2001 Hyundai Accent Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
utilitarian with character
By ben223 on 06/29/12 12:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

This is the second car I've owned and the first I've come to love. Bought it with 135,000 miles and still starts and runs great at 147,000 miles. Have only had to replace manual window regulator, and do routine maintenance. I love to drive this car! It gets great gas mileage, is very reliable, and with rear seats folded is capable of holding LOTS of stuff. I frequently go on camping and road trips and i'm easily able to fit all my gear in the back hatch (and often times a canoe on top too). I am 6'6" tall and 275lbs and I easily fit in the interior, and am also able to climb in and out of the rear seat when front is folded, a difficult task in my other friends coupes.

Only had to change oil every 3,000 miles
By ecd on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Only had to change oil every 3,000 miles and just changed plugs water pump and all belts at 108,000 miles, the most reliable car I have had

Ol' reliable
By florencejeanne on 08/14/10 13:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a generally great little car. It is not very peppy when you first take off, but it is great once it gets going. I get 33mpg in town and 36 mpg on the highway. Mileage with ethanol is lower. It is unbelievable how much this can carry with the rear seat folded down. This car was in an accident about 5 years ago. I t-boned a Ford LTD that ran the light. I hit their center support column and their car was a loss, not mine. The crumple zone did its job and nothing farther back than the battery was touched. I had no major injuries. The car went for years with only oil changes. In ten years, besides belts and hoses, I have only replaced the computer and the water pump.

Catalytic Converter - Horrible
By Tony Burns on 03/16/10 20:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall my car was a fun and reliable car with very few issues. Last year I could not pass the emission test and the problems began. The check engine light would not go off and the codes said that the engine was under load even in low idle. The there was also a code for a new converter. On most vehicles the converter is under the car and may cost a couple hundred dollars. The converter on this vehicle is attached to the exhaust manifold and cost over a thousand dollars. I would have loved to keep the car but I was so upset with the outrageous price and location of the converter that I had to let it go. Good car, bad converter location!

Hatchback Heaven
By maddelin711 on 06/04/09 06:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 54,000 miles and had no problems with it until it hit about 82,000 miles and the reverse drum went out causing the transmission to need replacing. I figured it was worth it for $1300 because I really had no other problems with the car and thought a new tran would last. Now that I've had the new tran it's driving great. I love the car it handles well and as long as you keep up with oil changes it will do fine. It does have a very slow acceleration off the line, but what do you expect right? it handles well and I'm very surprised that it still performs in the winter. I have heard from passengers that sitting in the passenger seat the car seems to be flying, but it's not!

Not bad
By KoryuKitsune on 10/07/08 15:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's not really that bad of a car. It ran great until the Transmission blew (THat or the head gasket we're not sure what on yet). Only got in one wreck in it and that person's license plate numbers are indented in the car and that's it. Its a Sturdy car. I really wanna fix it up.

Great on Gas
By Laura on 05/20/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't know about the belts needing to be replaced after 60,000 miles and I drove it to 85,000 before finding out the hard way. I had to put a new head gasket on, because it bent a couple of pistons. But what could've been a $200 job, turned into $2,000 (my fault). But other than that, I have put over 100,000 miles on it (while only changing the oil every 3,000) and NOTHING has gone wrong with the engine or trans.! I especially love that it does great on gas.

Great little car
By PBishop on 10/23/07 13:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great, fun, dependable little car. It has been reliable, and saved me hundred$ in gas over the years. It is also easy to park and great in traffic. Plus with the hatchback I have transported 8 ft 6x6 lumber, rototillers and a water softener. The interior is so roomy that my kids call it the "clown car". I would but another in a heartbeat.

great little car
By sam on 02/28/07 11:29 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of extra features I did nor expect. Get used to the road noise. Great warranty and they live up to it.

Piece of junk
By jeremy on 01/05/07 23:42 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a year and a half and have at best put 5000 miles on it. I have had to replace 02, mass-air intake, and tps sensors, a lifter, and now the timing belt went out with possible valve damage or some bent rods (still yet to be determined). Iv'e decided to just get rid of this car and not bother fixing it anymore. It seems that the check engine light was always on. Stay away from this car, it gave me nothing but problems.