2000 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
Love my GS
By jimh on 08/24/10 14:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

Bought new as a drive-to-work car. Had 2 minor problems long ago-throttle sensor and driver window motor. Fast fixes under warranty. I've treated it well and it has returned the favor. This is not a race car nor an SUV so you can't abuse it. I suspect this is where most oil and other problems come from. Changed oil every 3-5K, the timing belt at 45K service. Clutch pedal throwout bearing started minor chattering at 65K. Warranty covered and dealer did clutch (not needed but did it while warranty covered disassembly and reassembly). Won't set records but accelerates just fine. 33 mpg city, 36- 43mpg highway depending on grade of gas. Age is setting in but it is still strong. Never leaked.

Love it! Its like my baby
By Pam on 09/16/09 12:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

This car is a blast to drive. I bought it used with 116k miles, have had it for 3 years and its still going strong. Only a few maintenance issues here and there but can make long distant drives fine with higher miles! Although my car does not have a rpm gauge on the dash, I learned to drive it by ear. Its my baby and i love it so much!

Great Little Car
By Nadine on 09/09/09 07:15 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car five years ago when it was five years old and I haven't had any major problems, just minor repairs. The car is great on gas and the repairs I have done have been cheap. My only complaint is that the car is gutless and has a hard time making it up hills. This was my first car and I would purchase this car again!

America's best warranty? Bull!
By northArrow on 06/28/09 10:28 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I could get over the small and cramped cabin and complete lack of power thanks to the amazing fuel mileage, but my tolerance for this car ended the same day the 5 year bumper-to- bumper warranty did. We always did the scheduled maintenance on it, but minor problems were always cropping up (these were covered by the warranty). However, once the vehicle turned 5 years old, major issues appeared, ranging from loud whining noises to shifting problems and constant brake replacements. After several months of $1200+ repairs, the final straw occurred when the engine caught fire leaving my wife stranded on the highway. (not covered) At 6 years old and approx 80K miles we finally got rid of it

Bought another one!
By Judy on 06/09/09 10:35 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Accent new for a 36 mile each way commute to work outside the city and it never let me down in 5 years. When the transmission started making an odd sound at 80,000 miles, the dealer replaced it in 2 days without a quibble. I drove it in all weather conditions at freeway speeds daily. I enjoyed it so much we just bought a brand new Sonata and my husband inherited the Accent for a work car. It has over 100,000 miles and is still running fine.

Worst car I ever purchased!!!!
By pamr on 06/04/09 18:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I bought it new, and always had problems, it burns oil (not a leak) i have to check it every week. The hood hinge broke, it doesn't shift right, even the clock and radio are broken. I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone. And the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty is crap! Anything that goes wrong, they say "that's not covered". The parts are expensive and for most of them you have to purchase from the dealer.

Owned one for 9 years without problems
By vaskar on 05/15/09 09:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback

I bought new.This is my third car.I am inlove with it till now. If you make the services on the time,it will never leave you on the road. Until now,the counter says: 172000 klm and it goes on. I haven't until now any serious problems. I have change a set of clutch disc at 110000 klm and four shock absorbers at 100000 klm. But in my opinion, this is normal for a car that keep mooving. I take care my car, so it takes care of me. I know that I have an ordinary car but now I'm sure that this is a really good car. It's a great value for money.

Worst car ever!
By KMdriver on 04/29/09 20:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but trouble since day one. My mother bought me the car when i was in highschool and the oil was burning, so the valve cover gasket was replaced. oil continued to burn so we replaced all gaskets... oil then magically disappeared. no spots on the ground and no residue on the engine, and is still doing this 3 years later. at about 100000 both CV axles busted, gas mileage went downhill, the AC fan in the cab broke, the engine now makes an odd whining noise and i can't seem to figure out why. car smells like mildew every time it rains, but i can't find any wetspots. breaks squeak nonstop even if new. I will never ever buy a Hyundai again this car is a living nightmare.

Why I hate my Hyundai
By Jacqui on 02/14/09 15:47 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

Sunroof leaks, heater broke,replaced rear wiper motor twice in 1 year ($400each), the brakes completely and calipers? twice in 2 years. I have also replaced the exhaust, the clutch which when it broke damaged the transmission so badly i had to replace both. Also goes through oil like crazy. Spend about $3500 per year on repairs. Doors swing back and slam on your legs as well. Oh loses power trying to go up even small hills. Also bought for $10000 was worth $2500 within 2 years. I hate this car. it is currently in for repairs again. Horrible car. would be great if it ran. Ever. Not worth it even for free, use the money you save on repairs to go on a vacation

VERY GOOD CAR!
By reyesvazquez on 07/21/08 11:42 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback

I got this car brand new and after 6 years the only thing that went bad was the MAF. can't complain its a good car. I do recommend follow the maintenance so you don't had to deal with mayor repairs in a future, for me is working like a charm!