Used 2003 Honda S2000 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda S2000 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda S2000

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (209 reviews )

A real sports car!
By 9000lover

2003 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I went to market to buy a real sports car. I test drove Porche, Audi, BMW, Lotus, Fiat and Mercedes. I was set to buy a Boxter when our Motoring writer for the newspaper I manage said to me "have you tested a S2000"? I tried one and was hooked. I guess everyone has a different take on what makes a great roadster but the S2000 ticked all the boxes compared to the others. Amazing engine and transmission was a great start nothing else compared to the driving experiance here. The handling is good but will catch inexperianced drivers out who push it to the limits compared to the Porsche which was idiot proof in this area. Overall though the combination of drive, reliability and sheer fun wins!

Favorite Features

Shift Engine Brakes...fantastic Roof Simplicity Vtech thrill Handling

Suggested Improvements

More staorage in the cabin would be helpful on the longer trips!

Not for everyone, but it is for me!
By revs29

2003 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have wanted an S2000 for several years and finally purchased one last spring. Owning the car is a little different than I had imagined, but not in a bad way. PROS: the car is absolutely thrilling, extremely direct/controllable with a perfect transmission and exciting 9000RPM engine. Great MPG (25-28), outstanding handling, very fun and agile. Makes every shopping trip feel like an adventure. It is a very special, hand built car and feels like it through and through. CONS: Terrible highway car - loud, obnoxious and buzzy. Very tight on the inside, feels great on a curvy road but not on the freeway. Burns 1qt oil/1.5k mi, but I drive it hard.

Favorite Features

Engine, transmission, handling. This is all about the visceral sensations and feedback. Not a 'fast' car, but more than quick enough to get from corner to corner. Very reliable and cheap/easy to maintain. Hard to believe that I bought so much fun and excitement for the price of a Nissan Versa.

Suggested Improvements

None - this car is exactly how it was intended to be. Would love an updated version, but i know that it will never be built. If you want comfort or compromise, look elsewhere. This is a sports car's sports car. The 2000 model intentionally left the clock out of the radio - that's how driving focused it was intended to be.

Fun-Factor
By rich

2003 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is an absolute pleasure to drive everyday. The handling is razor- sharp and predictable. The engine is great, not a lot of torque but the gearing is great so its not as noticeable. I personally think it is a very comfortable ride. I've driven tuned s13's and supra's and this car is every bit as fun. If you're looking for balance this is the car to own. Almost perfect from the factory, and the car is absolutely beautiful.

Favorite Features

Handling! Engine is excellent. Looks incredible. Offers endless feedback to the driver

Suggested Improvements

a little better gas mileage. Don't agree with everyone on the the torque issue b/c I really like the power band of the car

Still strong after 6 years!
By Dave Lucas

2003 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have liked the S2000 since I first saw it, prior to the first sell. It has pleasing, timeless lines and handles quite well. In fact, when I drive other cars for short periods, then get back to the S2000 - that is when I really appreciate how it handles. True, the car is not for everyone, but that is what I tried to avoid in the first place (a vanilla car). I look forward to having this car for another 10+ years - may be get a nice paint job when it starts to show its age!

Favorite Features

Handles well, power, refined good looks, power top is fast and effective in all weather, engine sound at 6-9 K rpms, great car!

Suggested Improvements

V6, low end torque, insulated top (noisy). Sorry to see 2009 as the last year! Come back with a V6 - 350 HP...

Not a great daily driver
By Sean

2003 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car in October last year after test driving a couple and falling in love. Bottom line this is a very stiff car that is noisy and not a lot of fun to take on trips much over an hour. It performs well for a stock car, but isn't overly fast in a straight line. It does have a good suspension, but the stock tires are expensive and downright scary in the rain. This has been relegated to a garage queen that I only take out when the top can go down. If you can afford a fun weekend car, it's great. For daily life, I found it unbearable.

Favorite Features

Great transmission, good suspension, top down is always nice.

Suggested Improvements

Gutless down low, scary in the rain