Used 2003 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

2003 Hyundai Accent

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Very Reliable
By Steve Oros

2003 Hyundai Accent 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I am a sales rep on the road doing 65K a year. I bought this car in the fall of 03, and started this job in the fall of 04. I have 280K on this car of which 260K's are from my when I started my new job. This car has been Amazing! I have not had one breakdown or false start. I do all the factory maintenance at the dealership where I bought it, all great people, great service. I still have the original brake pads on the rear wheels!! I bought the car W/O AC but when I got my job I had it installed, along with deep tint, and cruise control (need for the long drives!) I am going to put 400K on this car and then get another one!!! Well worth the money.

Favorite Features

1.Gas Mileage!!! on average 45mpg highway, I have gotten 48mpg, and the lowest around 40mpg. 2.Hard to believe but the drivers seat is very comfortable. When I fly to the US and rent bigger cars, I can never get comfortable, the Grand Prix is Horrible, the seats are a stupid design!!!

Suggested Improvements

1. No right arm rest (needed for long trips) so I had them install one thru parts, not very sturdy or comfortable. 2. I am looking at the 2009 GS model, but it comes with sunroof which has zero headroom, can the sunroof, who needs it, offer it without! For the money, great car, I will buy another.

Satisfied
By Accent fan

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I got the 5 spd manual 2003 GT model and added the cruise control after the sale for approx. $200. This car has been great, the only problem I had was the muffler corroding, and this was replaced under warranty. With the manual version I don't find any lack of power unless the A/C is on. The car is comfortable and has all of the features that I need in a car. So far I have only driven 48k in the car, but I far prefer it to the Sonata that I also own. Having got the sports version, my only real complaint was the fact that they put 'premium' tires on the car that had very little traction. Driving on snow and even wet streets was difficult until I replaced the tires.

Favorite Features

Comfort, reliability, handling, A/C, fog lights, stereo

Suggested Improvements

Don't put sports tires on such a light car. ABS was not available on this model.

Good Basic Transportation
By Chris

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car was purchased mainly for my wife, and she loves it. It is almost 4 years old now and it has NEVER broken down. All I have done was change the oil & filter every 3,000 miles. Sure, it could have more power, but what do you expect. In a vehicle this size MPG is more important than horsepower, and besides, my wife never seems to complain that it is slow, so I guess it is not that bad.

Favorite Features

Adjustable seat belt height, power windows and locks.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint on plastic body parts. The door handles are fading faster than the rest of the car.

Cheap, Great Cars!
By Ashley

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It's so hard to find a foriegn car for a reasonable price. The Hyundai Accent is a reliable car for a great price. It definatley beats American made cars and are absolutely wonderful. I love mine!!

Favorite Features

The door won't lock with the key in the ignition and if you turn the car off with the lights on, they dim to save your battery.

Suggested Improvements

I wish I had cruise control, but the newer models have them.

New Transmission at 22K
By Eileen

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

At 18K miles, it started to ride sluggishly so we had the transmission looked at. At 22K it needed a new tranmission - fortunately, it was still under warranty although we bought it used...with 12K on it.