1998 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
My first car, and 7 years later I may get another (99 accent)
By thomson85 on 05/08/12 19:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback

My very first car, 1998 Hyundai Accent hatchback. I used an abused this car. Got it used with 80k and drove it up and down California; constantly going form Sacramento to San Diego and back and had 130k at the end. I'd rally, race, 130MPH on the freeway (downhill); I abused it. Only repair ever needed was a clutch replacement. I was a dumb 18 year old and at 19 I got rid of the car (junk yard) due to crashing it two times. My neglect, not the cars, it even drove to the junk yard. The hood wouldn't shut all the way from when I smacked into a curb doing 45mph, and the radiator was leaking due to rust from me never putting coolant in it, but just tap water. I wish I treated it better! :(

Winter Beater
By EricXJR37 on 12/06/09 05:03 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car at 284 000km , it has done its time , i paid 400$ only as a winter car. I have a RWD 320hp car in the summer , but i really like driving the Accent , there's no performance to it really , i have it as a 5spd manual and i really love it , it heats quick , handles corners well , so overall for a 1998 and the kms that's on it it doesn't burn oil and its tough.

NEVER AGAIN
By April on 01/19/08 11:49 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

This car is not worth the gas you put into it. At 70,000 miles, it totally fell apart. It would have cost more to fix it than what it was worth. The axles needed to be replaced. The engine block cracked. The exterior door handles broke off of it. I mean, really, the door handles?! The list goes on, but I don’t have enough characters to tell about each one. When it was working, it could barely go up the freeway ramp. It didn't like going above 50 mph. All around a piece of junk!

A Love Affair
By Cherry on 01/27/07 20:11 PM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1998 Hyundai Accent hatchback in 1999 with 11k miles on it. I wanted something compact,with good gas mileage, and above all, reliablity. If you don't care too much about bells and whistles, this is the car for you. No, you won't be impressed with highway performance or torque. No, you won't be impressed with the plasticy look of the inside. But, you will be impressed with the reliability of the car. I've now owned it for 8 years, it's at 192k miles (I use to do delivery jobs), and it's become the old beat-up teddy bear that I can't seem to part from. I've had only 2 bigger repairs on it. I waiting for it to die but it doesn't seem to want to do it any time soon. Love this car!!

Fun to drive, reliable if taken care of
By GyroVorbis on 01/25/07 09:39 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

The Accent was my first car. It has been through tons of abuses. It recently started acting up, so we took it into the dealer to find that the spark plug wires had been wrong and the transmission fluid was wrong for over a year. The car had held up pretty well for quite sometime even with all this crap wrong with it. It's pretty impressive actually. It's a small car, but it delivers plenty of power for the fuel economy. I have no problems going over 100mph in this rig. It's one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. I just hope to god my transmission issues will get fixed.

riding an accent
By dumzhit on 07/25/06 14:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

This is the second time I have hyundai, and basically they are worth its value, specially this one. still there are some flaws like in every car. I liked it. it's not a powerful car, it's more like for a smooth ride, going to the shopping center, or somewhere where you will not be in a rush. it does has space in there, I fitted a lot of things by just pulling the back seat down. the lights are good looking. my point is that the car is worth the money I spent.

Not Happy (Throw away car)
By Not Happy on 06/11/06 09:19 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

This car only lasted me a year. I bought this car for $2,500 on a payment plan and on my last payment the transmission went out. It went forwards but not backwards. I wasted money. When I go to car menchanics they tell me it's not worth fixing because the parts are too expensive and hard to find. I got oil changes and tuneups regurlary and it still broke down on me. It's hard to try and trade this car in because the dealerships want to only give you a couples of hundred dollars for this piece of garbage.

Great car with good economy
By Petr Bastar on 06/29/05 16:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback

Bought it new, runs great, never a breakdown. Still gets 30+ MPG and has no mechanical problems. The manual trasmission is great, only wish it was synchronized, sometimes hard to get into reverse. Love the rack and pinnion steering as I have a great feel for the road conditions and traction that way. A Hyundai customer for life now.

One of the Best Cars I've Owned
By Chad on 03/15/05 18:38 PM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

Great Car - yes it had minor problems with cheap pieces of plastic breaking on the cup holders, etc. As long as you keep the oil changed and maintain the car it will treat you well. At 120K miles the transmission went out. For a couple years I lived in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains - I think it was too much strain on the car.

best bang for the money
By trig514 on 12/05/04 14:25 PM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback

Love my accent, Great mileage and fun to drive