2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
At least they are cheap.
By irclark on 01/10/14 12:25 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: Cheap. Lots of interior space and head room. Good on gas. Actually did well in a freeway accident with a dump-truck. Cons: Very small and poor breaks (never balanced properly between front a rear causing rear breaks to lock up way before the fronts) Really scary in slippery conditions. poor handling (both body roll, and the suspension wore out quickly). Transmission (manual) would clunk or grind into gears between 1st and 2nd gear. Water leak into trunk which was found under warranty but they failed to fix it twice. Then the warranty expired and they said that I would have to pay for it. They did end up fixing it for free, but not without a fight.

Not a very good car for the money.
By pnpain on 06/09/13 09:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good little car for most people though mine was poorly made. Had to have brakes put on constantly and I am NOT hard on brakes. One year I had 4 sets put on because the calipers kept breaking and the break would stick to the wheel and burn it up, then the rotor would be unusable. Safety Hazard!! No air conditioning, no power anything. If I could go back in time I would have purchased the Kia.

As Good as an Aerostar
By mikehs2 on 10/25/11 08:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I've ever owned. 133,000 miles, 40 mpg, yes 40! on the highway. I checked it 3 times! No oil burn. Only service issue was the rear brake cylinders which Hyundai happily replaced. Have to service the car every 7,500 miles and due the proper maintenance. Make sure you change the timing belt at 90,000, and if you have an auto transmission, it has to be serviced every 30,000. Don't be shy to buy one used, if it's the 5 speed manual. I'm sure ours will go at least 250,000.

Aging through the ages...
By squirts on 04/05/11 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

All, I bought my '02 Accent new. Since then, I've racked up 115,000 on the odo with 80% highway driving of 75 miles/day Monday-Friday. To date, I really can't complain. Beyond normal wear items, I've replaced both back wheel cylinders ($15 ea) and the (dreaded) flex pipe and pipe extension ($45) due to rust-through. The car still gets great gas mileage and doesn't burn oil. I'll need to work on the front end (I think some bushings are worn as there is a "clunk" over pot holes), but, knock wood, it's holding up well.

THIS LITTLE CAR IS AMAZING
By sanzabartrust on 02/28/11 08:17 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Let me say it seems like i've been a car a year Im 22 and this is my 5th car (the others were $1000 buckets. I'm in college so reliability was key in my decision. Saw this car at a wholesale dealer for $1800 and jumped at it after I test drove it with only 115,000 miles. I've just got scheduled maintenance on the car and it has been very good to me. The only major (haha) repair has been a corroded flex pipe which make my little car sound like a monster truck (luckily it's a $30 part and got it installed/welded for $60) The inside is clean and standard which I was going for. Upgraded all the speakers they burst when I put a new radio in. All and all good car for me as a college student.

NOT A BAD CAR
By ERICD77 on 11/26/09 16:56 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Overall I got my money's worth but at 124,000 miles there's something wrong with my transmission that's around a grand to fix. I think the tranny's a big issue on this vehicle but it's reliable and although I'm not buying another I'm very satisfied with it.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Jim in Wisconsin on 06/01/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have had my Accent L for over 6 years now & am about to turn over 39K for mileage. Aside of general maintenance @ specified intervals, I have stuck no additional money into this car. The only problems I've ever had mechanically were a leaky valve cover gasket, & going down hills on colder mornings will occasionally set a P0200 code for a misfire, which quickly corrects itself. Interior wise, I've gone through 3 shifter boots, & the fresh air / recirculating air level cable has binded on me twice. It's started in -27 degrees without a hitch & has idled in near 100 degree heat with the gauge never leaving the centerpoint. I have hit 48-50 MPG on long highway trips.

Defintely Worth the Money
By cmc on 03/08/09 11:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Accent new in 09/01 and now have 120,000 miles on it. Still get 38 mi/gal and it is one of the best purchases I've made. Only problems I've had were minor - broken door handle, power window cables broke, and an ignition sensor (covered under warranty). My only current issue is a break/leak in the original exhaust (8 winters in Wisconsin will do that), otherwise I've been very pleased with its quality. Because of our new baby, I've looked into a replacement car. Putting a toddler into a car seat in the back is becoming tedious. I wouldn't recommend the Accent for families of four, but as a 1 or 2 person commuter car there is nothing better.

It goes and goes and goes...
By Lisa on 12/09/08 12:58 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car brand new in summer 2002, it was my first new car. I was young, didn't shop around a lot and basically got it because it was in my price range. I've been pleasantly surprised with it. Very reliable. Has been in the shop only for minor issues (the power windows, the rear wiper and a problem with the idle), all of which were covered by warranty. Great gas mileage on highway (av. 36)...only okay "mixed" (av. 26). I love my little car, though I'm thinking of trading it for something slightly larger that would be a little more comfortable on road trips. (I will miss the MPG if that happens!) Has been a reliable car that got me through college and is still going into adulthood.

True Hyundai Review
By J on 12/05/08 11:14 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new and drove 90000 miles. Most of the issues occurred in ownership year 3 or 4. Exterior: perfect with the exception of peeling hubcaps and rusty wiper arms, interior the lights in the heater area would go on and off. 2 Warranty issues. Codes Check engine required sensors and through-out bearing replaced the whole transmission under warranty. Great car low cost to maintain, insure, fuel.