2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
*Given* this Car Free but NOT Worth It!
By gliese876d on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I helped my mother pick out this car new in 2002 & she owned it for 5 yrs before generously giving it to me after my divorce left me a single mom without a vehicle. At the time she bought it I thought the warranty was great & the price was right and it seemed to have some get-up-and-go. But since I've owned it, I now see more clearly that it is a piece of junk. At 96K mi, it's now going through oil, the engine light is perpetually on and it won't pass emissions. Even without these obvious problems, in hilly western PA, I can't tell you how many times I've been terrified by the handling of this vehicle due to it's horrible steering and braking! I can't wait til I can afford a new car!

Cheap
By Lorean on 05/28/10 07:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I can honestly say that I have not ever had any engine or transmission problems it runs great! BUT everything is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP that is on it! All 4 of my door handles are broken, it dents very easy, the radio only works when it wants too, just made very cheap. It would be great for a person just starting to drive but I am 25 with a baby and it is NOT a good family car at all!

Don't go 100k or get in a crash
By jnorlund on 08/04/09 15:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this as a inexpensive first new car. Overall, I had thought it was ok...until we owned it a while. MPG was about 27/29. Prior to this year we had to repair the door handle, the key broke off in the trunk, brakes twice and engine stabilizers once (regular maint). Then, as soon as we got to 108k, the tranny started to act up. $350 later we found out an overdrive part had broken off inside and demolished it. Cost to repair $2500. Guy said he had to do the same thing to his daughters 01 last year. So, if you think this car will go 100k+ or more than 5-7 years without major problems, think again. I know I will before considering Hyundai.

Very good economic little car
By talisyn on 05/24/09 09:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in Jan of 05 with 36,000 miles on it.I put an average of 20,000 miles on this car every year.I have very few problems with this car.It's low on fuel usage averaging 28-30 mpg(I don't know if this reflects "in town" driving as my day begins and ends with a 15 mile commute each day),and up to 38 mpg on a roadtrip with all the right conditions.Problems I've had in the last 4 years:replaced the tires twice, warped rotors, burns oil and the guard underneath the car tore loose after rubbing up on too many curbs- the car has fairly low clearance (Ha, and bad judgement on my part!)Overall,this car has been a value beyond words!Too bad it is overly cramped with my family of 4!

Good, inexpensive basic transportation
By Kathy on 12/27/08 11:19 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2002 Accent used in 2002 when it had just 5K miles on it. I use this car for getting around town -- typically short distances of 15 miles one way. I have driven it long distances but it is not a fun ride due to road noise, handling, and lack of cruise control. The car had a couple of mechanical problems around 30K miles (transmission and power windows on the driver and passenger sides) but the warranty covered all repair costs, and there have been no problems since. I'd buy this car again if I needed a very expensive, basic vehicle.

I loved my little Hyundai!!!!!!
By Denise on 09/04/08 11:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first ever car! It recently got totaled in an accident (other persons fault). I didn't have on a seat belt and walked away with some minor bruises! This little car is safe reliable and GREAT on gas! I would have rode this car til the wheels fell off if it hadn't been totaled!

still going
By Michael G. on 08/30/08 14:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 2002 - first transmission oil change was around 45,000 mi, I changed the timing belt around 69,000 but the mechanic told me tha124,141,799t was still in good condition and changed the spark plugs and the belts for water and alternator around 90,000 mi; other than that just oil change (only synthetic) and tires. I have 107,000 mi and no problem I get 31 mi/gallon in city driving

Best car I've ever had in my life
By Stephen on 07/19/08 11:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my accent brand new and never have had any problems with it. I have always kept up maintenance in the car myself. It has never been in a mechanic shop or dealer shop for anything. I now(07/08) have 200,000 miles on it and it is still going strong even after driving it very hard its whole life. It seems like nothing will ever make it quit running. I have a very heavy foot and it doesn't ever phase it. There are also no oil leaks or burn off and has the original plug wires. I have also hit a wild hog and run over a curb at 55mph and it only bent the wheels and didn't cause any other damage. I still to this day get around 40 mpg on the highway and 35 in town.

Good daily commuter
By Chrisndogs on 01/23/08 09:34 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle when gas prices were going up and I didn't feel like feeding the SUV anymore. It was purchased from a dealership and had previously been a rental car. I've now owned it for 2 years and have put about 20K mi on it (roughly 60% city, 40% highway). I have done all the suggested scheduled maintenance, and I can honestly say that the car has been reliable. While it's not thrilling to drive, it makes a great city commuter car for someone on a tight budget.

Great Car for the Price
By Christopher E on 01/13/08 12:58 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for about 4 months before it was totaled in an accident (thankfully not my fault). I drove it mainly on my commute to college, and had no problems while I drove it. I got about 30 mpg average. I'm about 6'2", so leg room is a big deal for me, but I never felt cramped in my Accent. In my accident I a man ran a red light in front of me, tearing up the whole front of the car. But I was completely unharmed even though the car was totaled. Overall I really liked my Accent and would recommend it to anyone, if not for the gas mileage, then for the safety.