Used 1999 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Hyundai is Reliable!!!
By eddie1700

1999 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

Hello, I just felt impelled to write a review of this car. It is a Hyundai accent 1999, it is a little reliable rider I'íve seen plenty of friends with BMW's and Fords all go down before my ride. I take regular maintenance serious and this car has not let me down. Currently has 150,000 plus miles and I keep track of mileage with highway and city driving I still average 35mpg its amazing; very efficient. It might not be the most attractive ride out there but makes up for it in swag points that' for sure. Plenty of room in the interior for hauling basics, and again its reliability is incredible.

Its Reliability! . For example once, when I just bought the car, Its stick shift so I got all excited and pushed the peddle to the meddle; as I was approaching an off ramp I did not decelerate as I should have took that thing going 80mph, and lost control of my car. Next thing I know I am all over the off-road spinning until my ride flipped on me. (had my seatbelt on thank God) then it flipped back to its side. I was scared for my life and thought well what's next? I figured I ruined the car. Turn the ignition, turns right back on, and drive back on the road like nothing happened!!! That was like 40,000 miles ago people! No internal damage just the outside body I had to repair!

Excellent first car
By exonite

1999 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback

really reliably,economical and fun to drive car.it's been almost 14 years now and it's still handy and without any major problems

Unbreakable people mover
By Chrs68

1999 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I bought a rebuilt Accent from my sister-in-law when she moved to the other coast. The exterior design made me name it Gertrude. Three years later, I have not had to make any repairs, only normal wear and tear. This is just a people mover that does the job with no fuss, and I have no complaints about it, except that it is starting to rust (living in Quebec, any 10-year-old car has that problem). It has enough power for the job and not enough to be stupid with it - great for my kids. It has enough room for four people and adequate trunk space. I plan on keeping it for as long as the rust will let me.

practicality fuel economy simplicity (no fuss)

on hot summer days, I would like AC folding rear seats to increase trunk space

10th Birthday and still going strong!
By mweinmann

1999 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car in 2000 when it was one year old. I was looking for an economical, dependable car. This little gem has exceeded all of my expectations. I fit an unbelievable amount of stuff in the back....it is so much larger than it looks from the outside. My fuel bills are less than anyone that I know.....it drives great in snow....and the best part is that I have had to put so little $$$$ in this car!! At ten years old, it is still going strong. Best value I have ever had.

Roomy cargo area, economical, reliable.

smoother ride.

Hyundai Accident, it runs...
By Senaelen

1999 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car for my brother, all it had wrong with it when we bought it was an exhaust leak. He didn't fix it because he's a butthead. but, this would appear to be a hyundai thing - if you're buying this car, check to make sure youre exhaust manifold and pipe were replaced, they rot out from the front onward! also check to make sure your alternator was replaced, and for the love of god, change the transmission fluid. This car has run into a lot of manufacturer problems starting with the schematics from hyundai listing the wrong wire colors. The overdrive switch on the shifter console has wires inside of it that break over time with the shifter moving. Be careful if you buy this car!

It's loud, it makes people mad, and it's really inexpensive to repair. the AC works, and the heat is really good, those are pluses.

Move the airbag sensor a little bit to the left, my brother tapped someone and deployed the airbags. he barely even hit them. Rewrite wiring schematics, run thicker gauge wiring through the shifter console (auto trans) Make relay removal easier, allow easier airbag installation and removal.