Used 2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan

GL 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (27 reviews )

America's best warranty? Bull!
By northArrow

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I could get over the small and cramped cabin and complete lack of power thanks to the amazing fuel mileage, but my tolerance for this car ended the same day the 5 year bumper-to- bumper warranty did. We always did the scheduled maintenance on it, but minor problems were always cropping up (these were covered by the warranty). However, once the vehicle turned 5 years old, major issues appeared, ranging from loud whining noises to shifting problems and constant brake replacements. After several months of $1200+ repairs, the final straw occurred when the engine caught fire leaving my wife stranded on the highway. (not covered) At 6 years old and approx 80K miles we finally got rid of it

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

I don't know where to start, really everything that involves performance and maintenance

Bought another one!
By Judy

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Accent new for a 36 mile each way commute to work outside the city and it never let me down in 5 years. When the transmission started making an odd sound at 80,000 miles, the dealer replaced it in 2 days without a quibble. I drove it in all weather conditions at freeway speeds daily. I enjoyed it so much we just bought a brand new Sonata and my husband inherited the Accent for a work car. It has over 100,000 miles and is still running fine.

Favorite Features

Reliability, fun to drive, gas mileage, heater and AC work nearly instantly

Suggested Improvements

none, it does exactly what I wanted when I bought it

Worst car I ever purchased!!!!
By pamr

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought it new, and always had problems, it burns oil (not a leak) i have to check it every week. The hood hinge broke, it doesn't shift right, even the clock and radio are broken. I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone. And the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty is crap! Anything that goes wrong, they say "that's not covered". The parts are expensive and for most of them you have to purchase from the dealer.

Favorite Features

none

Worst car ever!
By KMdriver

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but trouble since day one. My mother bought me the car when i was in highschool and the oil was burning, so the valve cover gasket was replaced. oil continued to burn so we replaced all gaskets... oil then magically disappeared. no spots on the ground and no residue on the engine, and is still doing this 3 years later. at about 100000 both CV axles busted, gas mileage went downhill, the AC fan in the cab broke, the engine now makes an odd whining noise and i can't seem to figure out why. car smells like mildew every time it rains, but i can't find any wetspots. breaks squeak nonstop even if new. I will never ever buy a Hyundai again this car is a living nightmare.

Favorite Features

before the gas mileage went shoddy, most likely due to CV axles it was around 35 which i loved.

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING! i'm trading it in this weekend for an infiniti or Honda. but i will never again purchase a Hyundai. i will be so glad to dispose of this piece of trash!

below average car
By block1974

2000 Hyundai Accent Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

bought the car brand new, and not worth the money. Once you go over 100 k or so, expect a lot of problems. Baseline model, do not expect much from the car. Just a box on wheels.

Favorite Features

none