear window when it is raining or snowing when you are driving. This is a significant safety issue. Why include XM Radio when OnStar would make more sense? The rear spoiler is noisy, particularly when the wind is blowing. Tire wear continues to be a problem. I have had difficulty with tire wear on all of the Hyundai vehicles I have owned. I have been disappointed in the gas mileage. I got better mileage with my Elantra. The small size of the gas tank is also a disappointment.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Accent in VA is:

$133 per month*