2003 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
Excellent City and Family Car!
By driver_lori on 08/06/12 12:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 Accent with 4 miles on it for $11,500. Perfect city car - fits into small spots and not very likely to be vandalized. Then I lived in an area with steep hills and never got stuck, even with ice and snow. The car complained about making it up the hills but always did. Definiltey not a lot of power but does the trick. Fast forward 7 years and my husband and I now use the car with our twins rear-facing. We can fit the double stroller in the truck with room to spare and a single stroller in back. There's enough leg room. I have to laugh at people who think they need an SUV....the Accent is perfectly adequate! No major repairs and I'm at almost 140K miles!!

Darla is a champ!
By jpedlhuber on 03/24/10 09:51 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for the last 5 years and hand loved every day. I nicknamed her "Darla" after taking it out to Colorado for the second time. It did great on all of those mountain roads and even handled well in the snow. I really think that driving it is very comfortable and it was well worth the money. Mine came "loaded" with A/C, a CD player, and power windows, doors, and locks. I'm only looking to sell it now because my wife doesn't want to learn how to drive stick!

I LOVED my little red accent...
By ks2282 on 02/17/10 23:06 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new off the lot as my first car for about 10k...super cheap for a car that lasted me about 7 years. I never once had a problem with it until someone side-swiped it last weekend and totaled it. I was so sad to see it go. I had over 110,000 miles on it,and i only had to replace the brakes once, and change my headlights once. Otherwise it was all sched. maintenance. BEST warranty ever too. A good first car for anyone, or even a commuter. Just maintain your oil changes and services, and this car will last you forever!.

"econobox"
By gk fs on 10/14/09 13:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Had the car since 10/03. It has 75k on it now and while its not a fantastic car, it performs ok. Just ok. When it was new, it was very peppy. Now its sluggish and, while it will jump when needed, its not something I try to do often. Handles on a dime to be sure but braking feels mushy even on new brakes. I'm on my 3rd tranny. What started as a ticking became gears getting stuck and grinding. 2 door handles broke. Engine loudly taps when cold but goes away. Tape deck broke. Battery brackets snapped. Rigged a way to hold it. Trunk space is ok if the item is wide but not deep or tall. At 6'1 its a cozy ride. Knee is either on cupholder or autostick. Bumps od switch... Yet to leave me stranded

Great reliable car, yes reliable
By KD on 02/04/09 10:22 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Accent 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car as a cheap commuter car and figured we would maybe get 100k from it. Well at 120k now and still going strong. Only issue was lost a crankshaft sensor around 90k and one battery but that was it. Regular fluid changes and the car is happy. Still get around 34 MPG.

Very Reliable
By Steve Oros on 10/14/08 17:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Accent 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I am a sales rep on the road doing 65K a year. I bought this car in the fall of 03, and started this job in the fall of 04. I have 280K on this car of which 260K's are from my when I started my new job. This car has been Amazing! I have not had one breakdown or false start. I do all the factory maintenance at the dealership where I bought it, all great people, great service. I still have the original brake pads on the rear wheels!! I bought the car W/O AC but when I got my job I had it installed, along with deep tint, and cruise control (need for the long drives!) I am going to put 400K on this car and then get another one!!! Well worth the money.

Satisfied
By Accent fan on 06/27/07 05:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I got the 5 spd manual 2003 GT model and added the cruise control after the sale for approx. $200. This car has been great, the only problem I had was the muffler corroding, and this was replaced under warranty. With the manual version I don't find any lack of power unless the A/C is on. The car is comfortable and has all of the features that I need in a car. So far I have only driven 48k in the car, but I far prefer it to the Sonata that I also own. Having got the sports version, my only real complaint was the fact that they put 'premium' tires on the car that had very little traction. Driving on snow and even wet streets was difficult until I replaced the tires.

Good Basic Transportation
By Chris on 04/27/07 07:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car was purchased mainly for my wife, and she loves it. It is almost 4 years old now and it has NEVER broken down. All I have done was change the oil & filter every 3,000 miles. Sure, it could have more power, but what do you expect. In a vehicle this size MPG is more important than horsepower, and besides, my wife never seems to complain that it is slow, so I guess it is not that bad.

Cheap, Great Cars!
By Ashley on 10/17/06 21:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

It's so hard to find a foriegn car for a reasonable price. The Hyundai Accent is a reliable car for a great price. It definatley beats American made cars and are absolutely wonderful. I love mine!!

New Transmission at 22K
By Eileen on 07/09/06 11:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

At 18K miles, it started to ride sluggishly so we had the transmission looked at. At 22K it needed a new tranmission - fortunately, it was still under warranty although we bought it used...with 12K on it.