Used 2004 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Accent

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Most Helpful|
Great Little Starter Car
By Liz

2004 Hyundai Accent GL 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as my first new car and have loved it ever since. Gas mileage is great either highway or city (I drive stick). Have had no major repairs but am up to 200K Km now and it is in need of a windshield washer motor, new windshield, and possibly clutch problems. Still drives smoothly. A little noisy but it is a small car so to be expected. Sound system is awesome! I've replaced the breaks once and do annual tire changes for winter/summer. Perfect car for single or young couple, doesn't fit our growing family anymore, no room to put down 60/40 seats with a carseat. Can't put carseat in middle because there is a bump. Need four doors. Headlights are not bright enough.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, comfort on long distance drives, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

No bump in middle of back seat, cupholders in backseat, better warranty coverage!

Worth the money
By John

2004 Hyundai Accent GT 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 5 years now and the only expensive thing ive done to it was a timing belt. (Part of 60,000 mi service). Other than that it has given me no problems. You cant beat a 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 10 year 100,000 mile engine and power train warranty. The warranty was why I bought this car. I just wish other makes of vehicles would do the same.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Make car easier to sit in for 6 foot tall driver.

My 2004 Accent
By jann6

2004 Hyundai Accent 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mt Accent in 2005 as a new car. It has never let me down, I now have 126,000 plus kilometres. I have always serviced it at 7500 kilometres or every 6 months and have had no trouble. The only thing that worries me is that the tyres wear out a lot faster than other cars I have had, I am onto my 4th set of new tyres, maybe I should have had more wheel balances done, I think this could be a downer. Still it is a great car and I would recommend it to anyone seeking a used car. ps it is a manual and my 17 yr old daughter has found it really easy to drive!!

Favorite Features

Size, handling, easy on petrol and is really comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

More grunt is needed going up hills, eg Cambewarra Mountain. Has no power if air-con is on.

10 yr Review - Fantastic value!
By diydriver

2004 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle in 2008 as the third owner (1st yr, rental car company;2nd owner, military who commuted 60 miles each way to base). Bought for $5400 w/55k miles, I drove it for 2yrs locally, going to work, errands on weekend, avg'd 29/city. Took a job 102 miles each way, commuted each day for 18 months, avg'd 35 highway! Mileage at start of job was 70k, 145k when done. Since then, local commute is all-city, avg 28mpg. I now have 170k miles, and the only major expenses I've had are tires, wheel bearings, and FWD axles. Also replaced a few broken door handles, spark plugs, plug wires, & belts, but those are cheap. Most reliable and cheapest car to operate I've EVER owned in 30 years.

Favorite Features

Extremely cheap to own and operate. Parts are next to nothing to purchase. Even replacement body parts from a small fender bender are cheap to replace. I'm 6', 230, and not fat. The seats to me are extremely comfortable. If you like working on your own car, which I do, the website for service information is fantastic with full graphics, instructions, and specifications.

Suggested Improvements

This car has already been improved on over the years. I'd buy another in a heartbeat! I don't know what other improvements they've done but cruise would be nice. Also, a redesigned trunk opening with a lower lip to slide in large bulky items would be good for those who don't buy a hatchback model.

Great inexpensive car
By Howie

2004 Hyundai Accent 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Got my '04 Accent 5spd at used dealership tent sale a couple months ago. It had 4975 miles total and I got it for $6500 plus tax...around $7200 OTD! How can you beat that for a car that was practically NEW w/a great warranty? I ride my motorcycle 90% of the time out here in CA but needed an inxpensive reliable car for errands, taking the dog to the park..etc. This car so far has been excellent...no frills....am/fm cassette only but has A/C. Good on gas and drives really nice for a little car. 5spd is actually kinda peppy. Can ride 80mph w/out much problem. Styling is nice. Buy one used...they can be had for MUCH under msrp....almost 1/2 with low miles. Very happy w/the Accent!

Favorite Features

cheap to own! rides great! good on gas. nice styling

Suggested Improvements

a remote trunk release on the base model like mine would be nice but I got no complaints....car is such a bargain for what you get.