Used 2006 Honda S2000 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda S2000 - Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda S2000

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (73 reviews )

This is my 2nd review here after 1+ year of driving
By kolyan2k

2006 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

Now have almost 47k miles and car runs like a champ. Easy and cheap to do all maintenance, found out since this is a high performance car in needs valves adjusted every 30k or so. Haven't had any problems with car. Gets decent MPG for a high performance high rev engine.

I couldn't give this car less then 4.....
By yelis

2006 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

My previous cars: e46 M3, e92 335i, B7 A4, and a few Maximas. S2000 is super fun, simple yet nice design, engine is work of art, fun factor compared to my previous M3. Now the bad: should be at least 0.5 seconds faster, NOT as reliable as I thought...I have 33k miles and check engine light for multiple misfires (common on S2k) all 4 coil packs were cracked ($650 job at dealer w/ diagnostics), at 33k miles car already needed valve adjustment ($340 at dealer w/seal and diagnostics)....and I heard that injectors on this car can also fail soon.....remember my car has had ALL maintenance and was never raced on track. Kind of disappointed since I bought this car for "Honda reliability"

Favorite Features

Engine, transmission, HIDs

Suggested Improvements

Head Unit is junk....only plays CDs....and skips by the way....HondaUSA customer relations is a joke. Also almost ALL softtops on S2000 have defect and Honda refuses to fix even though there is TSB on this for 4 years now ! Soft top frame has sharp edges which cause softtop to rip. (my car had this issue at around 20-25k miles)

California Coast Highway 1
By Phil

2006 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I recently returned from the coast in my pre-own certified 2006 S2000. What a blast! The car is nimble yet responsive with cat quick handling. Surprisingly my wife and I was able to transport enough luggage and supplies for the weekend trip with space left over. XM radio reception was fine, but it's nothing like the whine of the engine against the redwoods, tight curves and straightaways. The 4-cylinder V-Tech is an absolute monster that leaves me longing for an excuse to head to the coast again. Although I am tall I had no problem with the comfort. In fact the only complaints are tired facial muscles from grinning like a 2-year old, and a sun burn from refusing to let the top up!

Favorite Features

Traditional sports car styling (timeless) unlike trendy designs; nimble but responsive handling, and no shortage of RPM's.

Suggested Improvements

If anything, I could use another 1/2 inch in width to access my seatbelt with the door closed, but then again I'm taller than average. Since the gearbox is so tight, for my wife's sake I wish there was a feature to prevent accidental downshifting at higher RPM's; I'm thinking accidentally over-revs.

2.5 years later
By Matt

2006 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I remember seeing this car when it debuted at the auto show in 1999 and said I'm getting that. I bought the car new, and after 2 and a half years and 25k miles it's still like new. The car handles like a dream, I've driven it on the track and the "Tail of the Dragon" and it never ceases to amaze me. For Jim the previous review, the brakes do not fade if you upgrade the brake fluid to a high temp fluid. I rarely have the stereo on, and the gas mileage when looking at the car's performance and motor, it's to be expected. Buy a civic if those bother you. The car definitely followed where the s800 left off.

Favorite Features

Engine is fantastic, gearbox is still perfect, handling is amazing. I love the exterior as well. Smooth top and I'm glad Honda finally put a recall on it ripping, so heads up on owners that read this.

Suggested Improvements

Pointless now, but Recaro seats like in an EVO would have been nice. More downforce (back lifts if you hit a crest, fixed with the CR) and a bit more power (I put a turbo in it to resolve that).

Love our Lolita in her red dress!!!!
By Jim

2006 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

How much do you need to love a car to give her a name? We recently bought a red '06 with only 8K miles on her. We are a family of Hondas - when my spouse bought her CRV in 2005 I sat in a s2000 in the showroom and said "hey babe I'm gonna buy you one of these" I knew that one would end up in the garage eventually. All my Honda experiences have been excellent, 2 Civics, said CRV, and now the S2K. What a car! It just DARES you to drive it. The gearbox is butter, the sound is magnificent, the interior is Honda simple, the seats are comfy. Styling is understated, but menacing in an anime sort of way. Mash the throttle in second, spool her up to 7K rpm and hold on! Turbos are for whimps, baby!

Favorite Features

The engine is a work of mechanical art. Acceleration. VTEC kicking in at high RPM's and flattening you to the seat. Styling. Simple ergonomics (I mean, really, so you need an operable cup holder in this car?) and smooth operating top.

Suggested Improvements

The only nitpick I have is the brakes while effective don't seem much different from our CRV. On a high performance car you would expect the brake calipers to at least be painted and the rotors cross drilled for heat venting. I have never driven Lolita at a track but I'll bet they would fade fast.