2006 Honda S2000 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (73 reviews )
This is my 2nd review here after 1+ year of driving
By kolyan2k on 11/26/12 12:14 PM (PST)

2006 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

Now have almost 47k miles and car runs like a champ. Easy and cheap to do all maintenance, found out since this is a high performance car in needs valves adjusted every 30k or so. Haven't had any problems with car. Gets decent MPG for a high performance high rev engine.

I couldn't give this car less then 4.....
By yelis on 09/13/11 12:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

My previous cars: e46 M3, e92 335i, B7 A4, and a few Maximas. S2000 is super fun, simple yet nice design, engine is work of art, fun factor compared to my previous M3. Now the bad: should be at least 0.5 seconds faster, NOT as reliable as I thought...I have 33k miles and check engine light for multiple misfires (common on S2k) all 4 coil packs were cracked ($650 job at dealer w/ diagnostics), at 33k miles car already needed valve adjustment ($340 at dealer w/seal and diagnostics)....and I heard that injectors on this car can also fail soon.....remember my car has had ALL maintenance and was never raced on track. Kind of disappointed since I bought this car for "Honda reliability"

California Coast Highway 1
By Phil on 08/11/09 20:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I recently returned from the coast in my pre-own certified 2006 S2000. What a blast! The car is nimble yet responsive with cat quick handling. Surprisingly my wife and I was able to transport enough luggage and supplies for the weekend trip with space left over. XM radio reception was fine, but it's nothing like the whine of the engine against the redwoods, tight curves and straightaways. The 4-cylinder V-Tech is an absolute monster that leaves me longing for an excuse to head to the coast again. Although I am tall I had no problem with the comfort. In fact the only complaints are tired facial muscles from grinning like a 2-year old, and a sun burn from refusing to let the top up!

2.5 years later
By Matt on 08/11/09 05:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I remember seeing this car when it debuted at the auto show in 1999 and said I'm getting that. I bought the car new, and after 2 and a half years and 25k miles it's still like new. The car handles like a dream, I've driven it on the track and the "Tail of the Dragon" and it never ceases to amaze me. For Jim the previous review, the brakes do not fade if you upgrade the brake fluid to a high temp fluid. I rarely have the stereo on, and the gas mileage when looking at the car's performance and motor, it's to be expected. Buy a civic if those bother you. The car definitely followed where the s800 left off.

Love our Lolita in her red dress!!!!
By Jim on 06/10/09 18:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

How much do you need to love a car to give her a name? We recently bought a red '06 with only 8K miles on her. We are a family of Hondas - when my spouse bought her CRV in 2005 I sat in a s2000 in the showroom and said "hey babe I'm gonna buy you one of these" I knew that one would end up in the garage eventually. All my Honda experiences have been excellent, 2 Civics, said CRV, and now the S2K. What a car! It just DARES you to drive it. The gearbox is butter, the sound is magnificent, the interior is Honda simple, the seats are comfy. Styling is understated, but menacing in an anime sort of way. Mash the throttle in second, spool her up to 7K rpm and hold on! Turbos are for whimps, baby!

Best driving experience...
By john carlton on 04/17/09 14:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

S2000 is almost 10 year old now; and still; I would not change it with a brand new Z4, Miata, Solstice, Sky and even a Boxster. Unlike most cars, S2000 is a purpose built driving machine. Engine, transmission, and chassis is not shared by any other model. Engine is small, light and powerful. Best manual transmission available in ANY car: short, precise, excellent feel. Chassis is so stiff, the rear tire was also raised when I was jacking up the front! The engine is located completely behind the front axles, and the rear is a tad heavier than the front. The steering response is unreal; immediate response to any steering input. S2000 is designed to give you the utmost driving satisfaction...

Do you like to drive?
By motosuzi on 02/21/09 02:47 AM (PST)

2006 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

If you love the driving experience, this is the car to buy. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy it for comfort or the sound system. Honda threw in some nice leather seats and a stereo for people like me who drive it to work everyday. I just wish I could get to the curves more and mute the stereo and listen to the engine. It's an amazing little car.

Gone S2K
By Gone S2K on 11/30/08 12:59 PM (PST)

2006 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

Disclaimer: I've owned this car 3 weeks. I have yet to find a comfortable seating position. My lower back has been suffering. Compared to my clk55 cabriolet, I thought my Cooper works was unreasonably noisy. That is, until I got the s2k. At freeway speeds, I can barely hear the radio even with the volume set past 50%. And although the engine is a jewel, I was spoiled by the 387 foot pounds delivered by the 5.5L AMG V-8. I've also been spoiled by the rain-sensing wipers and autodimming rearview mirrors, and wish that these would be available in the S2K. That said, it's the best handling most satisfying car I've ever had. I wish I could drive it topless all the time.

Guys, buy one before you get married.
By Mako1969 on 10/30/08 13:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

This two-seat roadster fits like a glove, and it makes a mere trip to the grocery store exciting. Recaro seats hold passengers in firm comfort, and the dash board mounted controls are all a finger touch away from the racing inspired steering wheel. Performance suspension/steering and 17" low profile tires provide plenty of feedback from the road, and it corners like it's on rails. Acceleration and braking are superb. Gas mileage is fantastic for a performance car and it of course is built with the legendary Honda reliability. Overall, the blend of styling, performance, and fuel efficiency cannot be beat for the money. Like the title says, guys, buy one BEFORE you get married!

Best bang for the buck on the market
By eric_the_jew on 07/26/08 13:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I must say that I am a die hard sport bike guy, and was skeptical that a car would be able to give me the thrill of 15,000 rpm. However, Honda's S2000 fits this bill surprisingly well. It is undoubtedly the closest thing to a motorcycle with four wheels. I considered [briefly] Mazda's Miata (anemic power), Porsche's Boxter S (ridiculous price) and the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky (no 6 speed tranny), and decided the "S" was the car for me. With its short wheelbase, the car feels a little twitchy at the limit, almost as if it will break into uncontrolled oversteer. However, the Automatic Stability Control will bail you out should you get in over your head.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.