2005 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
This car just keeps going
By chehalispete on 01/01/13 11:19 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car out of desperation when my old car died. I was looking for anything when I went to a dealer who pushed it on me more or less. I felt I paid a little too much but whatever. I bought it 6 1/2 years ago with 13,000 miles on it. Today I'm at 200,000 and the only problem I have had is the timing chain went out (my fault since I should have changed it). It is hands down THE MOST reliable car I have ever owned. I'm always looking at other cars, but I know I will keep driving this thing just to see how long it will last. It reinforces my theory that cars you love will screw you over, but cars you don't car about will serve you well for years.

I so love my little car!
By jannes on 07/16/12 16:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Accent GT 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car used in 2007 w/ 25K miles on it after owning an Excel, it's older sister. There was one major issue it had immediately after purchase (speed sensors went out - totally covered by warranty). Heard it's good to change timing belt before 100K so had a full $500 tune-up done then and have never had an issue in the now 5 years I've had it & only done routine oil changes otherwise. I have maintained 35 mpg consistently in town and 40 mpg highway. Plush? Frills? Sporty power? No - but if you're ok with feeling the road under you and enjoy great gas mileage & the joys of a hatchback, an Accent rules! Con: poor visiblity out the back window due to its 'bubble butt' as I call it.

Durable, practical & affordable
By HyundaiMomma on 07/09/10 11:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was just out of college & driving a '05 Ford Escort when I bought the Accent new. I test drove a '05 Elantra & preferred it to the Accent for 2 reasons (smoother shifting & a quieter ride). However the Accent was more affordable on my tight budget. 5 years & 65K miles later, I haven't had to have any work done on it. I've replaced the tires as part of routine maintenance. A few months ago a party driving around 25 mph rear-ended my Accent. Damage was limited to the bumper. Sometimes I feel a little crowded when there is someone else riding in front with me but my son feels comfortable riding in the back. Sharp handling and good breaking - a zippy car that maneuvers tight spaces well

Honest Review
By jnall321 on 06/10/10 22:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my car for about 3 months now. I got this after my 97 Saturn SL1 bit the dust. Overall I LOVE my car! About 2 months after I got it, an idiot on his phone slammed on the brakes and when I hit him, the bumper of his SUV popped my grill in and dented my hood. Repairs shouldn't be horrific. Exterior is great, love the rear. Interior is average. Nothing special. Tape player? REALLY? My 97 had CD stock! Handles very well, brakes aren't super sensitive. Fun to drive! Fits 2 car seats very easily. Solid body-no flimsy fiberglass. Overall I LOVE this little car! I payed far too much through the dealer, but that's life...Overall very pleased. Great for daily driver!

Reliable Car
By Jim on 12/22/09 13:32 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

A great basic reliable commuter. Not very attractive inside or out, but it does it job at a very low cost. I drive it 104 miles to and from work every day and after 125,000 miles have only replaced light bulbs and tires (amazingly, it still has the original brake pads!) This is a well built, rugged and inexpensive little car. It is not comfortable nor fun to drive. Acceleration is adequate and handling on dry rods is OK. Wet/slick road handling is very poor, however. Also, gas mileage is not quite as good as I would like from such a small car, but is in the high 20's. I do not recommend as a first car because of its poor wet/slick road handling, however.

Nice Accent
By Gordy on 09/05/09 07:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

A nice compact for the price. Very reliable. Handles well, but a little bumpy on uneven roads. Great warranty. Only problem has been to replace spark plug wires after check engine light displayed, and this was handled promptly by the Hyundai dealer.

Good for few years if your a new driver
By boulevard226 on 07/31/09 13:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was a fairly new driver when I got mine, and this just may not be the car for me, but I do not like it. I had a nice Chevy Cavalier before this car and it was amazing so maybe I am comparing them unfairly. The engine struggles to accelerate. The dash is beyond plain and boring. The Sony Explode system I installed makes the car vibrate like crazy. I am tall and it limits my passengers cause if the seat is all the way back, I lose the seat behind me. All and all I only recommend this car as a starter for a youngster. Only thing good about this car is the MPG of about 30. Cant wait to get my 2010 Chevy Silverado! Think American.

Hyundai Accent = Lemon
By JoJoF8c on 07/21/09 18:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 1st new car I bought in hopes it was a reliable car and wouldn't break down cuz its new. Since buying it, I have put in $5000 in just repairs. The dealer refuses to listen to me, cause I'm a girl & car was in a cosmetic accident a yr after buying it. Exterior of car was damaged only, but a year later it just refused to start and continues to have the same problem. Plus the radiator, water reservoir, thermostat all went out and now it won't stop overheating and it gives no notice that it is overheating, it just shuts off. In the last 2 weeks I have spent $2000 on it & been to mechanic 4 x. Never buy a hyundai again, not a quality car.

Hello high maintenence cost!
By dj on 05/02/09 18:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Well, ive had my 2005 accent for just over a year now, and put over 20,000 miles on it. My old Toyota finally took a dump, and I needed a car asap for my pizza delivery job. So I got suckered into this car because it was the only one I could get financed on. It didnt come with a owners manual. Ive had to take it in 3 times already, now they tell me I have to change the crappy timing belt every 6 months at $500 bucks a pop, how can I possibly afford this on a min. Wage job? classic buyers remorse!

QUALITY GOOD/MPG BAD
By drew on 03/10/09 18:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It's a peppy fast little car for the size of the car and area that I live in which is nothing but steep hills. The car had 26,000 on it when I purchased it and I only put 10,000 on it since then and I did not need to repair anything for it so far. The gas mpg could be better, I drive in the city 99% of the time but I only average 20-22 mpg. When I drive the highway, the mirrors seem to roll down a bit causing air to seep in causing loud whistling noise