Used 1997 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

1997 Hyundai Accent

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

my second one
By sunshinedays

1997 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

I had one in Korea for one year with 285,000 m on it, and tried to kill it before leaving. Couldn't. Having such a good experience with Korean cars, I bought a daewoo matiz (1998?) and drove that 100,000 miles without any incident until the rear axle packed it in. When returning stateside, went looking for a cheap ride, and found my second accent, and grabbed it at 2000$ after it had been cleaned up by a dealer. I have put 130,000 km on it in 3 years and haven't had to do anything except one front bearing. Parts are among the cheapest in the industry and I dont think I would buy anything not Korean for transportation unless I win the lottery. Better than any ford or chev I have owned.

gas mileage is phenomenal--I get 50 mpg when I drive like the old lady I am. When I am feeling frisky I still get 35. Have taken it on two cross county rides and had no problems at all. I change the oil religiously, at 4000 miles. All mechanical systems seem to be very strong, transmission drive-train, motor, clutch, etc.

door handles broke on both my Hyundai so make sre that people dont slam the doors. Front bumper is a little low, so be careful when parking so not to scratch it on the curbs. Watch the glove box, dont over fill because stuff will fall out the back. Hatchback inside truck cover is weak and breaks easy. Dont over load your back window area.

Best car I have owned
By ataylor13

1997 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

I actually got this car from a friend due to my honda breaking down and I needed a car for school and work. It was completely not my style in a car, I would have never been interested in purchasing it before. BUT THEN I realized how amazing this car was after 6 months of owning it and not one problem/issue. Amazing on gas, never had to fix a thing in the car, the most reliable car I have ever owned. Even at 260,000 miles it commuted me 100 miles a day for over 6 months with NO ISSUES.

Gas saver, most reliable car I have ever owned, never had to fix anything on it just regular maintenance.

I did not think it was cute lol but the reliability and lack of issues well out weighed that issue.

Amazing car
By andrewts

1997 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

In the 70,000 miles since I got the car,(it's at 156,000 at the moment) I've had to fix nothing but an 02 sensor and the timing belt/water pump. It's completely gutless, and not much bigger than a Geo Metro, but I've ranged from 35-42 MPG overall, the turn radius is crazy small, and it fits in any parking space. Plus, tires are dirt cheap. I got Bridgestone tires from Costco for $38 each.

Amazing gas mileage and the stock speakers were great once I replaced the deck. And even though it's tiny it looks dang good.

My First Whip
By ace2tyte

1997 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan

Point a to point b... Thats it. Ive owned this car since it first hit the market and as far as maintenance, ive had no problems with it. The interior could be a little softer and the size iz torture. I really don't think tall people are supposed to drive it. No back seat space and barely any trunk space... But it does have good mileage

Don't Think So

Size issue,no opportunities for modifications,wheel base too small,not enuff speed

Unbelievable!
By John

1997 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback

When I read some of the negative reviews about this car, I think I must have linked to the wrong page. I bought this car brand new in 1997 for under 10K. I have driven it hard for 10 years, in all conditions and terrains. It has never once failed me or cost me more than miscellaneous maintenance money. The car handles great and is fun to drive. The interior and exterior look brand new after years, except where a kid hit a left fender playing street hockey. It now burns a little oil, but after 140K miles, it is forgiven.

Reliability. Seat comfort and durability. Gas mileage.

Noisy on highway.