2001 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
utilitarian with character
By ben223 on 06/29/12 12:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

This is the second car I've owned and the first I've come to love. Bought it with 135,000 miles and still starts and runs great at 147,000 miles. Have only had to replace manual window regulator, and do routine maintenance. I love to drive this car! It gets great gas mileage, is very reliable, and with rear seats folded is capable of holding LOTS of stuff. I frequently go on camping and road trips and i'm easily able to fit all my gear in the back hatch (and often times a canoe on top too). I am 6'6" tall and 275lbs and I easily fit in the interior, and am also able to climb in and out of the rear seat when front is folded, a difficult task in my other friends coupes.

Only had to change oil every 3,000 miles
By ecd on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Only had to change oil every 3,000 miles and just changed plugs water pump and all belts at 108,000 miles, the most reliable car I have had

Ol' reliable
By florencejeanne on 08/14/10 13:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a generally great little car. It is not very peppy when you first take off, but it is great once it gets going. I get 33mpg in town and 36 mpg on the highway. Mileage with ethanol is lower. It is unbelievable how much this can carry with the rear seat folded down. This car was in an accident about 5 years ago. I t-boned a Ford LTD that ran the light. I hit their center support column and their car was a loss, not mine. The crumple zone did its job and nothing farther back than the battery was touched. I had no major injuries. The car went for years with only oil changes. In ten years, besides belts and hoses, I have only replaced the computer and the water pump.

Fun small car, but loud!
By reddotblackdot on 05/15/10 14:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used in 2005, and therefore all the 'warranties' on it were void. it had 30,000 miles. It now has 92,000 and the transmission blew out. It is a $2,000 repair as the whole transmission needs to be replaced. That is almost the worth of the whole car so I am just going to buy another car. It is not a bad car, it is small and that is what i like. It is also quite zippy, i think, however it costs me $22 to fill up and i have to fill it up about every week and a half. I have a 20 min. ride to work from where i live. So you do the math. It is a good used car but i wouldn't pay too much for it.

Catalytic Converter - Horrible
By Tony Burns on 03/16/10 20:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall my car was a fun and reliable car with very few issues. Last year I could not pass the emission test and the problems began. The check engine light would not go off and the codes said that the engine was under load even in low idle. The there was also a code for a new converter. On most vehicles the converter is under the car and may cost a couple hundred dollars. The converter on this vehicle is attached to the exhaust manifold and cost over a thousand dollars. I would have loved to keep the car but I was so upset with the outrageous price and location of the converter that I had to let it go. Good car, bad converter location!

Proud Hyundai owner
By erikgonzalez90 on 12/19/09 12:54 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a few older Hyundai's and they were crap before 99' I got my 01 accent and I love it, I get my usual oil change I had bought it from the original owner at 96,000 I have put 10,000 miles since aug of 09 it has good power with the a/c off, fuel up with less than 25, it takes the abuse I throw at it, recommend Hyundai for life, at 107,000 the serpentine belt squeaks

Great Car till 84,000 Mile Mark!!!!
By xphyscokittenx on 07/21/09 08:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car gave me little problems at first bought it at 30,000 miles then at 80,000 the speed sensor went and then at 84,000 the whole transmission went could not reverse only go forward cost me 23000 to fix !! Cars should not die this early and in addition the body of the car is so weak that the littlest bump will destroy the body of your car, not safe in more serious accidents im sure.. things begin to fall apart quickly on this little car .. great new .. not great used. Plus Hyundai service department was rude and offered no sympathy that my car died so early even though they promise it will last till 140,000

Energizer Bunny
By parmelade on 07/20/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

...keeps going and going.... I love my little Hyundai, bought it new in 2001. It has saved me tons in gas over the years and has never once broken down. At 135,000 miles and 8 years old, I am now reluctantly selling it to my son. I will miss its peppy style and easy parking. The fold-down hatchback trunk holds so much, I will have to borrow it from my son the next time I rent 2 banquet tables and 12 chairs, which fit in it just fine. I am glad my Hyundai is staying in the family.

Hatchback Heaven
By maddelin711 on 06/04/09 06:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 54,000 miles and had no problems with it until it hit about 82,000 miles and the reverse drum went out causing the transmission to need replacing. I figured it was worth it for $1300 because I really had no other problems with the car and thought a new tran would last. Now that I've had the new tran it's driving great. I love the car it handles well and as long as you keep up with oil changes it will do fine. It does have a very slow acceleration off the line, but what do you expect right? it handles well and I'm very surprised that it still performs in the winter. I have heard from passengers that sitting in the passenger seat the car seems to be flying, but it's not!

It's a great little car. :)
By Halle on 04/29/09 01:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've only been driving the car myself for two years, but it's been our daily driver [and through hell and back it's been] for 8 years as of this september. The only major thing we've ever had to replace is the transmission which went one day in the winter a couple years back. Other than that, the car has had such minimal maintenance done to it since we're unable to afford to pay a mechanic when we should be buying food. Times are tough but we're still only paying about 11-13$ to fill it up from being 3/4ths empty. I have a lot of dream-cars, but I wouldn't trade this one for any of them. Not only do I really like it enough not to give it up easily, I always beat my friend's V6 up big hills.