2004 Honda S2000 Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda S2000 - Consumer Reviews

2004 S2000 Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (198 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Tough Decision -
By s2point2k

2004 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car. I love the way it handles, I love the way it accelerates, and I love the way it feels zooming down the highway at 80 mph with the wind rushing by. I bought a used 2004 with 39,800 miles on it and in amazingly good condition for about $18,000 hoping to have both a fun car to drive and an investment that would maintain or lose very little value over time. I nailed it. I show the car a few times a year and still find myself clearing my calendar when the weather is going to be good so I can take it for a nice long drive. Tough decision? Drive it or store it? Driving is a blast, but storing it will only increase the value (or bleeds out the value more slowly).

Suggested Improvements

Wow . . . I can't say anything comes to mind. If you want something different, then buy a different car.

s2000
By BYRDMAN

2004 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

Amazing vehicle, I drive it daily and I don't believe there is a more fun to drive vehicle that is this dependable. I have taken to drag strip, ran great times, had around BMS a few laps and no issues. Do the maintenance and drive it. I do not have one complaint.

Favorite Features

Best shifting transmission ever! swapped to Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid ( a little stiff cold) and best feel ever.

great car
By fallcityfisher

2004 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

What a great car. Like a motorcycle with four wheels. I have had zero problems. Handles like its on rails. Full size golf bag fits in trunk, just don't try two!

Favorite Features

Handling. Looks. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Very poor radio and the steering wheel should be adjustable, as it is I can only drive for about an hour before my back begins to ache, but then again I didn't buy it for cross country travel.

The little Rocket
By Honda Kid

2004 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

This little car handle like a rocket.I own a 2007 Honda Si, this car handle well, but not as good as the S2000. Well, if you want to hear this little rocket vtec kicks, shift to first gear and accelerate until you hit 8000 rpm and shift to second gear and will will know what I am talking about. Don't believe me! Try it for yourself.

Favorite Features

vtec, power, handling corner, pick up

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy

My Black Roadster
By Pete

2004 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

At 60-years young I've been a car nut most of my adult life. I have to admit the S2 is the most fun machine I've driven. Value?... you would have to pay thousands more to get a roadster with the handling, performance, & styling of the S2. I'd like to know the process or the nut who figured the S2 @ 20 mpg! I'm on my 2nd S2 the very worst I've gotten, driving hard in the mountains, was 22 mpg, I'll average 24 mpg on the highway 27 mpg.

Favorite Features

Fun car to drive on the highway or track. Great performance and reliability for the buck and man is it fun running the gears with its jewel like short-throw tranny!

Suggested Improvements

Much rather have analog speed-o and tack plus an oil pressure and 12-volt gauge is needed. The interior seats are too narrow for us wide guys and the total interior could stand a more up to date design. Imagine the performance if Honda added a 3.0L+ six cylinder to the S2!!!

A Blast
By BW

2004 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I had wanted this car since it came on the market. The sound of the exhaust, its strong, sporty appearance. All of its lure comes to life once you are behind the wheel. I'm a 1970's TR6 owner, so in being a sports car purest, the S2000 is marvelous fun. The car's handling is perfection and makes you hunt out winding roads for afternoon drives not to mention how much fun just driving to work can be. I enjoy every second behind the wheel. If you want an exciting ride, this is it!

Favorite Features

Strong body, power roof, dependability of Honda!

Suggested Improvements

A high quality sound system.

first sports car
By jdg

2004 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

The S2k is my first and maybe my last sports car and I love it. It is the most beautiful car that I have owned. Mine is black on black, which in my opinion is the best color for this car. It goes down the expressway like it was on a rail and it rolls down the city side streets with all eyes on the car.

Favorite Features

the performance

Suggested Improvements

more interior storage

4 years of Ownership....Nice to own
By GeoPoko

2004 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

Have lived with my S2000 for 4 years and almost 28k miles. Sporty car, perfect transmission, nice fit and finish and Honda reliability (zero problems). This is a car for people that want a sports car. Not a sporty car. Not luxury sports car. The car is exactly what Honda intended and it is perfect at that job. Only regrets are living "up north" and having to park it 3 months a year. The summers are great, top down almost every drive home for 5 months.

Favorite Features

Transmission, sports car ride, engine noise at limits.

Suggested Improvements

Radio needs a serious upgrade, cannot be heard at 80 with the top down. I- POD connectivity (did both myself). Lower the seats or raise the wind- shield for us 6'+ drivers (I can't see stop lights if I am first in line). HIDs for high beams.

The best car I ever owned.
By Howard

2004 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

This is the first car I have ever had that I have had any affection for. It is fun to drive, cheap to operate (although it uses $4.25 premium it gets 24 mpg in town) and a real head turner. I only bought it because the trunk holds my golf club bag and the caddy.

s2kblack
By will malone

2004 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

This s200 handles like a race car . I love the acceleration in all the gears and how it handles in curves and take off on the straight aways

Favorite Features

The body style is great! Aerodynamics keeps the car stable during high speeds.

Suggested Improvements

Better radio system,and built in theft alarm system,more storage space inside the cabin.