Used 2005 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

This car just keeps going
By chehalispete

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car out of desperation when my old car died. I was looking for anything when I went to a dealer who pushed it on me more or less. I felt I paid a little too much but whatever. I bought it 6 1/2 years ago with 13,000 miles on it. Today I'm at 200,000 and the only problem I have had is the timing chain went out (my fault since I should have changed it). It is hands down THE MOST reliable car I have ever owned. I'm always looking at other cars, but I know I will keep driving this thing just to see how long it will last. It reinforces my theory that cars you love will screw you over, but cars you don't car about will serve you well for years.

Gets good mileage. Sort of fun to drive since I like a stick shift. The factory cassette tape deck in a 2005 car never ceases to amaze me. The Koreans really have their finger on the pulse of American audio technology. I like the simplicity of it even though lately I have been looking at Cadillacs, Buicks, and Oldsmobiles with all the bells and whistles.

Nothing. I would say the tape deck, but then the car would be ABSOLUTELY no fun.

I so love my little car!
By jannes

2005 Hyundai Accent GT 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car used in 2007 w/ 25K miles on it after owning an Excel, it's older sister. There was one major issue it had immediately after purchase (speed sensors went out - totally covered by warranty). Heard it's good to change timing belt before 100K so had a full $500 tune-up done then and have never had an issue in the now 5 years I've had it & only done routine oil changes otherwise. I have maintained 35 mpg consistently in town and 40 mpg highway. Plush? Frills? Sporty power? No - but if you're ok with feeling the road under you and enjoy great gas mileage & the joys of a hatchback, an Accent rules! Con: poor visiblity out the back window due to its 'bubble butt' as I call it.

Gas mileage

better rear design for improved view, pop-out windows in back seat like the Excel had, tighter turning radius

Durable, practical & affordable
By HyundaiMomma

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was just out of college & driving a '05 Ford Escort when I bought the Accent new. I test drove a '05 Elantra & preferred it to the Accent for 2 reasons (smoother shifting & a quieter ride). However the Accent was more affordable on my tight budget. 5 years & 65K miles later, I haven't had to have any work done on it. I've replaced the tires as part of routine maintenance. A few months ago a party driving around 25 mph rear-ended my Accent. Damage was limited to the bumper. Sometimes I feel a little crowded when there is someone else riding in front with me but my son feels comfortable riding in the back. Sharp handling and good breaking - a zippy car that maneuvers tight spaces well

Sporty looking for an economy car. Good price! Good gas mileage.

Is there any way the ride could be quieter on the highways? Larger cup holders. Extra electrical outlet, maybe in the back, to charge phones & game systems. USB outlet to play music from MP3 player. Tilting steering wheel.

Honest Review
By jnall321

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my car for about 3 months now. I got this after my 97 Saturn SL1 bit the dust. Overall I LOVE my car! About 2 months after I got it, an idiot on his phone slammed on the brakes and when I hit him, the bumper of his SUV popped my grill in and dented my hood. Repairs shouldn't be horrific. Exterior is great, love the rear. Interior is average. Nothing special. Tape player? REALLY? My 97 had CD stock! Handles very well, brakes aren't super sensitive. Fun to drive! Fits 2 car seats very easily. Solid body-no flimsy fiberglass. Overall I LOVE this little car! I payed far too much through the dealer, but that's life...Overall very pleased. Great for daily driver!

A/C is super cold. Tap player is okay with an iPod adapter. Rear of the car. Emergency handle inside trunk.

Wish the bumpers were higher and absorbed more shock, front end could be shortened a little for a sportier look. Power windows/locks would be the icing on the cake.

Reliable Car
By Jim

2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

A great basic reliable commuter. Not very attractive inside or out, but it does it job at a very low cost. I drive it 104 miles to and from work every day and after 125,000 miles have only replaced light bulbs and tires (amazingly, it still has the original brake pads!) This is a well built, rugged and inexpensive little car. It is not comfortable nor fun to drive. Acceleration is adequate and handling on dry rods is OK. Wet/slick road handling is very poor, however. Also, gas mileage is not quite as good as I would like from such a small car, but is in the high 20's. I do not recommend as a first car because of its poor wet/slick road handling, however.

Simple and straight forward design. It leaves nothing to figure out. Reliable and inexpensive to maintain and operate. Great warranty.

Manual windows have too much wind noise. They do not seal well. The car is noisy (engine, transmission and road noise). ABS is a must. Otherwise breaking performance and handling is very uneven. Only by the grace of God have I avoided deer and road hazards.