Used 2003 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Excellent City and Family Car!
By driver_lori

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 Accent with 4 miles on it for $11,500. Perfect city car - fits into small spots and not very likely to be vandalized. Then I lived in an area with steep hills and never got stuck, even with ice and snow. The car complained about making it up the hills but always did. Definiltey not a lot of power but does the trick. Fast forward 7 years and my husband and I now use the car with our twins rear-facing. We can fit the double stroller in the truck with room to spare and a single stroller in back. There's enough leg room. I have to laugh at people who think they need an SUV....the Accent is perfectly adequate! No major repairs and I'm at almost 140K miles!!

Compact but can store a surprising amount of cargo, low maintenance (averages $1200 a year), good gas mileage, versatile, reliable, great warranty.

Needs vents in back to keep backseat passengers warm/cool, buttons on radio stick, resale value could be better but I plan to drive the car into the ground so that's a mute point for me.

Darla is a champ!
By jpedlhuber

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for the last 5 years and hand loved every day. I nicknamed her "Darla" after taking it out to Colorado for the second time. It did great on all of those mountain roads and even handled well in the snow. I really think that driving it is very comfortable and it was well worth the money. Mine came "loaded" with A/C, a CD player, and power windows, doors, and locks. I'm only looking to sell it now because my wife doesn't want to learn how to drive stick!

-40+ MPG! -Cold Air -Reliable, no big mechanical problems -Cheap to maintain

-The Paint (Ever since I've gotten it the paint has been a big issue. It wasn't covered under warranty because it wasn't "bumper to bumper"....it was on the bumper. Lame. -No passenger side arm rest. I always awkwardly have to share mine with whoever I'm driving with -Dents very easily

I LOVED my little red accent...
By ks2282

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new off the lot as my first car for about 10k...super cheap for a car that lasted me about 7 years. I never once had a problem with it until someone side-swiped it last weekend and totaled it. I was so sad to see it go. I had over 110,000 miles on it,and i only had to replace the brakes once, and change my headlights once. Otherwise it was all sched. maintenance. BEST warranty ever too. A good first car for anyone, or even a commuter. Just maintain your oil changes and services, and this car will last you forever!.

great gas mileage for long trips, easy to drive, RELIABLE

more comfortable seats, better knobs on the dash

"econobox"
By gk fs

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Had the car since 10/03. It has 75k on it now and while its not a fantastic car, it performs ok. Just ok. When it was new, it was very peppy. Now its sluggish and, while it will jump when needed, its not something I try to do often. Handles on a dime to be sure but braking feels mushy even on new brakes. I'm on my 3rd tranny. What started as a ticking became gears getting stuck and grinding. 2 door handles broke. Engine loudly taps when cold but goes away. Tape deck broke. Battery brackets snapped. Rigged a way to hold it. Trunk space is ok if the item is wide but not deep or tall. At 6'1 its a cozy ride. Knee is either on cupholder or autostick. Bumps od switch... Yet to leave me stranded

One muffler connection broke after a chunk of debris on the road whacked it. Now it sounds like its got some go in it at least! Stereo is ok. Repairs can be cheap. Same for tires. Gas mileage is good. Ac is fantastic. Alright in snow.

Transmission probs have been reported before. Horsepower, better leg area, doorhandles! Etc

Great reliable car, yes reliable
By KD

2003 Hyundai Accent 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car as a cheap commuter car and figured we would maybe get 100k from it. Well at 120k now and still going strong. Only issue was lost a crankshaft sensor around 90k and one battery but that was it. Regular fluid changes and the car is happy. Still get around 34 MPG.

Great on gas, easy to maintain.

Cruise control would be nice