Used 2001 Honda S2000 Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda S2000 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (60 reviews )

Most Helpful|
The Need For Speed
By Selena

2001 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I first looked at the S2000 in 1999. I had to have it! I finally bought it in 2003. I still have it! I love the way the car feels, especially after driving a larger vehicle. It corners like it's on rails, it feels solid at all times and the sleek, sporty design is an amazing attention getter! I will drive this one for another few years, give it to my daughter and get me a brand new one. The Honda car is the best for dependability!! Hands down! And the sports car has class, depenability, style and best of all speed!

Favorite Features

The solid frame, gas mileage, sleek body design, cornering ability and quiet for a convertible.

Suggested Improvements

The stock stereo system in the Honda S2000 is very little to be desired.

My favorite car ever
By Evan

2001 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The S2k is amazing with its 240 bhp engine that screams from 6-9K rpm and nimble responsive chassis. Its also roomy and comfortable on the inside. Undoubtedly a car that needs a skilled driver to really shine! It is at most in its place on a twisty mountain side.

Favorite Features

2 liter 240 hp VTEC engine 9k red line

Suggested Improvements

possibly a rear wing more for looks than anything maybe similar to the RSX

Not pracitcal, but FUN!
By mikeandterri

2001 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2001 S2000 with 5K miles on it. It was too impractical for the previous owner. Since I only drive it to work and back, practicality is not an issue. In fact, the S2000 makes my 30-45 minute commute fun, everyday except when it's snowing. Acceleration is awesome, top goes up and down in seconds (important for the surprise thunderstorm), handling is superb. The interior is quite cramped, and not recommended for someone 6 feet or taller. I'm 5'10" and fit fine, although getting in and out with the top up requires some agility. The stock stereo system in poor, and if you upgrade you lose the remote control functions on the dash. So I just upgraded the speakers.

Favorite Features

Acceleration and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo.

01 S2K w/ Vortech S/C
By Estreka

2001 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My S is a little different than most. Having 320 hp really extends the enjoyment of the S. While there's still a lack of low end torque, there are few cars out there that can compete with the fun of an S2000 over 4,000 RPM. It can't be compared to other sports cars. It must be viewed in terms of a livable go kart. It's that responsive. The shifter is a particular joy. Few manuals can be maneuvered with the flick of your wrist like the S can.

Favorite Features

Vortech supercharger, lightweight body, sound, response, shifter, cool factor

Suggested Improvements

That infernal cup holder is right in the way of the shifter. The plastic rear window gets really bad after a while.

Absolute Perfection
By Sean

2001 Honda S2000 Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is precisely in spirit of what Ferdinand Porsche had in mind when he designed the 911. Unfortunately German manufactures turned to more profitable manufacturing schemes and lost the true passion of a sports car. This car is 100% designed for drivers who are passionate about driving and wouldn't use navigation even if it was a free option. Many owners complain about low end power, although I agree with Honda's design of this engine completely. People that just want a car to look good in and occasionally drive moderately hard should buy a boxer. Very true this car rides hard and is loud but that is because it isn't over engineered for people who really don't like driving to begin with

Favorite Features

There is absolutely nothing I don't love about this car. I hit 9000 RPM every time I drive it and it never gets old. I wouldn't even consider buying this car with the 2.2. True sports car and not some luxury sorts car inbreed.

Suggested Improvements

Should come with a handkerchief to wipe the tears of joy from your eyes. Everyone wants more power but it would ruin the balance of the car. I'd lose the AC, cruise control and power top.