2008 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
Very good car
By ahtoh1 on 05/19/13 09:34 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback w/XM Option (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Got it new. Now has 110,000KM. Few minor issues that dealer repaired no problem. Overall quality of the car is very good. I would advise to drop it off at the dealer for a full checkup just before warranty runs out. On my car the bracket that holds exhaust pipe rutted out and i did not notice after warranty ran out. I really like the look of the car. I owned 1986 excel, then first and second generation of Accent and now 3rd generation Accent. 3rd generation is almost perfect.

Just purchased
By kmunroe on 12/07/12 01:50 AM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Yes I first decided to test-drive my 2008 Hyundai Accent DS because of the pretty Apple Green color. First stick shift in 10 years; will take getting used to driving standard again. Granted this little car doesn't have power seats/windows/side mirrors. It doesn't have cruise control/tilt wheel. But it does have A/C and a CD player. My former car (2000 Taurus) had all the above except no CD player and the A/C didn't work for 8 years. It handles well and I like the stick-shift; you have more control. I suspect the car will also handle well in the snow because of the stick.

Excellent gas mileage
By connie50 on 11/18/12 10:53 AM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the Accent because of price and gas mileage and referral from a friend. He said mileage exceeds the posted mileage on sticker. The mileage on this car was 27-29 mpg highway. We CONSISTANTLY get 30+ running around in town and 35+ highway. So now that the news states Hhyndai over states their mileage on their stickers is TOTALLY wrong. We have had this car for 5 years and alway get min 30 mpg and usually 33-34 every time we fill up and we check our mileage every time. We get better mileage with gas from Holiday or Amoco.

FAIL CAR and Dealerships
By bamagurl251 on 01/12/12 18:38 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback w/XM Option (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

This is the email I just finished writing Hyundai about their 'Accent' and a dealership I am working with! My step-father Dale purchased an 2008, Nordic White, Hyundai Accent from Palmer's Airport Hyundai as a gift for me back in late August early September 2008. I was in an accident in November 2008 where the seat belt snapped out of the safety position, the front end was shoved into the rear cradle suspension, all because the car failed to brake going 10 miles per hour and instead of hitting on coming traffic I swerved still hitting the brakes that did not work into an small median out in front of my place of business. My arm was shoved through the windshield as the air bag deployed late, and was sliced by the seat belt across my chest. I had the car repaired, and because it was new they would not total the car. After several thousand miles of travel to and from Florida on business, I began having transmission problems, the dealership replaced the transmission, and then the alternator went out and was replaced again. Following that 2008-2009 winter, the transmission went out again in the summer, I had the car taken into a different dealership (EASTERN SHORE HYUNDAI) in which the car was not purchased the first time for the the first transmission. Starting in 2008 problems began with the dealership (Palmer's Airport Hyundai). I am writing this because not only did I have an issue with your 'Road side assistance' that I have addressed in a previous E-mail, I have had several issues with the car and the dealership in which the car was purchased from. In 2009 when my transmission and alternator was replaced by the dealership, I lost my job because the dealership would not grant me a rental vehicle. In 2009 I also had issues with the radiator that was not damaged in the above stated crash and the dealership was to replace it. Instead the dealership replaced the hoses on the radiator as it was leaking profusely on to the ground. Again in 2010 following another problem with the car 'the ignition and belt' I had another transmission failure and was replaced for a third time. This time it was taken to Palmer's for the second time for a transmission from this dealership. When I received the car, my gas had been ran out, there was a food receipt that did not belong to me or anyone that I knew, and the AC unit had been re-wired to that when you turned it on hot was cold and cold was hot. Thinking that perhaps the car had no anti-freeze I placed some in the car, low and behold, it was not the anti-freeze, it was the doings of the mechanics at the shop at Palmer's Airport Hyundai. Following the crisscrossed AC unit and transmission issue being taken up with Palmer's Airport Hyundai, I began having brake troubles, even with new brakes where when I went over bumps my car would not stop I had to STAND in my drivers seat and put full weight on the breaks to make the car stop. I took the car into Palmer's and they reported back to me that nothing was wrong with the car. Again the gas in my car was on FULL when it was taken in and when returned to me the GAS was below 3/4 of a tank. Fine, I took the car to FIRESTONE and had brakes and tires replaced and still the car was not grasping the full effect of 'STOP'. At this point I noticed that I did not any longer need to push the release button on my Emergency break that it just all of the sudden comes up. I let it go seeing as how Palmer's kept informing me nothing was wrong with the car. Also in 2010 there was an cylinder miss fire and the car was not firing on all cylinders only three, and a gasket had busted off in the vehicle that took Palmer's nearly 4 weeks to repair, when they informed me it would take a week and they would be able to fix it within the week and release the car to me. Low and behold I waited nearly 4 weeks for my car to be returned to me. Between that time my mother and I both called for check-ups on the car, and nobody could give us a straight answer. 2011 - My step Father signed the car over to me in November and the car was taken back into Palmer's due to a leak and the hoses where repaired and the car was returned to me fine no problems. Following this last visit to Palmer's Airport Hyundai where the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT was on and there was a fluid leak in the vehicle coming from SOMEWHERE that I nor 2 other family members could find out where, TODAY the car was returned to me again with an 'There is no problems with the car.' That was a total Lie. When I started the car in the parking lot of Palmer's Airport Hyundai it began to rattle like a tin can full of marbles. I know this is not normal for my car at all!!!! I started my car down the road heading towards home, and I kept hearing this high pitched noise and it sounded like my car had an JET ENGINE placed inside of the driving compartment. This is not and NEVER was normal for my vehicle. Instead of Palmer's FIXING my vehicle they have once again messed it up. The car was never ran which they stated they did, the gas tank was still on full just as I had left it. I was expecting like normal for the gas in my car to be GONE when I take it into Palmer's. The car now sits in my driveway as we try to think of an alternative to the broken vehicle and I refuse to take it back into Palmer's Airport Hyundai. I am very unsatisfied with the vehicle and I am very unsatisfied by the work that this DEALERSHIP has done. I have never in all my life ever seen so much failure in supposed 'certified technician's ' While the service providers are friendly, they continue to mess up my car. I would seriously like some compensation for this or some sort of alternative from you the company of Hyundai. Im really fed up. Im irritated with the car, I am irritated with the company that SOLD the car too me, and I am irritated with the problems I am having and the 118.00$ they want to charge me for junk they will just mess up again.

