2008 Honda Ridgeline RT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Ridgeline - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ridgeline Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ridgeline model:

Sort Reviews by

Nice Truck
By DANSWAK

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I like everything about this truck except the lack of integrated lock on tailgate. The inbed trunk has an integrated lock which can be opened using keyfob. The tailgate does not even have a lock on it. Once I added a tonneau cover I had to add a "pop-a- lock" which necessitates me carrying an extra key.

Favorite Features

Drives just like Honda Accord.

Suggested Improvements

Add an integrated lock to the tailgate.

Solid, but not great.
By Loyal Honda Man

2008 Honda Ridgeline RT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased Ridgeline to be the "family car," and in that function, it has performed satisfactorily. After almost 30,000 miles, it has been perfectly reliable, and has been a solid all-around-family-vehicle. Fuel econ has been 15-16 in town, 18-20 on highways. The engine is adequate if underwhelming for normal use but simply inadequate for towing much of anything. I towed a mid-sized trailer of approx. 2,500 lbs on level ground and the engine worked very hard and with mileage of only 9-10mpg. It is, however, very functional and the interior cabin space is efficiently maximized. LOVE the in-bed trunk, built-in bed cleats, as well as the built-in lighting for the truck bed.

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING about the bed: trunk, tie- down cleats, lighting, built-in liner, etc. The cabin is near perfect. Being able to fold up the rear seats for tall objects is great. It is a good utility vehicle that will fit in your garage.

Suggested Improvements

Having a more powerful engine would make this vehicle perfect. I'd like to see Honda develop a small V-8 similar to Toyota's 4.7L available as an option in the Ridgeline and Pilot.

Great Purchase
By happyhondaowner

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have enjoyed this vehicle overall and recommend it. No, it is not overly powerful, but it does have enough power to do what I need it to. No, it is not overly roomy, but it does have a lot of functional space when configured that way. No, it is not a looker, but there are worse. You WILL be able to fit it in a garage, move moderate sized trailers easily at 55-60 mph. You will also get about an average of 16 miles/gal overall. I have gotten up to 23 (once) and as low as 12 (many times) in the winter. You can fit 5 smaller people comfortably. Not if they are over 200 lbs and 6 ft tall. It is a truck that is not great at anything but good at everything.

Favorite Features

They max the usable storage space. The under bed trunk is a masterpiece. All trucks should do that. The ride is pretty smooth, a lot like a car, less like a truck. The absolute maximum vehicle size for a 10x18 single garage. It is tight but fits.

Suggested Improvements

Tranny shifts back and forth from 5th-4th-5th etc. against ANY wind resistance or hill (annoying). The windshield wipers can't be moved out to clean out snow. The hood blocks them. You have to start car, wipers on, turn car off when wipers at the top to clean out snow (annoying). MPG disappointing.

Ridgeline fan?
By KARUSA

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Doesn't fit long legs, short arms well. Honda famous "fit and finish" is lacking. Very underpowered at 245hp and 4500 lbs. Fuel economy in town only 14 not 17 advertised. Honda's implementation of 4WD is not. You can not control it and it works only marginally light offroad and in wet heavy snow on road. The in bed storage is a large plus. Overall, I'd buy something else if I had it to do over, I want a better hp/weight ratio which would also help fuel mileage. It's underpowered, had nagging minor issues with trim misfits, vanity lights needed repair -- choose differently folks.

Favorite Features

In bed Storage, instrument and ergonomics in front cab.

Suggested Improvements

Needs power improvements to bring it above 300hp and 300 lb.ft. of torque. It's simply too heavy for this v6 powertrain.

Fun to drive all the time
By BC

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my ridgeline 19 months ago I look forward to driving it every day. I'm in outside sales so this truck is my office and lunchroom. What a vehicle for those contemplating a truck purchase. Don't overlook this vehicle. I'm averaging 19-20 mpg. I've owned chevys, gmcs and fords - this truck is the best of the best.

Favorite Features

Love the under bed trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Interior fabric could be a little more stain resistant.

The ultimate everything vehicle
By Engineer

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I drive 200 miles round trip a day mostly highway on cruise. My mileage was low until I put about 15,000 on the truck but now regularly get 22MPG cruising at 70 with my high being 23.9. I have found that the power is quite good but the VSA system intrudes too much leaving most folks with the impression it doesn't have low end power. If you switch the button off the truck will launch hard indicating Honda should rethink the programming. My biggest beefs are lack of a telescoping wheel that allows one to rest your elbows on the door and console pad without feeling like you're reaching. Seat comfort is misleading; way too hard. I will be the first in line for a new dturbo diesel.

Favorite Features

Build quality and attention to detail. Trunk and bed liner.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping wheel!!, power passenger seat, one touch moonroof opening, rear mud flaps and auto dimming rear view mirror, fogs as standard!!!! Trucks turning circle is as bad as my f250 crew cab! Makes it hard to park in tight lots.

All that it's cracked up to be.
By Tom

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB w/Navi (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have put on 50000 miles and am extremely satisfied. This truck is well engineered, runs flawlessly, and has features not found in any other competitor. Mileage is 20+ average and the fit and finish are superb. I have had no mechanical issues.

Favorite Features

Navigation, rear trunk, and spacious cab.

Suggested Improvements

This is a winner as is, obviously better mpg would be a plus for this and any other truck.

Good but not great
By FLIPSIX

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great AWD truck. Styling is great. Friendly driver controls. Good power considering the weight. Problems included the tailgate lever which was replaced. Makes this start up noise- "normal" per dealership. Huh??? Showed me a youtube excerpt about. Supposedly won't cause any problems, uhuh...Storage is great especially the hidden bed trunk. Poor gas mileage 15- 17mpg city 18mpg combined and that's pushing it.

Favorite Features

Bed trunk, power, interior size

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE, GAS MILEAGE, GAS MILEAGE, did I say gas mileage?

STILL Love It.
By JonnyB,

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck, new, well over a year ago, and I've never regretted it once. In fact, quite the contrary. If you have a family, a house, or do any light duty stuff (for ex. trips to the dump), this is a GREAT vehicle. I live in New England and it's solid in the snow as well. I also take long trips (500+ miles) with my family of 4. The Ridgeline is all about comfort and stows a TON of gear. The trunk in the bed can't be beat (even "big truck" guys agree). My wife likes driving it, which is something a few guys have asked me (hey, it stinks, but once in a while I have to give up my truck); the visibility and comfort are great for me at 6'1" and my wife at 5'2". Awesome all-around vehicle.

Favorite Features

Totally legit backseat. A TRUNK (with a drain plug in case you want to use it as a COOLER)! LOTS of interior storage. Comfort. Versatility. Style.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy. Paint: the paint is pretty, but not tough, and who wants that? The cabin also seems unusually loud with windows down (but climate control works great).

Great Daily Driver Pick Up Truck
By Brian

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB w/Navi (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Ridgeline. I originally owned a 2006 RTS which I drove for almost 60,000 miles. I was going to buy the new 2009 body, but with the great deals they offered on the 2008 I opted to get it instead. I was able to get the loaded out leather, Navi, Moonroof RTL for what I originally paid for the 06 RTS. I was very pleased with the reliability and overall performance of the 06, which is why I decided to buy another one. In 60,00 miles the only thing I had fixed was a strut which was under warranty at the time. I drive a lot for a living so comfort is extremely important. I have owned a few trucks over the years and have never had one that drives as well as the Ridgeline.

Favorite Features

Looks, drive comfort, trunk bed (probably the best feature found in any truck), AWD system works very well in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage, better tow rating.