2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Ridgeline - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ridgeline Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ridgeline model:

Sort Reviews by

Great truck
By TJH

2008 Honda Ridgeline Crew Cab RTX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck because I needed something for 4 adults with light hauling capacity. Additionally, Hondas are very reliable and the build quality on this truck is amazing. I expect, like my 2000 Accord, it will run for a long time with out serious repairs. The handling and comfort are excellent in all weather. This truck will handle all road conditions with confidence. I recently took it off road through some very rugged trails near the ANF and it got me there and back with ease. It is big and heavy and you pay for that in gas mileage. I consistently get 20 mpg on the highway, however I don't mind as the view, safety and comfort while driving are worth it.

Favorite Features

In bed trunk, bed tie downs, sliding electric rear window, the awesome stereo, quiet ride, flip up rear seats, very unique center console storage, ground clearance and its excellent driving ability.

Suggested Improvements

The rear view out of the mirrors is not very good. You have to be very careful when changing lanes due to poor visibility. Outside sheet metal design. It is hard to keep clean and wax. The transmission shifts a lot due to low engine torque to weight ratio.

My experience
By robbie

2008 Honda Ridgeline Crew Cab RTX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The interior on this vehicle is extremely easy to get stained. I had to purchase seat covers at over $300.00 to protect the interior.

Favorite Features

the built in storage trunk in the bed of the truck

Suggested Improvements

change the fabric used for the seats

Great Casual Truck
By drexadelphia

2008 Honda Ridgeline Crew Cab RTX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm sad to see my Ridgeline lease come to an end. Never been in a truck that rode as smooth or quiet. It handled beautifully, too. Interior was spacious in the front and the back, plenty of room for 4 adults, and 5 if necessary. The rear seat swinging up came in handy. The inbed trunk is huge and was great for storing various items, including a golf bag. The only negative I can give this is that I live in Philadelphia and it got a little less than 15 mpg. It's the only reason I'm giving it up. When they come out with a hybrid, I'll be back :)

Favorite Features

Big trunk in the bed, rear seats folding up, great ride for a truck

Suggested Improvements

If you don't get XM (which i didn't), there's an odd little compartment they put in it's place between the radio and the A/C controls.

Like Nothing Else, In a Great Way!
By travelindog

2008 Honda Ridgeline Crew Cab RTX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very pleased after 35,000 miles! Great in the snow and serves my hauling and occasional off road needs just great. I've owned Chevy, Dodge and Ford trucks, and this Ridge is the best vehicle I've owned, period. My hat's off to Honda engineers and designers who obviously had their hats on straight when they drew up this vehicle. Would suggest that anyone considering a light pickup truck take a look at this.

Favorite Features

Overall design, bed trunk, sliding rear windows, fold-up rear seats, roomy, excellent interior layout all around, great handling, comfortable seats and ride, two way tailgate, easy to change oil, Honda quality all around

Suggested Improvements

Improved rear visibility, lock on gate (can't believe they missed this), better mpg (about 18 mpg in town), maybe a small economical high mileage diesel

Whatta great truck!!!
By Rob

2008 Honda Ridgeline Crew Cab RTX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

A common theme seems to be praise of the in bed trunk... It is a life saver. It's one of those things that once you've had it... you CAN'T live without it. The AWD is awesome. We recently had a snow storm w/ 20". It was the first snow storm we've had since I owned the truck, and I couldn't believe how great the truck handled. I could not make the truck fishtail...even when I wanted it to. Snow aside... I thoroughly enjoy driving this vehicle year round, regardless of the weather. I can honestly say that the when I replace my Ridgeline... it will be with a Ridgeline!!

Favorite Features

In bed trunk.. Rear fold up seats... Back seat space... Console Space... Smoothe ride... AWD system....

Suggested Improvements

fuel mileage could be a little better. HEATED MIRRORS!!! I bought my truck in June and didn't realize the mirrors weren't heated until December. It's the only real set back. Heated mirrors aren't a option on my model, so I can't add it on because of how the truck is wired.

