Used 2008 Honda Ridgeline Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Ridgeline - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ridgeline model:

Best of both worlds
By Truckguy

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB w/Navi (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my Ford truck and my Dodge Durango thinking I could get the best of both worlds with the Ridgeline. During the first 1K miles, so far so good with the exception of mileage. The Ridgeline handles great, the AWD grips fine in inclement weather and the interior is comfortable. The storage spaces are very well designed from the sunglass holder to the pull forward center console that reveals additional CD storage to under seat storage in the rear. In terms of complaints, the navi system is not worth the extra money. My $200 Garmin is easier to use, gives more detailed directions and displays the speed limits which is great on unfamiliar roads. Save the $2K and skip it!

Favorite Features

Huge in bed trunk (really overall storage design in vehicle), dual position bed extender, heated seats/mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Remove huge/ugly grips around the front door handles-detract from otherwise nice interior. Stereo & navi nice but... My $200 Garmin has features that are missed like speed limit display which is very helpful on unfamiliar roads. No artist/title display on stereo in top Honda trim - disappointing!

Excellent decision to buy!
By Daniel

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Former 04 Nissan Titan, considering Toy Tundra, but this was more practical. Cheaper, what a deal!, Fun to drive, gave me more space in the garage. Now well have more fun, distance to cover at lower cost.

Favorite Features

18.24 mpg on first half tank, automatic 4x4! lots of space inside and back, lockable trunk, two way to open back door, instruments layout, power back window, smoooooth ride for a truck, folding back seat. The whole family loves this truck.

Suggested Improvements

Rear view mirror auto dim light and compass would be great.

Rear Tires Locking Up
By Ebony

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Ridgeline, but 2 months ago I noticed something with wheels feeling like right front tire was flat. Next week had to have vehicle towed, because it wouldn't accelerate. Make a long story short took to Honda 3 times they wouldn't take wheels off would only do road tests. I had to take truck to dealer every night so when it happened again it would be there. They would not check it out unless they actually saw what truck was doing. It ended up being the rear differential that was locking. It only happens in 30 degree or less weather. I live in Charlotte, NC it usually doesn't get cold here, but it has. So if you experience this locking of wheels you now know what it is.Thanks warranty

Favorite Features

Entire truck especially truck for the summer. It takes 6 bags of ice to fill it up.

Suggested Improvements

Make Honda check problems when owners first bring vehicles in.

Need a truck but want a car?
By Daniel

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I looked at the Tacoma, the Frontier, and the Ridgeline. Granted, people told me the Ridgeline wasn't a "true" truck, well that's all right with me! Drives like my Accord V6 - but with loads of space to haul or tow things. Super comfortable, super styling, and Honda reliability - how can you go wrong??

Favorite Features

All the storage features - inside and out! Plus, to be able to take my family (two kids under 3), and stow strollers and diaper bags - without even having to leave exposed in the truck bed - awesome!

Suggested Improvements

An iPod jack and bluetooth without the needed navigation. How about larger wheels (for aesthetics)? Additional Dashboard lighting.

Handy
By Dad

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have 14K on my Ridgeline RTX. Thus far the swing out tailgate latch and the rear seat vent have broken. Otherwise OK. I have towed boats and trailers with no problems. Brakes work well while towing but fuel mileage drops to 10 MPG or less. Shifts a lot even without a trailer - very annoying. I think the engine could handle it if the tranny would wait to drop out of high gear. I noticed torque steer when passing, it surprised me and made me swerve. Trunk is awesome. Drives and parks like a car. Fuel mileage is only so-so. Averaging 17-18 and 19-20 on hwy. Functionally the truck is great. It's kind of ugly and my buddies make lots of fun but it's really practical and does what I need it to do.

Favorite Features

Trunk is GREAT! Under rear seat storage, cold A/C, smooth engine, good brakes, Michelins, great in the rain, bed hooks work well with tie downs.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shifts WAY TOO MUCH. Cabin is not as quiet as it could be, weird shift action from park to drive- I have to look to be sure I'm in drive, seats stain EASILY, rear seat belt receivers hard to reach with child seats. Seats not as comfortable as my F-150