2001 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
Catalytic Converter - Horrible
By Tony Burns on 03/16/10 20:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall my car was a fun and reliable car with very few issues. Last year I could not pass the emission test and the problems began. The check engine light would not go off and the codes said that the engine was under load even in low idle. The there was also a code for a new converter. On most vehicles the converter is under the car and may cost a couple hundred dollars. The converter on this vehicle is attached to the exhaust manifold and cost over a thousand dollars. I would have loved to keep the car but I was so upset with the outrageous price and location of the converter that I had to let it go. Good car, bad converter location!

Not bad
By KoryuKitsune on 10/07/08 15:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's not really that bad of a car. It ran great until the Transmission blew (THat or the head gasket we're not sure what on yet). Only got in one wreck in it and that person's license plate numbers are indented in the car and that's it. Its a Sturdy car. I really wanna fix it up.

great little car
By sam on 02/28/07 11:29 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of extra features I did nor expect. Get used to the road noise. Great warranty and they live up to it.

Piece of junk
By jeremy on 01/05/07 23:42 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a year and a half and have at best put 5000 miles on it. I have had to replace 02, mass-air intake, and tps sensors, a lifter, and now the timing belt went out with possible valve damage or some bent rods (still yet to be determined). Iv'e decided to just get rid of this car and not bother fixing it anymore. It seems that the check engine light was always on. Stay away from this car, it gave me nothing but problems.

Cute, but Costly
By Josie on 08/08/06 06:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I really liked this car, but ever since i got it i had to do repairs! first things that was replaces was the trans! after 104000 the trans went. then now the converter is falling off. which sounds like somethings draggin if i go over 20 mph. i like this car cuz its cute and easy to drive but wayyyyy to costly

Suprised!
By MRC on 03/11/06 16:40 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost 5 years ago. I don't really have any major complaints about the car. I have been very surprised & impressed with the performance. It's quite peppy when needed. The gas mileage is fabulous, I drive 50 miles a day to and from work in rush hour traffic and still average 32-35mpg. I recently had a kid so it is way too small for me now. And it deppreciates so much, I've been upside- down since the get-go.But if you're looking for a small commuter car that you are going to keep for a long time this is the way to go. I've never had any mechanical problems.I wouldn't recommend it if you are a larger person (I'm 5'2 and my husband is 6'1 and we constantly bump each other.

Poor quality, poor service
By Erik on 11/13/05 20:06 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this vehicle for two years. I've needed to replace two head gaskets, two oxygen sensors and the exhaust pipe. The engine burns oil, but the dealer says this is normal for a Hyundai, even with less than 40K. The brakes grind and squeal and the clutch is going, but the dealer says that there is no problem. They have also hung up on me when I complained and refused to pay for costs supposedly covered under their warranty.

2001 Accent GL Hatchback
By Mike on 08/25/05 08:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used for a song. On the interstate coming home, it got 42.5 miles to the gallon. Around town with the AC on, it averages about 33-34. The original tires were replaced due to one developing a bulge. Overall, very efficient, and cheap if you buy them used. I would recommend it to someone on a budget that needs good gas mileage. Lacks some power with the AC on, but is peppy enough with it off. The original sound system could use some improvement, but at this price, I'm satisfied.

Couldn't Get Better Than This!
By Beth on 06/29/05 11:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with the intention of only having it for a few years, until I could afford something better. Well, five years later, this car has only had one minor problem: the recirculation/fresh air knob popped off. THAT'S IT! Of course, I take care of it... get regular oil changes, get tune-ups, etc. Overall, I am VERY satisfied with my purchase. Especially since I only paid $8,000 for it brand new. Perfect car for young people who cannot afford much, but want a reliable car.

What a Great Little Car!!
By Okie on 03/26/05 21:20 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've put over 110,000 miles on this Accent and it has been the best car I've ever owned. Would like to have about 10hp more, but for $9500, it's really been fantastic. Gets 40mpg on the highway. Reliability is great; had a lifter making a little noise at 98,000 miles and Hyundai honored their warranty with no problem.