Used 2000 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Love my GS
By jimh

2000 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

Bought new as a drive-to-work car. Had 2 minor problems long ago-throttle sensor and driver window motor. Fast fixes under warranty. I've treated it well and it has returned the favor. This is not a race car nor an SUV so you can't abuse it. I suspect this is where most oil and other problems come from. Changed oil every 3-5K, the timing belt at 45K service. Clutch pedal throwout bearing started minor chattering at 65K. Warranty covered and dealer did clutch (not needed but did it while warranty covered disassembly and reassembly). Won't set records but accelerates just fine. 33 mpg city, 36- 43mpg highway depending on grade of gas. Age is setting in but it is still strong. Never leaked.

Warranty! Hauled my lawnmower, weed and hedge trimmers, rake, broom, chainsaw and gas cans all at once! Put my mountain bike, pressure washer and generator in the back too! Loved the vinyl headliner - cloth gets dirty and peels. Super smooth and easy clutch. Friends call it the Mighty Hyundai.

Cruise control! Forget the 1.6 L engine, it gets less mpg. Go back to the 1.5! Have to reach way back for the front seat belts. It is what it is - a tiny, inexpensive run-about that if cared for will last. Would buy another today but this one won't quit.

Love it! Its like my baby
By Pam

2000 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

This car is a blast to drive. I bought it used with 116k miles, have had it for 3 years and its still going strong. Only a few maintenance issues here and there but can make long distant drives fine with higher miles! Although my car does not have a rpm gauge on the dash, I learned to drive it by ear. Its my baby and i love it so much!

Fun to drive, and does have a kick driving stick. The gas mileage is amazing so happy in this economy!

Rpm gauge on dash board. Arm rest in center of passenger and driver seats.

Great Little Car
By Nadine

2000 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car five years ago when it was five years old and I haven't had any major problems, just minor repairs. The car is great on gas and the repairs I have done have been cheap. My only complaint is that the car is gutless and has a hard time making it up hills. This was my first car and I would purchase this car again!

Sunroof, comfy to drive, great on gas, great first car!

Gutless, has a hard time getting up hills, need to purchase winter tires, low to the ground so you get hitched up on snow.

America's best warranty? Bull!
By northArrow

2000 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I could get over the small and cramped cabin and complete lack of power thanks to the amazing fuel mileage, but my tolerance for this car ended the same day the 5 year bumper-to- bumper warranty did. We always did the scheduled maintenance on it, but minor problems were always cropping up (these were covered by the warranty). However, once the vehicle turned 5 years old, major issues appeared, ranging from loud whining noises to shifting problems and constant brake replacements. After several months of $1200+ repairs, the final straw occurred when the engine caught fire leaving my wife stranded on the highway. (not covered) At 6 years old and approx 80K miles we finally got rid of it

Gas Mileage

I don't know where to start, really everything that involves performance and maintenance

Bought another one!
By Judy

2000 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Accent new for a 36 mile each way commute to work outside the city and it never let me down in 5 years. When the transmission started making an odd sound at 80,000 miles, the dealer replaced it in 2 days without a quibble. I drove it in all weather conditions at freeway speeds daily. I enjoyed it so much we just bought a brand new Sonata and my husband inherited the Accent for a work car. It has over 100,000 miles and is still running fine.

Reliability, fun to drive, gas mileage, heater and AC work nearly instantly

none, it does exactly what I wanted when I bought it