Used 2002 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

THIS LITTLE CAR IS AMAZING
By sanzabartrust

2002 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Let me say it seems like i've been a car a year Im 22 and this is my 5th car (the others were $1000 buckets. I'm in college so reliability was key in my decision. Saw this car at a wholesale dealer for $1800 and jumped at it after I test drove it with only 115,000 miles. I've just got scheduled maintenance on the car and it has been very good to me. The only major (haha) repair has been a corroded flex pipe which make my little car sound like a monster truck (luckily it's a $30 part and got it installed/welded for $60) The inside is clean and standard which I was going for. Upgraded all the speakers they burst when I put a new radio in. All and all good car for me as a college student.

Low cost to own, easy to clean interior, hyundai customer service just a solid car all around

The dual cup holders by the radio cant hold bigger then a can pop so large drinks have to go in the one cup holder in the middle of the driver and passanger,road noise is louder then most but i expected that with 13 inch wheels and it being a subcompact

Great Hyundai!
By hyundai2002

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I honestly don't understand all these reviews. I guess their previous owners didn't take care of their little Hyundai because my car runs great and is in great shape. The transmission and engine runs great. I don't understand the comments on the handling. The brakes could be better, but they have no problem. People need to realize that Hyundai was still not a very large company when the 2000-2004 Accents came out. And the Accent was Hyundai's least expensive car. The interior scratches easily and the paint gets dings and scratches easily as well. But this was meant to be a realible INEXPENSIVE car for people that want a decent car and have money to put gas in it too. =]

Gas mileage, handling, inexpensive tires, size, price, reliability, easy to do regular maintenance but any major problems might be diificult.

Interior quality, more screws so that it would be easier to take off interior pieces like doors and speaker covers in the rear. (I broke the speaker cover when I tried to put in Pioneer speakers :O )

Buyer beware
By No Hyundai

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Had car for under a year, replaced O2 sensor, brakes, battery and tires. Next year battery (only 1 kind available) O2 sensor. Next year, belts, water pump Brakes O2 Sensor. Every year I had to replace at least 1 of the O2 sensors, speed sensor and trans sensor of some sort (since year 3) None was covered as it is normal wear and tear (!@#$). Gas pedal stuck after 5 years and now my trans is failing. Will never buy again, bad warranty, bad price and cheap, cheap car (not in price just in quality)

none

Reliability, a good trans, working O2/speed sensors!! some power in the engine and lower price for the quality

*Given* this Car Free but NOT Worth It!
By gliese876d

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I helped my mother pick out this car new in 2002 & she owned it for 5 yrs before generously giving it to me after my divorce left me a single mom without a vehicle. At the time she bought it I thought the warranty was great & the price was right and it seemed to have some get-up-and-go. But since I've owned it, I now see more clearly that it is a piece of junk. At 96K mi, it's now going through oil, the engine light is perpetually on and it won't pass emissions. Even without these obvious problems, in hilly western PA, I can't tell you how many times I've been terrified by the handling of this vehicle due to it's horrible steering and braking! I can't wait til I can afford a new car!

Gas mileage--the *only* good feature.

Improve steering and braking Build it to last

Cheap
By Lorean

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I can honestly say that I have not ever had any engine or transmission problems it runs great! BUT everything is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP that is on it! All 4 of my door handles are broken, it dents very easy, the radio only works when it wants too, just made very cheap. It would be great for a person just starting to drive but I am 25 with a baby and it is NOT a good family car at all!

gas mileage

Better door handles are a must for this car