Used 2008 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

I beat [violative content deleted] out of this car everyday!
By 2canchew

2008 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it new in 2008 and I beat [violative content deleted] out of this car everytime i drive it. It has bounced off the rev limiter thousands of times. Its screams @ 4500-5000rpm driving down the hwy everyday. I have over 110,000 miles on it now and it runs as good as new. doesn't burn oil or coolant. I still have the original brakes on it and its four years old and it gets smothered in Canadian salty roads 7 months of the year. Bottom line best car ever made nothing fancy but im going to drive this one into the ground and buy a new one no questions asked. I'm a Hyundai owner for life.

Takes a beating and keeps coming back for more!!!

Hyundai needs a turbo model

good value
By sbrothers

2008 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback w/XM (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

this is not a great car, but it is a good solid well built reliable car. our 5-speed manual averages about 34 mpg per tank full. we have had minor problems: check engine light (loose gas cap?) and tire warning light that kept coming on---dealer said they reset the onboard computer. other than basic oil and filter changes we have had no other expenses in about 3 years of driving.

fold-up rear seat. with the rear seat pulled up and the rear seat backs pushed down there is an amazing amount of hauling area.

gas milage could be better

Cannot Bring myself to trade it
By generalflea

2008 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback w/XM Option (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought this car back in June of 2008 and it has been one of the best decisions ever! The little guy, (now known as the General Flea due to its color (tango red) being close to the General Lee and the way I can drive it) has been faithful at every turn. We bought it with 2 miles on the clock and it now has close to 50,000 without any trouble, just gas, some oil, and a couple of airfilters. The transmission at first was rough but I added a more sporting clutch setup and it has alleviated the rough transmission. This car has been known to hit 51mpg on the highway before and usually has a combined city/highway of 36mpg, well above its estimate. Overall great car!

The sound system is great for such a cheap machine, sharp steering and a size that can fit anywhere while carrying 5 people and some gear in the back, 4 people are more comfortable however. Easy to work on and perform your own oil changes and such, and hardly anything goes wrong so there is not much else you do. Great looking too.

Stock transmission setup on the 5 speed could use work (2012 models now have 6 speeds and may be better), needs more gauges, I am kind of old school and I would like a coolant temp gauge over a dummy light.

Good car for the $$
By soccerwinner

2008 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan w/XM (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have driven a Ford Escort, and a Honda Civic, and the Accent is right up there in mpg. It is a simple car, no bells and whistles, but I don't mind. Like people have said acceleration isn't the best, but all you have to do is turn the overdrive off and it does just fine. It's no race car, but it can get up and go. It's a great first car, since it's cheap and good on gas. It's not in my category of fancy but it is a car. You pay for a simple car, and that is what you get. I haven't had any problems with the car.

It looks great, gas mileage is pretty good, value, price, warranty, trunk space.

acceleration, shifting, center console, passenger comfort

Too Good To Be True?
By rkesten

2008 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Hyundai Accent with only 32k miles on it bout a month ago. it is still under warranty for about another year and a half and I gained incentives from the dealership that covers then engine for the entire time I own the car. I'm sure glad I have the warranty becuase tomorrow I have to bring the car in to be looked at. For the past few days the check engine light flashes on, and slows down while doing so. This only happens on my way to work (I have even let my car warm up to see if this works--it did not). Also, the transmition is slow. When i shift from reverse to drive, it has a pretty decently long delay. I find this almost dangerous if I need to back up and drive qucikly.

I love the interior of the car, it is very comfortable, perfect for a shorter person (I am 5ft 1in with short legs). I have been able to fit many things in the car, as I have recently moved and packed my car to the max..it held more than my 1999 Saturn Station Wagon did. I am very satisfied by the space and comfort of the inside. I also love how well my AC works and my sterio system.

Transistion needs improving, engine needs some improvements as well. The gas tank is very small, I am supposed to get more gas per gallon, but its hard to tell, I need to get gas so often!