Used 2000 Hyundai Accent Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

2000 Hyundai Accent Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Love my GS
By jimh

2000 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

Bought new as a drive-to-work car. Had 2 minor problems long ago-throttle sensor and driver window motor. Fast fixes under warranty. I've treated it well and it has returned the favor. This is not a race car nor an SUV so you can't abuse it. I suspect this is where most oil and other problems come from. Changed oil every 3-5K, the timing belt at 45K service. Clutch pedal throwout bearing started minor chattering at 65K. Warranty covered and dealer did clutch (not needed but did it while warranty covered disassembly and reassembly). Won't set records but accelerates just fine. 33 mpg city, 36- 43mpg highway depending on grade of gas. Age is setting in but it is still strong. Never leaked.

Favorite Features

Warranty! Hauled my lawnmower, weed and hedge trimmers, rake, broom, chainsaw and gas cans all at once! Put my mountain bike, pressure washer and generator in the back too! Loved the vinyl headliner - cloth gets dirty and peels. Super smooth and easy clutch. Friends call it the Mighty Hyundai.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control! Forget the 1.6 L engine, it gets less mpg. Go back to the 1.5! Have to reach way back for the front seat belts. It is what it is - a tiny, inexpensive run-about that if cared for will last. Would buy another today but this one won't quit.

Love it! Its like my baby
By Pam

2000 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

This car is a blast to drive. I bought it used with 116k miles, have had it for 3 years and its still going strong. Only a few maintenance issues here and there but can make long distant drives fine with higher miles! Although my car does not have a rpm gauge on the dash, I learned to drive it by ear. Its my baby and i love it so much!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, and does have a kick driving stick. The gas mileage is amazing so happy in this economy!

Suggested Improvements

Rpm gauge on dash board. Arm rest in center of passenger and driver seats.

Great Little Car
By Nadine

2000 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car five years ago when it was five years old and I haven't had any major problems, just minor repairs. The car is great on gas and the repairs I have done have been cheap. My only complaint is that the car is gutless and has a hard time making it up hills. This was my first car and I would purchase this car again!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, comfy to drive, great on gas, great first car!

Suggested Improvements

Gutless, has a hard time getting up hills, need to purchase winter tires, low to the ground so you get hitched up on snow.

Owned one for 9 years without problems
By vaskar

2000 Hyundai Accent Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback

I bought new.This is my third car.I am inlove with it till now. If you make the services on the time,it will never leave you on the road. Until now,the counter says: 172000 klm and it goes on. I haven't until now any serious problems. I have change a set of clutch disc at 110000 klm and four shock absorbers at 100000 klm. But in my opinion, this is normal for a car that keep mooving. I take care my car, so it takes care of me. I know that I have an ordinary car but now I'm sure that this is a really good car. It's a great value for money.

Favorite Features

The electic mirrors and the big cargo especially when you fold the backsits.

Suggested Improvements

One set of sock absorbers with 4 new, more hard

Why I hate my Hyundai
By Jacqui

2000 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback

Sunroof leaks, heater broke,replaced rear wiper motor twice in 1 year ($400each), the brakes completely and calipers? twice in 2 years. I have also replaced the exhaust, the clutch which when it broke damaged the transmission so badly i had to replace both. Also goes through oil like crazy. Spend about $3500 per year on repairs. Doors swing back and slam on your legs as well. Oh loses power trying to go up even small hills. Also bought for $10000 was worth $2500 within 2 years. I hate this car. it is currently in for repairs again. Horrible car. would be great if it ran. Ever. Not worth it even for free, use the money you save on repairs to go on a vacation

Favorite Features

Sporty,easy to drive and park. Cheap on gas, great storage for a tiny car. Comfy nice looking.

Suggested Improvements

Everything. Crappy tires,motor, transmission, clutch, window wiper motors, UNRELIABLE. Constantly needs repairs.