Used 2006 HUMMER H3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hummer H3 - Consumer Reviews

2006 HUMMER H3 SUV

Base 3.5L 5-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual - (300 reviews )

Best SUV I've Owned
By jusncsu

2006 HUMMER H3 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 5cyl 5M)

I own a 2006 H3 w/ adventure package. I bought the vehicle used in 2009 with approximately 30K miles and an existing factory warranty. Hands down this is the best SUV I've ever owned. It's extremely comfortable, performs as needed and has been nothing but reliable. I've never had anything other than routine maintenance performed (knock on wood). My only complaint (if I had to give one) is that it doesn't have a ton of cargo space. My wife and I didn't have any children when we bought the car. However, we recently had our second child, and with double strollers, etc. are in need of a bigger SUV. However, I am not going to trade or sell the H3; I'll be keeping it forever!

Favorite Features

Look of vehicle, comfort and off-road capability.

Suggested Improvements

More cargo room would've been nice. However, it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Hummer time
By prodigy1

2006 HUMMER H3 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought a 06 h3 adventure package with 80k miles on it and was surprised at how well it rode and performed with the mileage it had. Every one gave me hell about having a hummer but I loved it. Driving it makes you feel like a kid driving a tonka toy. The Mpg's where average for its class 18-22 mixed driving. It was comfortable on short and long drives. It never gave me any issues and it never got me stuck off road. If your debating between an h3 or a wrangler, get a h3. You get more for the money and insurance is less. You get better Mpg's and a nice comfy ride when you're not plowing through the woods or mountains. It's a solid ride.

Favorite Features

The looks and the feel you get while driving it, I love that sitting in a tank with armored windows feeling. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The cargo space in the back has little to be desired.

2006 Adventure Package - Love this Car!!
By jusncsu

2006 HUMMER H3 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've owned it for a few years now (did a great deal of research to ensure that I wasn't purchasing a lemon) and I love this car more and more the longer I own it. One of the commenters on here had a great point. Get it serviced at your Cadillac or GM dealership, and keep up the maintenance!! I've heard a few comments regarding the lack of power/acceleration due to the size of the engine. This thing isn't a sports car! As others have said, it will easily get up to over 100mph. However, you shouldn't expect to get there in 6 seconds - who buys an SUV with that in mind?? Great car, I'm keeping mine forever!!

Favorite Features

Offroad capability; On-road comfort; bad a$$, make you feel invincible styling!!

Suggested Improvements

They addressed the only issue with the Alpha - v8.

American Collectors Item
By ghostrider8

2006 HUMMER H3 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 5cyl 5M)

I was by a bank that Hummers are investments as the demand for Hummers is huge.The H3 has been a great, fun, rugged,strong & qaulity.The engine has pep in town,but most of the power is torque for pulling & climbing in hard terrain.Most that complain about them either have not taken proper care nor servced at a Cadillac or other GM desler.I had to cut off road in terrain that big 4x4 trucks could not go in,the H3 went through with no problems without even having to use 4 wheel drive.H3 is heavy & is designed to basically go anywhere,it is not a Ferrai,it is a Hummer built to in the harshes environment & it delivers.Open speed the H3 has no problem cruising at 100 mph.It is just cool.

Favorite Features

The design of the H3, powerful climate controfuel l, great handling, and does pretty good on gas mileage. It is big, powerful, and always gets attentions and positive comments. It is Cadillac Tank. I recommend using fully synthetic oil with a Fram Extended Tough Gaurd Filter, using a K&N air filter, and good quality fuel and keep up with the service schedule so your H3 will last 500,000 miles. It is an awesome vehicle & every other I have spoke to, loves theirs. Also you own a Hummer your in an Elite Hummer Club & there is a national chapter every Hummer owner can join and be a part of Hummer Exclusive Events. Also with OnStar,with a push of button an entire diagnostics check can be done.

Suggested Improvements

Absolutley none...it is a solid, well built, very reliable, plenty of power for in town & off road driving, extremely powerful as it is designed to climb off road rather than race and the coolest looking vehicle on the road. One that is worth buying if you can find one, take good care of it, and you will have a collectors car on your hands that has increased in value.

giant piece of junk
By lodown

2006 HUMMER H3 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this pre-owned at 5 years old. Conveniently everything started going down the drain at that point. Stupid things would break like the door... couldn't open the driver door from the inside. Sunroof leaks, passenger will randomly get quite soaked. It seemed like every week something would go wrong. Key fob just doesn't work... tried changing the battery..nothing. One day I tried to go to work and the truck locked me in park! Couldn't move the vehicle! Extremely unreliable. One day hazard lights just turned on its own and wouldn't turn off. Can't even drive up hills without a hard time. No interior lights that turn on when door opens - stupid. Poor handling.

Favorite Features

I have none. The design of the vehicle is stupid and not convenient.

Suggested Improvements

Back door needs to be able to stay open. Lights on the ceiling of the vehicle that turn on when door opens. Handles on driver side.