Used 2008 HUMMER H3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 HUMMER H3 SUV

View reviews for a specific H3 model:

More comments on Hummer than C6
By LuvsHummers

2008 HUMMER H3 SUV Alpha 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

As a previous owner of an Escalade and BMW X5 I am impressed. The Alpha has plenty of power when you need it and cruises smooth at 85-90. This thing is build very tough and think it is the ideal vehicle for anywhere. If the term MPG is even a worry keep looking, while I do get 15-16 hwy it isn't pretty when driving in traffic. Overall I think this is a nice all around vehicle but not quite the space of larger suvs. Went between this and a H2 and chose the smaller, and am happy with that choice.

Favorite Features

Stereo is great, Visibility is very good for me being tall my wife has a little more of an issue. Dependability. Easily find upgrades on eBay for modifications.

Suggested Improvements

Seats don't fold 100% down,hate that. Lack of factory bluetooth, solved with 'Bluestar'. 2WD option and 6 speed auto. Trunk space is pretty limited. Plastic trim is a little disappointing but gives me a reason to not worry about it as well.

Wish they still made them
By warmhiker

2008 HUMMER H3 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 5cyl 5M)

We bought our first H3 in 2006 and just bought another used for me in 2010. I SO wish they still made these! Most comfortable SUV out there. Absolutely love the drive and I don't get run off the road out here in TX! Only complaint is takes forever when you step on the gas, but put in a shot of Gumout fuel injector cleaner, and gave me a little more umph! Despite be the best vehicle I've ever owned (out of 10!), if you get a chance, get the extended warranty. After 4 yrs., the security system and engine coil had to be replaced ($1200), but that's about it. If they still made these things we'd get another. Wish someone would buy Hummer and keep in American!

Favorite Features

Sits high up, easily see out of it, calming drive, tons of room, rugged, accommodates virtually everything we stuff in it. Be across country and would drive nothing else.

Suggested Improvements

V6 would have been perfect, and 5yr/40K miles would have been even better. Gas mileage is 19/20, could have been improved.

Best Looking SUV Out There!
By H3 Owner

2008 HUMMER H3 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 5cyl 5M)

Just bought my H3 luxury with 40,000 miles. I love the exterior and interior design. The engine is only a 3.7 and its a little underpowered but its not TOO bad. I think GM should of put a bigger engine in it. The fuel economy is whats expected from a mid- size suv. Im getting about 17 mpg combined. I think the interior set-up is one of the nicest from GM. The visibility is not great but not a big issue for taller drivers. The leather is very comfortable and the sunroof is huge! The monsoon system is banging. It turns heads like crazy! I love this car and wont get rid of in until the wheels fall off!

Favorite Features

Nice leather interior Huge moonroof Monsoon sound system Beefy steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

3.7 5 cylinder engine

Hummer
By Gus Moore

2008 HUMMER H3 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 5cyl 5M)

I bought a loaded 2008 H3 with just 30k miles and kept it just 5 weeks before trading it back into the dealership. In that 5 weeks, I had to buy a $150 battery (come to find out it was the third battery the vehicle has went through) and jump start the vehicle 4 times something that you shouldn't have to do to a $25,000 SUV. When it did actually start, I found the 5 cylinder engine woefully under- powered which would be acceptable if it got better that 14 miles per gallon (My trade-in was an '03 F150 4x4 V-8 that got that good!) The H3 looks are fantastic but as my wife "It's all show and no go". That coming from a woman who drives a 2009 Scion xb 4cyc. After 5wks, I traded.

Favorite Features

Favorite feature is that I no longer own it. Traded for a 2007 F150 4x4 with 5.4 Triton V-8 that has more power and gets better gas mileage and starts every time I turn the key.

Suggested Improvements

Since the brand is no longer produce (wonder why?), I guess that suggested improvements wouldn't matter.

African H3 - Everybodies dream car
By H3 African Component

2008 HUMMER H3 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 5cyl 5M)

I love this car, SUV, truck, transporter or call it what you like. The only negative comments I ever get is from somebody that does not drive one. My wife and my 2 kids love the HUMMER. Out here in South Africa we have a lot of trails, bush and off road areas and we just wish we had more time to track them all. It parks easy, drive comfy and attracts attention

Favorite Features

The size, solidness and the feel of the security of the interior are great features. Big seats and lots of head room add to the comfort. The look never gets stale and I sometimes find myself just staring at H3, not actually realizing that the MACHINE belongs to me. This really is a dream vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The cruise control is typically American, not nearly as accurate as the German or English vehicles. It takes a couple of minutes to settle down and then does not maintain the speed but wonders either side of the set speed. Reverse assist would be a bonus, but if you can use mirrors it's no problem