Used 2004 Honda S2000 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda S2000 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (199 reviews )

4th S2000 I've owned. So far the best!
By revs2k

2004 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

The title is correct. I've owned 4 of these amazing roadsters. 2007, 2002, 2003 and now a 2004. The 2007 had the VSA and the throttle-by-wire feature where there is no physical throttle cable to the manifold. The larger 2.2 engine in the later models makes commuting easier and less noisy. The earlier ones rev higher,are louder and (in my opinion) faster. The 2004 is my favorite so far. Not as encumbered with electrical nannies. The immediacy of the throttle mirrors the earlier model and the styling changes are very much to my liking. Overall this is a great car for any enthusiast. I've owned many cars and this is the most visceral car I've owned. My advice is get one while you still can!

The size of the car is 'just right'. It's not as large as a Corvette or as miniscule as a Miata. The fit and finish is outstanding. The paint is 'mirror flat' and the panel fitment is precise. Clearly assembled with skill and dedication to quality. The steering is direct, quick and very precise. The gearbox is sheer joy to shift. Perfect pedal placement for aggressive driving. Brakes are excellent. The engine..you just have to go through a tunnel with the top down hit VTEC and you will understand what a dynamic engine this is! Having owned motorcycles my whole life this is the car that finally replaced my VFR-800 for good. Very reliable and maintenance is as affordable as my Accord!

Not too many suggestions here. Better floor mats that cover the cross-member would be a nice touch. Factory 18 inch wheels would have given the car an even more aggressive stance but overall this car was a 'home-run' for Honda. Beautifully conceived and perfectly executed!

Tough Decision -
By s2point2k

2004 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car. I love the way it handles, I love the way it accelerates, and I love the way it feels zooming down the highway at 80 mph with the wind rushing by. I bought a used 2004 with 39,800 miles on it and in amazingly good condition for about $18,000 hoping to have both a fun car to drive and an investment that would maintain or lose very little value over time. I nailed it. I show the car a few times a year and still find myself clearing my calendar when the weather is going to be good so I can take it for a nice long drive. Tough decision? Drive it or store it? Driving is a blast, but storing it will only increase the value (or bleeds out the value more slowly).

Wow . . . I can't say anything comes to mind. If you want something different, then buy a different car.

s2000
By BYRDMAN

2004 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

Amazing vehicle, I drive it daily and I don't believe there is a more fun to drive vehicle that is this dependable. I have taken to drag strip, ran great times, had around BMS a few laps and no issues. Do the maintenance and drive it. I do not have one complaint.

Best shifting transmission ever! swapped to Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid ( a little stiff cold) and best feel ever.

great car
By fallcityfisher

2004 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

What a great car. Like a motorcycle with four wheels. I have had zero problems. Handles like its on rails. Full size golf bag fits in trunk, just don't try two!

Handling. Looks. Reliability.

Very poor radio and the steering wheel should be adjustable, as it is I can only drive for about an hour before my back begins to ache, but then again I didn't buy it for cross country travel.

The little Rocket
By Honda Kid

2004 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

This little car handle like a rocket.I own a 2007 Honda Si, this car handle well, but not as good as the S2000. Well, if you want to hear this little rocket vtec kicks, shift to first gear and accelerate until you hit 8000 rpm and shift to second gear and will will know what I am talking about. Don't believe me! Try it for yourself.

vtec, power, handling corner, pick up

fuel economy