Fun to drive all the time
By BC

2008 Honda Ridgeline Crew Cab RTX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my ridgeline 19 months ago I look forward to driving it every day. I'm in outside sales so this truck is my office and lunchroom. What a vehicle for those contemplating a truck purchase. Don't overlook this vehicle. I'm averaging 19-20 mpg. I've owned chevys, gmcs and fords - this truck is the best of the best.

Favorite Features

Love the under bed trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Interior fabric could be a little more stain resistant.

Very Nice Vehicle.
By Thomas

2008 Honda Ridgeline Crew Cab RTX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my RTX after coming out of a Honda Odyssey lease. I really enjoy the overall driving experience of this truck. It handles extremely well, drives smoothly and is comfortable inside. I love the in-bed trunk and the numerous storage areas inside the cab. The gas mileage is comparable to other mid-size 4x4 trucks, so I knew what I was getting into. The engine is powerful, but seems to strain just a little when trying to pass with a cab full of people or a load being towed. Love the way the back seats fold up so you can use the flat floor for storage. Don't pass up the Ridgeline because of looks, you will regret not test driving this vehicle when comparing the others trucks out there.

Favorite Features

In-bed trunk, all four windows can go down using the key remote, lots of storage, fold up back seats, tailgate that swings out and folds down and sliding rear window. Full front/side airbags. Safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more horsepower/torque. Leather seat option on lower models. Improve gas mileage (Honda should be a leader in this category).

Not That Impressed
By Darryl

2008 Honda Ridgeline Crew Cab RTX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first time ever buying (leasing) a import vehicle and so far I have not been that impressed. The Performance is good and it is fun to drive. Driving it in the snow is like a dream. It also tows my medium sized tent trailer very well but that is where the good stuff ends. I find the front seats are not comfortable on long drives and my back ends up very sore. My truck has been to two different dealerships a total of 7 times for tailgate issues and the problem is still not fixed correctly. After a year, the driver door seal wore out and had to be replaced. The paint is very soft and scratches very easily so I do not recommend a dark color (mine is a dark red).

Favorite Features

The in bed trunk is very cool. My family and I (4) were able to store 4 bags in it for a week long road trip. If you really need space you can store the spare in the bed and get even more room.

Suggested Improvements

Little more power. Not a big fan of the all wheel drive. Would be nice if it had a way to control it better.

One great vehicle!
By Chris

2008 Honda Ridgeline Crew Cab RTX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had this one year and nearly 15000 miles. This has been all I had expected and more. It drives more like a car than a truck, and yet is incredibly spacious and has lots of novel features. It is wide enough to put a mountain bike inside the back (putting the seats up) without having to take off the front wheel. You can comfortably sit 3 across the back, or fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the bed. A lot has been written about this truck, so I really will only add that I am more impressed with this truck after owning it for a year than I was when I first bought it! The only negative I can think of is the gas mileage is mediocre. I average 17, but have gotten as high as 22 on the highway.

Favorite Features

Size, handling, comfort, versatility, Honda quality.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic on door handles is a bit much. Fog lights should be standard.

Handy
By Dad

2008 Honda Ridgeline Crew Cab RTX 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have 14K on my Ridgeline RTX. Thus far the swing out tailgate latch and the rear seat vent have broken. Otherwise OK. I have towed boats and trailers with no problems. Brakes work well while towing but fuel mileage drops to 10 MPG or less. Shifts a lot even without a trailer - very annoying. I think the engine could handle it if the tranny would wait to drop out of high gear. I noticed torque steer when passing, it surprised me and made me swerve. Trunk is awesome. Drives and parks like a car. Fuel mileage is only so-so. Averaging 17-18 and 19-20 on hwy. Functionally the truck is great. It's kind of ugly and my buddies make lots of fun but it's really practical and does what I need it to do.

Favorite Features

Trunk is GREAT! Under rear seat storage, cold A/C, smooth engine, good brakes, Michelins, great in the rain, bed hooks work well with tie downs.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shifts WAY TOO MUCH. Cabin is not as quiet as it could be, weird shift action from park to drive- I have to look to be sure I'm in drive, seats stain EASILY, rear seat belt receivers hard to reach with child seats. Seats not as comfortable as my F-150