1997 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
my second one
By sunshinedays on 11/28/14 13:25 PM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I had one in Korea for one year with 285,000 m on it, and tried to kill it before leaving. Couldn't. Having such a good experience with Korean cars, I bought a daewoo matiz (1998?) and drove that 100,000 miles without any incident until the rear axle packed it in. When returning stateside, went looking for a cheap ride, and found my second accent, and grabbed it at 2000$ after it had been cleaned up by a dealer. I have put 130,000 km on it in 3 years and haven't had to do anything except one front bearing. Parts are among the cheapest in the industry and I dont think I would buy anything not Korean for transportation unless I win the lottery. Better than any ford or chev I have owned.

Best car I have owned
By ataylor13 on 02/15/14 02:28 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

I actually got this car from a friend due to my honda breaking down and I needed a car for school and work. It was completely not my style in a car, I would have never been interested in purchasing it before. BUT THEN I realized how amazing this car was after 6 months of owning it and not one problem/issue. Amazing on gas, never had to fix a thing in the car, the most reliable car I have ever owned. Even at 260,000 miles it commuted me 100 miles a day for over 6 months with NO ISSUES.

Amazing car
By andrewts on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

In the 70,000 miles since I got the car,(it's at 156,000 at the moment) I've had to fix nothing but an 02 sensor and the timing belt/water pump. It's completely gutless, and not much bigger than a Geo Metro, but I've ranged from 35-42 MPG overall, the turn radius is crazy small, and it fits in any parking space. Plus, tires are dirt cheap. I got Bridgestone tires from Costco for $38 each.

My First Whip
By ace2tyte on 05/24/08 23:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

Point a to point b... Thats it. Ive owned this car since it first hit the market and as far as maintenance, ive had no problems with it. The interior could be a little softer and the size iz torture. I really don't think tall people are supposed to drive it. No back seat space and barely any trunk space... But it does have good mileage

Unbelievable!
By John on 06/08/07 02:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

When I read some of the negative reviews about this car, I think I must have linked to the wrong page. I bought this car brand new in 1997 for under 10K. I have driven it hard for 10 years, in all conditions and terrains. It has never once failed me or cost me more than miscellaneous maintenance money. The car handles great and is fun to drive. The interior and exterior look brand new after years, except where a kid hit a left fender playing street hockey. It now burns a little oil, but after 140K miles, it is forgiven.

Not Bad
By pjktj5 on 07/14/05 23:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

This is my first Hyundai, I bought it for me because I gave my wife my honda for the trade in value on it to use for a minivan since we are expecting our 3rd child in 11/05. The car runs great no major problems. Engine light comes on occasionaly, there is nothing wrong with the car it was a bad sensor an easy fix. It has 126k on it, with gas now over 2.30 a gallon this is a perfect car. NOT a speedy thing by any means but it does ride nice and smooth.

ok school car
By rose2003 on 05/23/05 00:27 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Accent GT 2dr Hatchback

The car was really fun to drive when i first bought it in 2002. I've had a problem with it eating tires. i have to put new tires on about every 3 months even when i buy expencive tires. i've had the alinement done and it still goes through tires. I've had to put an alternater in and replace a barring in one of the tires. Otherwise it has been fairly reliable i drive about 45 miles everyday for school and work. It gets about 32-35 mpg. so thats nice but it shakes really bad and there is a lot of noise when driving. it has 135,000 miles so i guess problems are to be expected.

eh, it was cheap at least!
By Hyundaiguy on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

sux, period. What else can you say. We needed a car and this was the least we could spend on 4 moving wheels at the time.

You get what you pay for....
By jbheath on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car close to two years ago, and I have yet to find a feature that stands out as anything special. If I were to drive only dowhill, or only in an area where the air conditioning was completely unneccesarry, I would enjoy the ride much more. Unfortunately, it sluggishly makes its way around, and it cannot take hills with the AC on. If you want to have fun on your way to work each morning, this car may not be for you.

My 1st Car
By Sweetiepie115 on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I received my Hyundai as a graduation gift from high school. And in the 6 almost 7 years I had this car it has only had major work done to it 3x and I purchased it with 11k miles on it. The gas mileage is great considering this is my second vehicle. Overall I would buy another if they didnt depreciate value so quickly.