I beat [violative content deleted] out of this car everyday!
By 2canchew on 01/09/12 23:55 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it new in 2008 and I beat [violative content deleted] out of this car everytime i drive it. It has bounced off the rev limiter thousands of times. Its screams @ 4500-5000rpm driving down the hwy everyday. I have over 110,000 miles on it now and it runs as good as new. doesn't burn oil or coolant. I still have the original brakes on it and its four years old and it gets smothered in Canadian salty roads 7 months of the year. Bottom line best car ever made nothing fancy but im going to drive this one into the ground and buy a new one no questions asked. I'm a Hyundai owner for life.

good value
By sbrothers on 08/03/11 07:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Accent SE 2dr Hatchback w/XM (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

this is not a great car, but it is a good solid well built reliable car. our 5-speed manual averages about 34 mpg per tank full. we have had minor problems: check engine light (loose gas cap?) and tire warning light that kept coming on---dealer said they reset the onboard computer. other than basic oil and filter changes we have had no other expenses in about 3 years of driving.

Cannot Bring myself to trade it
By generalflea on 06/24/11 09:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback w/XM Option (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought this car back in June of 2008 and it has been one of the best decisions ever! The little guy, (now known as the General Flea due to its color (tango red) being close to the General Lee and the way I can drive it) has been faithful at every turn. We bought it with 2 miles on the clock and it now has close to 50,000 without any trouble, just gas, some oil, and a couple of airfilters. The transmission at first was rough but I added a more sporting clutch setup and it has alleviated the rough transmission. This car has been known to hit 51mpg on the highway before and usually has a combined city/highway of 36mpg, well above its estimate. Overall great car!

Good car for the $$
By soccerwinner on 05/14/11 18:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan w/XM (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have driven a Ford Escort, and a Honda Civic, and the Accent is right up there in mpg. It is a simple car, no bells and whistles, but I don't mind. Like people have said acceleration isn't the best, but all you have to do is turn the overdrive off and it does just fine. It's no race car, but it can get up and go. It's a great first car, since it's cheap and good on gas. It's not in my category of fancy but it is a car. You pay for a simple car, and that is what you get. I haven't had any problems with the car.

Too Good To Be True?
By rkesten on 05/10/11 10:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Hyundai Accent with only 32k miles on it bout a month ago. it is still under warranty for about another year and a half and I gained incentives from the dealership that covers then engine for the entire time I own the car. I'm sure glad I have the warranty becuase tomorrow I have to bring the car in to be looked at. For the past few days the check engine light flashes on, and slows down while doing so. This only happens on my way to work (I have even let my car warm up to see if this works--it did not). Also, the transmition is slow. When i shift from reverse to drive, it has a pretty decently long delay. I find this almost dangerous if I need to back up and drive qucikly.

Mucho Bueno
By Don Tony on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought it 0 miles {new} {dealer had about 6 of them just received from Hyundai and some 2009 also} After reaching 1200 miles I took a little trip to see how it behave, it did beautiful love the responsive handling although the engine is a bit weak (hard to accelerate when you are moving on the highway). Have not checked for mpg but I suspect it's in the high 20's...So far, So good

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.