Used 2001 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

utilitarian with character
By ben223

2001 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

This is the second car I've owned and the first I've come to love. Bought it with 135,000 miles and still starts and runs great at 147,000 miles. Have only had to replace manual window regulator, and do routine maintenance. I love to drive this car! It gets great gas mileage, is very reliable, and with rear seats folded is capable of holding LOTS of stuff. I frequently go on camping and road trips and i'm easily able to fit all my gear in the back hatch (and often times a canoe on top too). I am 6'6" tall and 275lbs and I easily fit in the interior, and am also able to climb in and out of the rear seat when front is folded, a difficult task in my other friends coupes.

34 mpg, roomy interior, huge cargo space in hatch, ice cold AC in seconds, utterly reliable

Only had to change oil every 3,000 miles
By ecd

2001 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Only had to change oil every 3,000 miles and just changed plugs water pump and all belts at 108,000 miles, the most reliable car I have had

easy to change oil

more space radio

Ol' reliable
By florencejeanne

2001 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a generally great little car. It is not very peppy when you first take off, but it is great once it gets going. I get 33mpg in town and 36 mpg on the highway. Mileage with ethanol is lower. It is unbelievable how much this can carry with the rear seat folded down. This car was in an accident about 5 years ago. I t-boned a Ford LTD that ran the light. I hit their center support column and their car was a loss, not mine. The crumple zone did its job and nothing farther back than the battery was touched. I had no major injuries. The car went for years with only oil changes. In ten years, besides belts and hoses, I have only replaced the computer and the water pump.

Reliability; excellent mileage; good design; safe in accident; economical to run.

It needs better pick-up on the SOHC. My daughter had the DOHC and her car is peppy. Improve the quality of sound with the radio.

Fun small car, but loud!
By reddotblackdot

2001 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used in 2005, and therefore all the 'warranties' on it were void. it had 30,000 miles. It now has 92,000 and the transmission blew out. It is a $2,000 repair as the whole transmission needs to be replaced. That is almost the worth of the whole car so I am just going to buy another car. It is not a bad car, it is small and that is what i like. It is also quite zippy, i think, however it costs me $22 to fill up and i have to fill it up about every week and a half. I have a 20 min. ride to work from where i live. So you do the math. It is a good used car but i wouldn't pay too much for it.

Zippy, roomy, big trunk, small car fits anywhere

TRANSMISSION there is no reason it should go bad after only 92,000 when i got regular maintenance on it and refilled the fluids etc.!

Catalytic Converter - Horrible
By Tony Burns

2001 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall my car was a fun and reliable car with very few issues. Last year I could not pass the emission test and the problems began. The check engine light would not go off and the codes said that the engine was under load even in low idle. The there was also a code for a new converter. On most vehicles the converter is under the car and may cost a couple hundred dollars. The converter on this vehicle is attached to the exhaust manifold and cost over a thousand dollars. I would have loved to keep the car but I was so upset with the outrageous price and location of the converter that I had to let it go. Good car, bad converter location!

• SUV