Used 2004 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

What an economical find!
By pamedict

2004 Hyundai Accent GT 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Originally bought my son a used 2002 2- Door GS Accent to drive to school in 2008. Had to drive it a few times and was impressed with the handling, power and overall comfort since I'm a big person. Not fancy, but functional so I decided to keep my eyes open for another one for my daughter who will turn 16 this summer. I found a 2-door Accent GT, one owner in relatively good looking condition. After a Car Fax report and a phone call to the dealer who sold and serviced the car I made an offer to the local used car dealer and we negotiated for a day or two and I bought the vehicle in February. Have put a couple thousand miles on it and I find it to be a great vehicle for the money spent so far.

Gas mileage for an automatic on the highway is exceptional; getting like 33-36 when I'm on the 'turnpike' and I don't have to do 'stop and go driving'. City driving I'm getting between 28-30 and I am very pleased with that. Put new tires on it a battery and some other issues were taken care of.

Offer electronic window / door locks as an option package. Little bigger cup holders and armrests for both front seats would be nice. Interior light should come on when you get in the vehicle and a remote door release for the back hatch would be a nice convenience.

Trouble child
By kenosmom

2004 Hyundai Accent GT 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Accent GT new and regretted that purchase! Transmission troubles plagued it (my neighbor also has an '04 Accent and had to have tranny replaced at 30,000 miles). Blew out valves upon traveling over Blue Ridge mountains. Traded it in after owning for a troublesome 8 months for a Jeep. Never looked back! My first and last Hyundai!

Fairly comfortable seating position for driver.

Better quality powertrain and improve reliability. Also would benefit from more room in rear seat area (look at VW Rabbit!)

Hyundai has proven itself reliable
By JordanG

2004 Hyundai Accent 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My car's coming up on 100,000 miles and nothing at all has acted older than brand new. With the 5 speed manual transmission, it feels quicker than most other cars in its class, probably because it weighs in at only slightly over a ton. I've driven a lot of cars with manual transmission, including a Honda Civic with 30,000 miles, and I can safely say this car has the smoothest and easiest shifter I've ever used, even at 100,000 miles. The fuel economy is right around that Civic/Corolla 30 mpg range. Overall, it's a very basic, no frills, reliable car, and it's hardly left a dent in my pocket at all.

Manual transmission, reliability

Road noise is high.

So-so Car
By Mef

2004 Hyundai Accent GL 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

For a small economy car it is reasonably fun to drive. It also comes with some unexpected features such as power heated mirrors, and lumbar support. On the downside there is lots though. Lacks acceleration, too much engine noise, idles high and burns more gas than it should (a tradeoff for power). Has had two axle boots, and the rear struts replaced under warranty due to leaks/tears. AC quit, stereo quit. Both also fixed in warranty. Stereo still randomly cuts out and the AC sometimes makes a grinding noise when turned on.

Power package - mirrors, windows, door locks. Peppy, and looks okay.

Reliability issues, cheap plastic interior, no ABS. Improve engine and fuel mileage.

Great Little Starter Car
By Liz

2004 Hyundai Accent GL 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as my first new car and have loved it ever since. Gas mileage is great either highway or city (I drive stick). Have had no major repairs but am up to 200K Km now and it is in need of a windshield washer motor, new windshield, and possibly clutch problems. Still drives smoothly. A little noisy but it is a small car so to be expected. Sound system is awesome! I've replaced the breaks once and do annual tire changes for winter/summer. Perfect car for single or young couple, doesn't fit our growing family anymore, no room to put down 60/40 seats with a carseat. Can't put carseat in middle because there is a bump. Need four doors. Headlights are not bright enough.

Gas mileage, comfort on long distance drives, sound system.

No bump in middle of back seat, cupholders in backseat, better warranty coverage!