2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan - Consumer Reviews

GL 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (27 reviews )
America's best warranty? Bull!
By northArrow on 06/28/09 10:28 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I could get over the small and cramped cabin and complete lack of power thanks to the amazing fuel mileage, but my tolerance for this car ended the same day the 5 year bumper-to- bumper warranty did. We always did the scheduled maintenance on it, but minor problems were always cropping up (these were covered by the warranty). However, once the vehicle turned 5 years old, major issues appeared, ranging from loud whining noises to shifting problems and constant brake replacements. After several months of $1200+ repairs, the final straw occurred when the engine caught fire leaving my wife stranded on the highway. (not covered) At 6 years old and approx 80K miles we finally got rid of it

Bought another one!
By Judy on 06/09/09 10:35 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Accent new for a 36 mile each way commute to work outside the city and it never let me down in 5 years. When the transmission started making an odd sound at 80,000 miles, the dealer replaced it in 2 days without a quibble. I drove it in all weather conditions at freeway speeds daily. I enjoyed it so much we just bought a brand new Sonata and my husband inherited the Accent for a work car. It has over 100,000 miles and is still running fine.

Worst car I ever purchased!!!!
By pamr on 06/04/09 18:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought it new, and always had problems, it burns oil (not a leak) i have to check it every week. The hood hinge broke, it doesn't shift right, even the clock and radio are broken. I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone. And the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty is crap! Anything that goes wrong, they say "that's not covered". The parts are expensive and for most of them you have to purchase from the dealer.

Worst car ever!
By KMdriver on 04/29/09 20:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but trouble since day one. My mother bought me the car when i was in highschool and the oil was burning, so the valve cover gasket was replaced. oil continued to burn so we replaced all gaskets... oil then magically disappeared. no spots on the ground and no residue on the engine, and is still doing this 3 years later. at about 100000 both CV axles busted, gas mileage went downhill, the AC fan in the cab broke, the engine now makes an odd whining noise and i can't seem to figure out why. car smells like mildew every time it rains, but i can't find any wetspots. breaks squeak nonstop even if new. I will never ever buy a Hyundai again this car is a living nightmare.

below average car
By block1974 on 05/09/08 18:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

bought the car brand new, and not worth the money. Once you go over 100 k or so, expect a lot of problems. Baseline model, do not expect much from the car. Just a box on wheels.

Owned one for 5 years-Good car
By Stormy21856 on 12/30/06 09:19 AM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 18,000 miles in Jan 2002. Car now has 67,325 mi. Very reliable after the first couple times in the shop the first year I owned it. Needed Mass air flow sensor to stop pinging & some automatic transmision shifter sensor found in TSB to smooth out shifting. Great city car, great gas milage. Car has functioned extremly well no problems. Brakes and tires around 42,000 mi. Very basic low cost transportation. I have been very pleased.

Fantastic Little Car
By Marshall on 10/19/06 20:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

reliable, wonderful mileage (37 HWY, 30 CTY). puchase w/out CD, PWR windows, locks, mirrors, cruise control-minor factors. overall, great buy. good design. spacious trunk. MOON ROOF. decent acceleration. 62,000 miles, $4,200. great car for the money. i don't like the steering wheel (personal preference: i like to steer from the bottom). minimal body damage, easy oil change, good tires. bad sound system, but i bought a new one to put in. good design. i'll never buy another american car. i absolutely love it. interior is a little ugly, but i can deal. i suggest you buy this car, it's cheap, reliable, pretty, fuel efficient (i fill up every 10 days, and i commute 30 miles to work every day).

I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO GET ONE!
By Erika on 02/23/06 09:21 AM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The 2000 Accent GL 4 door/automatic was the first used car I've bought, but it's been the most RELIABLE! Bought it with 45K, now it has 70K on it. I love it so much! It's fun to drive, and more reliable than any of the new vehicles we've ever bought... maybe that's because it's a foreign- made car. Those Koreans really know how to make cars! Hyundai (along with Toyota, Honda, and Mitsubishi) knows how to make American automakers look like garbage! I think I'll do all of my car-buying with Hyundai now. I've been so pleased with their customer service when the seat belt locked up. It wasn't under factory warranty at that point, but they fixed it under the warranty anyway.

I have one!
By melody on 02/11/06 17:08 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I own one of these cars. although i tinted the windows and put a few small in-expensive little gagets, like seat covers, window stickers, and just kinda tricked it out a little bite, i love driving my car, its great on gas, so i dont have to stop at every station i see. YOOHOO!handles great on wet and snowy roads, thats the front wheel drive doing its thing! although, it gets great gas mileage on the HWY 400+ miles,to A TANK, i can handle the 250-270 miles A TANK In town driving. i love this car. its agreat car for a single person,, or if you dont want to haul all your friends around for free. three friends and yourself, thats plenty in one car, great car overall. I love my car

right
By g on 12/02/05 00:21 AM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

bought w/32k in dec 04, its noisy (weather stripping stinks) the dash sounds like a kitten, rear struts squeak (probably leak), replaced oil dipstick at 37k(rust...hmm?) mass air flow sensor at 43k, remapped the computer (whatever that means) 2nd & 3rd gear grind,driver and passenger side window rattle when down, speedometer or tach make noise, cup holders in a odd place.new front brakes at 48k.warranty is up in jan 06 eek!...so whats next to fix!