Used 1998 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

My first car, and 7 years later I may get another (99 accent)
By thomson85

1998 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback

My very first car, 1998 Hyundai Accent hatchback. I used an abused this car. Got it used with 80k and drove it up and down California; constantly going form Sacramento to San Diego and back and had 130k at the end. I'd rally, race, 130MPH on the freeway (downhill); I abused it. Only repair ever needed was a clutch replacement. I was a dumb 18 year old and at 19 I got rid of the car (junk yard) due to crashing it two times. My neglect, not the cars, it even drove to the junk yard. The hood wouldn't shut all the way from when I smacked into a curb doing 45mph, and the radiator was leaking due to rust from me never putting coolant in it, but just tap water. I wish I treated it better! :(

MPG, dependability, cheap parts, handling

A standard tachometer for the 5-speed would have been great.

Winter Beater
By EricXJR37

1998 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car at 284 000km , it has done its time , i paid 400$ only as a winter car. I have a RWD 320hp car in the summer , but i really like driving the Accent , there's no performance to it really , i have it as a 5spd manual and i really love it , it heats quick , handles corners well , so overall for a 1998 and the kms that's on it it doesn't burn oil and its tough.

The front end looks nice, its good on gas, its a tough little car and cheap to maintain.

little more power it should come with the Tiburon 2.0L , and the inside of the doors are really really cheap looking.

NEVER AGAIN
By April

1998 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

This car is not worth the gas you put into it. At 70,000 miles, it totally fell apart. It would have cost more to fix it than what it was worth. The axles needed to be replaced. The engine block cracked. The exterior door handles broke off of it. I mean, really, the door handles?! The list goes on, but I donít have enough characters to tell about each one. When it was working, it could barely go up the freeway ramp. It didn't like going above 50 mph. All around a piece of junk!

Admittedly, it did well on gas mileage.

Everything else.

A Love Affair
By Cherry

1998 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1998 Hyundai Accent hatchback in 1999 with 11k miles on it. I wanted something compact,with good gas mileage, and above all, reliablity. If you don't care too much about bells and whistles, this is the car for you. No, you won't be impressed with highway performance or torque. No, you won't be impressed with the plasticy look of the inside. But, you will be impressed with the reliability of the car. I've now owned it for 8 years, it's at 192k miles (I use to do delivery jobs), and it's become the old beat-up teddy bear that I can't seem to part from. I've had only 2 bigger repairs on it. I waiting for it to die but it doesn't seem to want to do it any time soon. Love this car!!

Gas mileage, reliability, stereo, size, and ability to parallel park anywhere!!

Better interior but I've seen that newer Accents have improved on the old models.

Fun to drive, reliable if taken care of
By GyroVorbis

1998 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

The Accent was my first car. It has been through tons of abuses. It recently started acting up, so we took it into the dealer to find that the spark plug wires had been wrong and the transmission fluid was wrong for over a year. The car had held up pretty well for quite sometime even with all this crap wrong with it. It's pretty impressive actually. It's a small car, but it delivers plenty of power for the fuel economy. I have no problems going over 100mph in this rig. It's one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. I just hope to god my transmission issues will get fixed.

The inside is pretty cozy. It's got a decent amount of features, including overdrive and econ shifting. It's fun on the interestate to have a tiny car that can haul that much. It's cheap to drive also.

Uuhhhm... The Accent's tires are definitely a little too puny, I'd say. The traction isn't really bad, but I think they should've been a little bigger.