Used 2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

At least they are cheap.
By irclark

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: Cheap. Lots of interior space and head room. Good on gas. Actually did well in a freeway accident with a dump-truck. Cons: Very small and poor breaks (never balanced properly between front a rear causing rear breaks to lock up way before the fronts) Really scary in slippery conditions. poor handling (both body roll, and the suspension wore out quickly). Transmission (manual) would clunk or grind into gears between 1st and 2nd gear. Water leak into trunk which was found under warranty but they failed to fix it twice. Then the warranty expired and they said that I would have to pay for it. They did end up fixing it for free, but not without a fight.

Interior had lots of space for a small car.

Larger and better breaks, better suspension, better transmission.

Not a very good car for the money.
By pnpain

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good little car for most people though mine was poorly made. Had to have brakes put on constantly and I am NOT hard on brakes. One year I had 4 sets put on because the calipers kept breaking and the break would stick to the wheel and burn it up, then the rotor would be unusable. Safety Hazard!! No air conditioning, no power anything. If I could go back in time I would have purchased the Kia.

5 speed manual, though now I prefer automatic for ease of use and due to my peripheral neuropathy pain (can't handle the pain from constant use of legs (like with the clutch).

Include AC as standard/base model. Find and fix the issues with the poor quality control with whatever caused the brakes to malfunction repeatedly. Provide electric windows as standard.

As Good as an Aerostar
By mikehs2

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I've ever owned. 133,000 miles, 40 mpg, yes 40! on the highway. I checked it 3 times! No oil burn. Only service issue was the rear brake cylinders which Hyundai happily replaced. Have to service the car every 7,500 miles and due the proper maintenance. Make sure you change the timing belt at 90,000, and if you have an auto transmission, it has to be serviced every 30,000. Don't be shy to buy one used, if it's the 5 speed manual. I'm sure ours will go at least 250,000.

Just a well built, economical car interior is still perfect with no seat covers!

Beef up the Auto transmissions.

Aging through the ages...
By squirts

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

All, I bought my '02 Accent new. Since then, I've racked up 115,000 on the odo with 80% highway driving of 75 miles/day Monday-Friday. To date, I really can't complain. Beyond normal wear items, I've replaced both back wheel cylinders ($15 ea) and the (dreaded) flex pipe and pipe extension ($45) due to rust-through. The car still gets great gas mileage and doesn't burn oil. I'll need to work on the front end (I think some bushings are worn as there is a "clunk" over pot holes), but, knock wood, it's holding up well.

Great gas mileage; Cold air and hot heat; Ease of maintenance. I do all of my own maintenance, including engine repair, so parts availability and being able to do the job myself is a must. I bought a "simple" car (no power windows, auto trans, etc.) for a reason and to date it has met my expectations.

You get what you pay for. Considering I paid less than 10K for a new car with air & stereo and have gotten 115K miles out of it I am happy.

THIS LITTLE CAR IS AMAZING
By sanzabartrust

2002 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Let me say it seems like i've been a car a year Im 22 and this is my 5th car (the others were $1000 buckets. I'm in college so reliability was key in my decision. Saw this car at a wholesale dealer for $1800 and jumped at it after I test drove it with only 115,000 miles. I've just got scheduled maintenance on the car and it has been very good to me. The only major (haha) repair has been a corroded flex pipe which make my little car sound like a monster truck (luckily it's a $30 part and got it installed/welded for $60) The inside is clean and standard which I was going for. Upgraded all the speakers they burst when I put a new radio in. All and all good car for me as a college student.

Low cost to own, easy to clean interior, hyundai customer service just a solid car all around

The dual cup holders by the radio cant hold bigger then a can pop so large drinks have to go in the one cup holder in the middle of the driver and passanger,road noise is louder then most but i expected that with 13 inch wheels and it being a subcompact