Used 2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

10 yr Review - Fantastic value!
By diydriver

2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle in 2008 as the third owner (1st yr, rental car company;2nd owner, military who commuted 60 miles each way to base). Bought for $5400 w/55k miles, I drove it for 2yrs locally, going to work, errands on weekend, avg'd 29/city. Took a job 102 miles each way, commuted each day for 18 months, avg'd 35 highway! Mileage at start of job was 70k, 145k when done. Since then, local commute is all-city, avg 28mpg. I now have 170k miles, and the only major expenses I've had are tires, wheel bearings, and FWD axles. Also replaced a few broken door handles, spark plugs, plug wires, & belts, but those are cheap. Most reliable and cheapest car to operate I've EVER owned in 30 years.

Extremely cheap to own and operate. Parts are next to nothing to purchase. Even replacement body parts from a small fender bender are cheap to replace. I'm 6', 230, and not fat. The seats to me are extremely comfortable. If you like working on your own car, which I do, the website for service information is fantastic with full graphics, instructions, and specifications.

This car has already been improved on over the years. I'd buy another in a heartbeat! I don't know what other improvements they've done but cruise would be nice. Also, a redesigned trunk opening with a lower lip to slide in large bulky items would be good for those who don't buy a hatchback model.

Great little car
By sunnysammy74

2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I love this little car I just bought it a few months ago as my first car for $3,700 It's been great to me so far, although it feels like I'm not getting the best gas miles I could be getting. My car has around 99,000 miles on it and it's still drives like a dream, it may not be a Lexus but it's still an awesome car, it would be great as someones first car.

Maybe if the car was a bit bigger it would be better. I feel like if I were to get into a wreck that would be the end of me, and my car LOL! Also, if the inside were more roomy. I'm only 5'2 and I feel a little a giant in the car; it doesn't offer much head room up top.

Champina -- surprised to find a new love!
By mikistewart

2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our used 2004 Accent GL Sedan last August for $3,600.00. This amazing compact car quickly became our go-to choice -- even for distance travel! She's already been roundtrip from Nebraska to Arizona. We named her "Champina". Our first vehicle is a 2001 Dodge RAM Pickup with every luxury; Champy was bought as Mom's "local errand car". When gas prices topped $3 a gallon, she became our primary transportation. The Accent's fuel economy, comfort and reliablity have won us over; our 15 MPG RAM is reserved for hauling, intown errands and "boys night out!" She has needed only regular maintenance in >15,000 miles of all-weather mountain travel.

Well designed interior/trunk: Hubby is over 6 feet tall. I am a mere 5'2"; yet, the car is comfortable for both. With back seats lowered for trunk access, tents, sleeping bags, gifts, 2 suitcases each and even more fits! Fuel economy: I get nearly 400 miles per tank of regular gas, although I've never used the final 1.2 gallons to truly empty. We regularly get close to 40 MPG highway mileage. Combined mileage averages 35. Around town, about 30 (which is the conservative highway MPG on the sticker!) General economy: 4 tires and spare replaced for $300. Other vehicles cost $700 minimum. Oil changes are less due to small oil reservoir. 4 cylinder engine means low cost major repairs.

Transmission issue
By Mo

2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

The car has transmission issue, i thought it is mine only, then after researching the web i found it is very common, it is also pulls to the right, i took it to Firestone, they found a factory error that can not be corrected (it was not that bad), the conclusion is: you get what you pay for, the good thing is parts are kinda cheap compared to other cars.

good gas mileage, excellent air condition.

Fixing the transmission issue

Great car w/ good gas mileage!
By MikeB

2004 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I owned this car for a little over 2 years about 30,000 miles. I traded in a WRX for this so it was quite different but I needed a better price and gas mileage. It was comfortable got around 30mpg and never had any issues!

Gas mileage, comfortable.