2002 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
NOT A BAD CAR
By ERICD77 on 11/26/09 16:56 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Overall I got my money's worth but at 124,000 miles there's something wrong with my transmission that's around a grand to fix. I think the tranny's a big issue on this vehicle but it's reliable and although I'm not buying another I'm very satisfied with it.

Don't go 100k or get in a crash
By jnorlund on 08/04/09 15:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this as a inexpensive first new car. Overall, I had thought it was ok...until we owned it a while. MPG was about 27/29. Prior to this year we had to repair the door handle, the key broke off in the trunk, brakes twice and engine stabilizers once (regular maint). Then, as soon as we got to 108k, the tranny started to act up. $350 later we found out an overdrive part had broken off inside and demolished it. Cost to repair $2500. Guy said he had to do the same thing to his daughters 01 last year. So, if you think this car will go 100k+ or more than 5-7 years without major problems, think again. I know I will before considering Hyundai.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Jim in Wisconsin on 06/01/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have had my Accent L for over 6 years now & am about to turn over 39K for mileage. Aside of general maintenance @ specified intervals, I have stuck no additional money into this car. The only problems I've ever had mechanically were a leaky valve cover gasket, & going down hills on colder mornings will occasionally set a P0200 code for a misfire, which quickly corrects itself. Interior wise, I've gone through 3 shifter boots, & the fresh air / recirculating air level cable has binded on me twice. It's started in -27 degrees without a hitch & has idled in near 100 degree heat with the gauge never leaving the centerpoint. I have hit 48-50 MPG on long highway trips.

Very good economic little car
By talisyn on 05/24/09 09:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in Jan of 05 with 36,000 miles on it.I put an average of 20,000 miles on this car every year.I have very few problems with this car.It's low on fuel usage averaging 28-30 mpg(I don't know if this reflects "in town" driving as my day begins and ends with a 15 mile commute each day),and up to 38 mpg on a roadtrip with all the right conditions.Problems I've had in the last 4 years:replaced the tires twice, warped rotors, burns oil and the guard underneath the car tore loose after rubbing up on too many curbs- the car has fairly low clearance (Ha, and bad judgement on my part!)Overall,this car has been a value beyond words!Too bad it is overly cramped with my family of 4!

Defintely Worth the Money
By cmc on 03/08/09 11:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Accent new in 09/01 and now have 120,000 miles on it. Still get 38 mi/gal and it is one of the best purchases I've made. Only problems I've had were minor - broken door handle, power window cables broke, and an ignition sensor (covered under warranty). My only current issue is a break/leak in the original exhaust (8 winters in Wisconsin will do that), otherwise I've been very pleased with its quality. Because of our new baby, I've looked into a replacement car. Putting a toddler into a car seat in the back is becoming tedious. I wouldn't recommend the Accent for families of four, but as a 1 or 2 person commuter car there is nothing better.

Good, inexpensive basic transportation
By Kathy on 12/27/08 11:19 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2002 Accent used in 2002 when it had just 5K miles on it. I use this car for getting around town -- typically short distances of 15 miles one way. I have driven it long distances but it is not a fun ride due to road noise, handling, and lack of cruise control. The car had a couple of mechanical problems around 30K miles (transmission and power windows on the driver and passenger sides) but the warranty covered all repair costs, and there have been no problems since. I'd buy this car again if I needed a very expensive, basic vehicle.

It goes and goes and goes...
By Lisa on 12/09/08 12:58 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car brand new in summer 2002, it was my first new car. I was young, didn't shop around a lot and basically got it because it was in my price range. I've been pleasantly surprised with it. Very reliable. Has been in the shop only for minor issues (the power windows, the rear wiper and a problem with the idle), all of which were covered by warranty. Great gas mileage on highway (av. 36)...only okay "mixed" (av. 26). I love my little car, though I'm thinking of trading it for something slightly larger that would be a little more comfortable on road trips. (I will miss the MPG if that happens!) Has been a reliable car that got me through college and is still going into adulthood.

True Hyundai Review
By J on 12/05/08 11:14 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new and drove 90000 miles. Most of the issues occurred in ownership year 3 or 4. Exterior: perfect with the exception of peeling hubcaps and rusty wiper arms, interior the lights in the heater area would go on and off. 2 Warranty issues. Codes Check engine required sensors and through-out bearing replaced the whole transmission under warranty. Great car low cost to maintain, insure, fuel.

I loved my little Hyundai!!!!!!
By Denise on 09/04/08 11:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first ever car! It recently got totaled in an accident (other persons fault). I didn't have on a seat belt and walked away with some minor bruises! This little car is safe reliable and GREAT on gas! I would have rode this car til the wheels fell off if it hadn't been totaled!

still going
By Michael G. on 08/30/08 14:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 2002 - first transmission oil change was around 45,000 mi, I changed the timing belt around 69,000 but the mechanic told me tha124,141,799t was still in good condition and changed the spark plugs and the belts for water and alternator around 90,000 mi; other than that just oil change (only synthetic) and tires. I have 107,000 mi and no problem I get 31 mi/gallon in city driving