2001 Hyundai Accent Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
Fun small car, but loud!
By reddotblackdot on 05/15/10 14:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used in 2005, and therefore all the 'warranties' on it were void. it had 30,000 miles. It now has 92,000 and the transmission blew out. It is a $2,000 repair as the whole transmission needs to be replaced. That is almost the worth of the whole car so I am just going to buy another car. It is not a bad car, it is small and that is what i like. It is also quite zippy, i think, however it costs me $22 to fill up and i have to fill it up about every week and a half. I have a 20 min. ride to work from where i live. So you do the math. It is a good used car but i wouldn't pay too much for it.

Proud Hyundai owner
By erikgonzalez90 on 12/19/09 12:54 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a few older Hyundai's and they were crap before 99' I got my 01 accent and I love it, I get my usual oil change I had bought it from the original owner at 96,000 I have put 10,000 miles since aug of 09 it has good power with the a/c off, fuel up with less than 25, it takes the abuse I throw at it, recommend Hyundai for life, at 107,000 the serpentine belt squeaks

Great Car till 84,000 Mile Mark!!!!
By xphyscokittenx on 07/21/09 08:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car gave me little problems at first bought it at 30,000 miles then at 80,000 the speed sensor went and then at 84,000 the whole transmission went could not reverse only go forward cost me 23000 to fix !! Cars should not die this early and in addition the body of the car is so weak that the littlest bump will destroy the body of your car, not safe in more serious accidents im sure.. things begin to fall apart quickly on this little car .. great new .. not great used. Plus Hyundai service department was rude and offered no sympathy that my car died so early even though they promise it will last till 140,000

Energizer Bunny
By parmelade on 07/20/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

...keeps going and going.... I love my little Hyundai, bought it new in 2001. It has saved me tons in gas over the years and has never once broken down. At 135,000 miles and 8 years old, I am now reluctantly selling it to my son. I will miss its peppy style and easy parking. The fold-down hatchback trunk holds so much, I will have to borrow it from my son the next time I rent 2 banquet tables and 12 chairs, which fit in it just fine. I am glad my Hyundai is staying in the family.

It's a great little car. :)
By Halle on 04/29/09 01:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've only been driving the car myself for two years, but it's been our daily driver [and through hell and back it's been] for 8 years as of this september. The only major thing we've ever had to replace is the transmission which went one day in the winter a couple years back. Other than that, the car has had such minimal maintenance done to it since we're unable to afford to pay a mechanic when we should be buying food. Times are tough but we're still only paying about 11-13$ to fill it up from being 3/4ths empty. I have a lot of dream-cars, but I wouldn't trade this one for any of them. Not only do I really like it enough not to give it up easily, I always beat my friend's V6 up big hills.

The Best Car Ever
By Valerie on 12/02/08 08:20 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I came from a Mercedes to a Hyundai. My car had 6 miles when I purchased it. It now has 228,000+ and I have EVERY original engine part. Only changed the timing belt and brakes and did my oil change every 3000 miles. My car has NEVER broken down on me or ran out of gas. She has been 100% reliable to me! My tranny just went and YES....I am putting a new one in. I know the car and trust it. It's worth it to me. So if anyone is thinking about getting one....just make sure you change your oil ON time EVERY time its suppose to get changed. I love my Hyundai Accent and when I decide to get another it will be the Hyundai Azera.

great car for the money
By dashingwave on 07/28/08 18:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost 7 years and its been very reliable. The only repairs : the power steering pump had to be replaced and the exhaust pipe was replaced. I think the power steering pump went because I turned the wheel a lot after the car was turned off ( turned to put the crook lock on ) . Other then these repairs and normal maintenance, I've had no trouble with this car. Starts up everyday and runs great. And its still under warranty 7 years after I bought the car in 2001 . You can't beat Hyundai's warranty ! If you buy an old car , check to make sure the timing belt is good. If the timing belt breaks it'll ruin your engine and cost you at least $1500 to repair.

Why?
By Mike on 05/18/08 20:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

These cars aren't meant for mountain driving, but more for city. Granted it is supposed to hold 5 adults, these adults must be pretty small. It can fit four adults decently and I would not recommend it long agonizing drives like when I would have to drive from Arizona to California. (Those were long trips!!) We bought the thing with 100K miles on it, but after putting 5K on it the tranny died and it was stuck that way. (No money for repairs.) We lived in a valley so... mountainous driving this car doesn't like! But anyways, if you live in L.A. or New York and put few miles on it daily and baby the thing, it is a decent automobile.

good car
By Sheri on 05/11/08 07:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car, good gas mileage, did regular oil changes but did not have to do much else maintence wise. Very reliable, only reason to trade it in was my kids turned into teenagers with long legs needed bigger car with more room, but now that I am a mom and my kids are moved out of the home gone off to college I am now in 2008 going back to the accent 4 door the 2008 model. Good safe car.

its a good car
By elisha on 04/10/08 23:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The accent is a good car. I got it at 102,000. Now I have 108,000ms on it. So far its ok. Not the best car. Hondas are much better. I've only had it a short time and I think the trans is going the people that had it before me really did a number on it. Drive it right its fine and the gas mileage is great it takes like $13 to put a half a tank in that bad boy.