Used 2006 Honda S2000 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda S2000 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (73 reviews )

Best Sports Car in the Price Range
By KGood

2006 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

My S2K is a daily driver, and I find it to be the perfect combination of exceptional acceleration/handling, while still returning good fuel mileage. And unlike so many sports cars that have come and gone, it is reliable as a hammer. You will not find another manual shift up to this quality, steering is quick and perfectly weighted, the brakes are faultless, the body structure very rigid. Cautions: if you drive very aggressively, be careful of snap- oversteer. This series is better than the original, but it can still punish the ham-handed. Ride is firm. While having more driveable power/torque band than 1st S2K's, best performance still requires keeping the engine in the correct rev range.

Favorite Features

Classic, clean handsome looks. Power, balance, reliability like any other Honda, good fuel mileage, semi-rare (so you're driving something few others have). For me, perfect overall size (don't be 6'2"/250 lbs, though), comfortable but supportive seats, good luggage space, easy top up/down.

Suggested Improvements

W/top down, fiddly, semi-rigid cover is needed for "finished" look; should have a body panel cover like 350Z, or Z-fold top like MX5. Tougher paint on nose, or std clear anti-chip film as used on Elise. Instrumentation a bit sparse. One warranty issue on mine: noisy diff replaced at 1K mi.

My Car For The Decade
By Tarrant

2006 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I wanted a true sports car that I would be excited about driving for the next decade, and the S2000 is a perfect choice: a driver's car in performance without sacrificing comfort, features, quality, reliability or my financial future. It definitely draws the right kind of attention. Great driveability in traffic as well as on twisty roads where one can wind it out. Excellent build quality and, consequently, a low cost for extending full warranty coverage to seven years. Finally, there's also a great community of S2K car clubs with enthusiasts into tuning, track days or social outings and drives. An ownership experience bar none.

Favorite Features

Great power, gearbox and handing. Aggressive styling and excellent wheels & tires. Ease of top operation. Solid ergonomics. Driver's seat fits me perfectly. Nice speakers. Trunk sufficient for modest luggage. Airbag sensors accurately detect when a child is in the passenger seat.

Suggested Improvements

The XM radio option from the dealer is exorbitant. Add Bluetooth capability and jacks for Ipod/MP3. Add a seventh gear or slightly taller sixth gear for highway cruising with peak fuel efficiency.

s2000 206
By s2kguy

2006 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

The car is very fun to drive. The performance is second to none for a 4 cylinder car. It is very nicely built and very to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

The interior designs are very plain. The radio looks cheap for a 35k car.

Not for the die hard, but for the true.
By WhiteKnight

2006 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I was in the market for a Porsche Cayman or an exotic that was good as a everyday driver if needed. I somehow always wound up on a search path on the S2000 in forums. All I heard was good, but honestly the internet pics did the S2000 no justice. I decided to go see it in person at a Honda dealership. I was in the market for no nonsense sports car, structurally tight, no rattles, and had a very good dependable engine. When I test drove the car, it was the right fit. For the same price you can buy some others, but this car fit me for what I wanted. I don't like clutter. I like efficient, practical equipment on my cars that is sporty.

Favorite Features

Very tight solid car. I hate rattles. Some want more work on the dash, but I like how everything is functional, and can be reached without looking. Definitely a cockpit car. I own exotics and older cars i.e. mustang fastback. I didn't expect to get looks and stares from the chicks, but I do. :)

Suggested Improvements

Factory optional supercharger. I will be installing one aftermarket. A little difficult getting out and in of the car, I'm 5'11, but that's nothing to cry about on a true sports car.

'06 S2000, RED
By Kat

2006 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I am loving this car! I only wish it had a better place to put my coffee. A real attention getter, and performance is outstanding!

Favorite Features

The window between the seats is great.

Suggested Improvements

Move mirror controls. A a fold out cup holder (maybe in the lower console of passengers side)