Used 2002 Hyundai Accent GL Sedan Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Reliable, inexpensive
By Alton

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

By far the most reliable, least expensive car to operate I have ever owned. Bought for $3200 7 yrs ago.

*Given* this Car Free but NOT Worth It!
By gliese876d

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I helped my mother pick out this car new in 2002 & she owned it for 5 yrs before generously giving it to me after my divorce left me a single mom without a vehicle. At the time she bought it I thought the warranty was great & the price was right and it seemed to have some get-up-and-go. But since I've owned it, I now see more clearly that it is a piece of junk. At 96K mi, it's now going through oil, the engine light is perpetually on and it won't pass emissions. Even without these obvious problems, in hilly western PA, I can't tell you how many times I've been terrified by the handling of this vehicle due to it's horrible steering and braking! I can't wait til I can afford a new car!

Gas mileage--the *only* good feature.

Improve steering and braking Build it to last

Cheap
By Lorean

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I can honestly say that I have not ever had any engine or transmission problems it runs great! BUT everything is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP that is on it! All 4 of my door handles are broken, it dents very easy, the radio only works when it wants too, just made very cheap. It would be great for a person just starting to drive but I am 25 with a baby and it is NOT a good family car at all!

gas mileage

Better door handles are a must for this car

Don't go 100k or get in a crash
By jnorlund

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this as a inexpensive first new car. Overall, I had thought it was ok...until we owned it a while. MPG was about 27/29. Prior to this year we had to repair the door handle, the key broke off in the trunk, brakes twice and engine stabilizers once (regular maint). Then, as soon as we got to 108k, the tranny started to act up. $350 later we found out an overdrive part had broken off inside and demolished it. Cost to repair $2500. Guy said he had to do the same thing to his daughters 01 last year. So, if you think this car will go 100k+ or more than 5-7 years without major problems, think again. I know I will before considering Hyundai.

Gas mileage.

Use non mitshubishi trannys (most expensive kind). Increase safety features standard.

Very good economic little car
By talisyn

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in Jan of 05 with 36,000 miles on it.I put an average of 20,000 miles on this car every year.I have very few problems with this car.It's low on fuel usage averaging 28-30 mpg(I don't know if this reflects "in town" driving as my day begins and ends with a 15 mile commute each day),and up to 38 mpg on a roadtrip with all the right conditions.Problems I've had in the last 4 years:replaced the tires twice, warped rotors, burns oil and the guard underneath the car tore loose after rubbing up on too many curbs- the car has fairly low clearance (Ha, and bad judgement on my part!)Overall,this car has been a value beyond words!Too bad it is overly cramped with my family of 4!

Good with gas! Good acceleration for a 4 cyl. (even with my auto trans)! Good maneuverability.

Better rotors?