1998 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
Good first car
By Bullah on 10/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Accent brand new in 1998. I crashed in 2000 and brought it back to life. Since then I have changed the transmission, but I later found out after 2 other transmissions gave the same problem that the problem was electronic. All in all it has been a good car with fairly decent gas mileage and a lot of speed when it gets going on the island roads.

100,000+ NO PROBLEMS ! Still Going!!
By Drifus on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Accent GSi 2dr Hatchback

This car has been no trouble. For less than 5 years old and 100000 + its been great. I have replace tires once, spark plugs once. Regular oil changes. This car has never been serviced other then what was mentioned. I have driven this car hard the whole time. (Shifting at 5500 rpms most of the time) If it can endure me like this car has I call it either a fluke or a great car. This car was in Minnesota for 4 years of its life and was wonderful in the snow.

Good fuel economy. Bad parts
By Adriana on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

Nice design and economy with bad quality parts. After 56K miles, the (automatic) transmission went out and the resale price is too bad, so it is not worth to fix it. I am now looking for a more reliable vehicle (not a Hyundai). Maybe later models are better or at least the warranty will cover something like this.

A Good Car for a Great Price
By yaconjo on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

The Hyundai Accent is a great little car for the price. It has a secure, relatively quiet and comfortable ride, is great on gas mileage, and has a solid feel and construction. A great second car for local commuting.

I like it, but my son and girl dont'
By doctor ed on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

I inherited this car from my elderly mom. I've put a good 35,000 miles on it. I like it, but my son calls it the "clown car" because it's small and purple. The engine died at 59,400 miles, only 600 miles before the warranty expired. The sheet metal is pretty thin. I removed some dents with the palm of my hand! My experience is good enough to seriously consider a new Santa Fe soon.

My Review
By Tony Bonelli on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

Stylish yet economical. The engine has guts on the road yet gets almost 40 mpg. I drive long hours and find it extremely comfortable. The sound system is great.

great car
By steelmonkey on 12/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1998 with less than 2000 miles on it. I am a construction worker and I have to travel a lot. It held up for the whole 4 years without a problem. It started every day without fail. It has sure seen a lot of construction sites that were not to favorable. Old faithful made it thru everything!! It gets 33 mpg without fail. I am very sad to have to part with it. It now has 85000 miles on it. The only reason I have to sell it is because I have outgrown the car. Too many tools now. The daughter is driving it now. Then it will go to my son to drive. Thanks Hyundai for a great little car.

A good car at first
By pebbles on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback

A good car at first, but then started to have major problems after 3 1/2 years of having it. The transmission went out. Right now I am looking to get a more reliable vehicle. My advice to whoever buys this car is to buy the new ones that is "1999 and up with the warranty of 100,000 miles for 10 years, whichever comes first. Do not buy this car that does not have that warranty because you will be in the same sort of situation I am currently in.

Decent little car
By redfraggle on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I had this car for 3 and a half years and overall had a good experience with it. It did have some annoying quirks (like the check engine light going on all the time when I first got the car), but overall it was a good value. Between 60 and 70000 miles I did have to bring it into the shop a few times for some pricey repairs, but I got over it. I had the car until recently when I hit a deer, and surprisingly walked away from the accident without a scratch. This was a great little starter car.

Good 2nd car
By indycolts on 03/01/02 14:43 PM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my wife 2 years ago. I've had nothing but good luck with this auto. The car averages over 28 mpg in town, the only complant I have is that I didnt buy one for her earler. Thanks, Ed