Used 2004 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Accent

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Great economy car
By Stew

2004 Hyundai Accent 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 04 Accent because I needed a very fuel efficient car. I bought it with 55K miles on it and have had very little problems with it, I replaced the timing belt myself at 60K miles per the maintenance schedule, the upstream O2 sensor went bad so I replaced that myself, and have been doing regular oil/filter changes. The airbag light did go on, took it to the dealer for a diagnostic but haven't had it repaired yet. It's a 5-speed and I average between 42 and 43 MPG with 75% freeway driving. I bought this car because I needed a fuel efficient commuter car to rack up a bunch of miles and it's fit the bill very well.

Favorite Features

Excellent fuel economy. Good ride for a sub compact.

Suggested Improvements

Headlamp road illumination could be better. Temp gauge doesn't accurately reflect engine temp. OBDII scan tool shows engine temp varies between 182 and 204 deg with no temp gauge needle movement. RPM are too high in 5th gear, let's at least get them down to 2500 at 60mph.

Very good car
By Dan-R

2004 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is an absolutely wonderful small car. I use it to go to work everyday. Very very reliable. I am hitting around 35mpg on highway. I have never spent any money to fix anything (there weren't many) yet. Hyundai honors their warranty very well.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, user-friendly dashboard controls.

Suggested Improvements

Larger wheels. The wheels are 13' - not very good on bumpy/dirt roads or on snow.

gotta love a lemon
By debm

2004 Hyundai Accent 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

All I've ever heard was how great these cars are. Once you buy one you'll never buy anything else. I've had nothing but little issues with her since I bought her. But they've been constant. The horn stopped working. The left blinker doesn't go off by itself. It has an intermittent ignition issue (hesitates badly only a few days out of the moth and then she's fine). The list goes on. And just recently I realized I was filling my gas tank up way to often. So I clocked it. I'm only getting 20 miles per gallon! How is that possible?

Favorite Features

the size. handles well.

Suggested Improvements

where do I begin?

75,000 miles and no problems
By NikoinCA

2004 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just hit the 75,000 mile mark and haven't had a single problem. I quite literally just change the oil, haven't had to do a single thing except normal routine maintenance like new transmission fluid and timing belt. Highway mileage is great, I average about 33. City mileage is pretty bad, I average about 20. The cars look is pretty bland and the resale value is laughable. But if your thinking about buying this car and you can find it for under 45,000 miles and under 7 thousand bucks I highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

Seat is comfortable. Plenty of legroom. I'm 6'2, 275 pounds and I'm very comfortable. Automatic transmission is smooth. Extremely reliable car.

Suggested Improvements

Standard cruise control.

Best bang for your buck
By EPowers

2004 Hyundai Accent GL 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second car, my first being a 1996 Saab 900SE Convert. I got the Accent because though the Saab was great in the snow and on gas, the cost to repair it was crazy so was the time it took. The Accent doesn't have these problems at all! Still good in snow and on gas! It doesn't have the turbo the saab did but it still has plenty of punch being almost 1000 lbs lighter. Best $4000 I ever spent (yep, thats right, 4K).

Favorite Features

Low cost, great gas mileage, looks, easy to work on, and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk release would be nice. That and better headlights are the only two things I can think of.