2003 HUMMER H2 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hummer H2 - Consumer Reviews

2003 H2 Consumer Reviews

Base 6.0L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (134 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

H2
By db1988

2003 HUMMER H2 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Working for a used car dealership, I have driven literally hundreds of vehicles. After a long drive home in a customers Hummer h2 I was sold. There is no doubt the exterior design is unique, it really stands out amongst everything else. But being in the driver seat is what sold me. It handles well, drives smoothly, the visibility is phenomenal, and the overall comfort is great. Shortly thereafter, I bought a lightly used h2. After owning it these past few years, I can say I definitely made the right choice. It feels solid in heavy snow and pouring rain, it isn't as hard to park as you might think, and every seat is adequately spacious for an adult.

Favorite Features

CD changer, 4x4, exterior and interior design. It just feels very solid and safe.

Suggested Improvements

Everyone's complaint about the h2 is the gas mileage. It's no worse than any other 3/4 ton vehicle, and only slightly worse than the average large SUV. I am averaging 10.5 mpg, half city and half highway miles. Would I like better mileage? Yes. But I bought the hummer knowing this and it did not impact my decision at all. I have been flipped off by a few toyotas in my years driving it (for no apparent reason), but I live in California where some individuals feel the need to push their views more than they should. Overall, I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone interested.

Good for what it is!
By David

2003 HUMMER H2 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this '03 H2 as a project vehicle for our contracting company. We are performing a Duramax engine swap. The stock 6.0 V8 gets dismal fuel mileage (5-10 mpg) here in the rocky mountains. The H2 will be used for remote utility work and we wanted an SUV for carrying sensitive equipment into the mountains with a rugged look and feel. Blind spot galore, but has that cool factor and the "get out of my way" look as well.

Favorite Features

Rugged exterior looks, off road prowess, wide range of aftermarket support.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine for improved fuel mileage, blind spots galore, poor dash layout

Q's HUMMER
By Robert

2003 HUMMER H2 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

My hummer is a 2003, I bought it on 2004 used with very little mileage, since then I have enjoyed it. Took it off road and getting it dirty, hauling my travel trailer going camping on the mountains of New Mexico. About two years ago I decided stay off the dirt and rough terrain and started to customized it with bigger sound system, 28" rims and tires, chrome, and lots of more extras. (is very clean. Now I'm the envy of the neighborhood, everybody have something to say about my "hummer":)

Favorite Features

A big Vehicle that drives as smooth as a luxury or cruiser car. "LOVE IT"

Suggested Improvements

Better construction material for the inside ie.. door panels and dash area. It can be improve to suite the rough use that can get out of it. Suggestion, stay away from parts and products made in Mexico.

love my hummer
By kimberz

2003 HUMMER H2 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Alot of folks tryed to steer me away from purchasing a used first year production hummer. I ignored it and minus a couple of electrical "bugs" I have had to work out, it is a mechanically strong, reliable vehicle. As usual, GM delivers excellence that lasts for years to come. With a little patience, if you love H2's, they are a "sound" investment. All used vehicles will come with minor issues to be resolved. I have owned mine now for 2 years and have done less dollars in repairs than my tires have costed me. By the way, Cooper STT M/S are a couple hundred dollars more, but worth investing in on an all wheel drive...mine with rotation at oil change have lasted me 50,000 and they look TOUGH!

Favorite Features

Some of my fav features are my adjustable rear air shocks(replacement $230 each), heated seats, removable third row jump seat, front and rear towing (front one works great for removable winch), and last but no where near least, my BOSE sound system....IT REALLY WAKES ME UP IN THE MORNINGS!

Suggested Improvements

I really don't have any changes in mind that would not require changing the body design some, which in my opinion would be an absolute sin. I think that the side mirrors are a bit small for safety, windshield could be a little more aero (catches everything), grill difficult to clean w/ brushguard

Love my H2
By Happy Hummer owner

2003 HUMMER H2 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

After owning Expeditions, Tahoes etc. this is by far the best SUV I've purchased! I'm extremely pleased with my Hummer in every way. I added a K&N induction system to improve power, but now the truck is a perfect 10 in my book.. I recommend the lux package with the sunroof and DVDs.

Favorite Features

The room and the stability of the H2, not to mention all the options!

Suggested Improvements

A little more cargo space would of been nice, but other than that nothing comes to mind .

My H2 gave its life for me.
By Blessed

2003 HUMMER H2 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

After kissing my little boy and heading to work, a woman ran a red light going 50-70mph. My Hummer was t-boned on the driver's side and then due to her speed, flipped onto its headlights and upside down on its roof, sliding 20 feet. The jaws of life cut me out of my totaled Hummer. I suffered only minor injuries in an accident that would of killed me in any other vehicle. I was released from the hospital in time to kiss my little boy goodnight. The emergency crew said buying the Hummer was the best decision of my life.

Fun car... at first
By Chris

2003 HUMMER H2 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Hummer for 3 years. I bought it because my friend let me drive his when it first came out. I fell in love with the comfort and looks. 2 years later my friend was taking an offramp in his H2 and there was a muffler on the road. The H2's inside wheel went over the debris and the Hummer rolled. He was wearing his seatbelt and is not a fast driver, but the roll made him paralyzed. His incident has scared me and I'm now looking for a large safe car like the Volvo S80. Something with a lower center of gravity that is less likely to roll. My H2 was very fun to drive at first, but I grew out of it after a couple months.

Favorite Features

Seats are very comfortable, and looks. It feels very safe but after my friend's incident, I dont think it is.

Suggested Improvements

Use better plastic and make them less likely to roll. Also improve aerodynamics without changing looks to help improve gas mileage.

H2 experence
By m kennedy

2003 HUMMER H2 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

1 trouble free for over 3 years 2 uses regular fuel which keeps cost of refill down 3 large 32 gal full tank for long distances 4 i would like to have a better downward fuel filling angle to prevent nozzle from falling from car 5 on remote outside mirrors i would like to be able to program them to fold automatically after parking vehicle

Favorite Features

i have a great command of the road while driving this vehicle

Suggested Improvements

see above try to improve 3rd row seating

Awesome
By Bentley

2003 HUMMER H2 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

When the H2 first came on the market, I knew I had to own one. This SUV has not disappointed my expectations. Fun to drive, extremely reliable, and indestructible. A little underpowered, but what do you expect with a 6000 pound "tank?" During winter months, my friends usually designate my H2 as the "designated" vehicle for ski trips, and when offer for them to drive, they never refuse. I get 13 mpg on the highway at 65 mph. I can fit four skiers inside including their skis.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, roomy interior, great visibility

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower

2003 Hummer H2
By Maverick

The best SUV that I have owned to date. Very, very surprised by the truck

Favorite Features

cool design - rugged looks not your typical SUV -