Fantastic Sports Coupe
By iceman721 on
2001 Honda Prelude SH 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)
This car is fun to drive. I have an HKS exhaust put on by the previous owner and an AEM Cold Air Intake. It produces a boomy, racy tone under full throttle but is reasonably quiet under moderate acceleration. Power is good in the upper RPM range. VTEC engages at around 5100 RPM and you'll know it when it does. Car is comfortable and you won't be seen every time you turn your head. A decade into its life span the car still looks fresh. Handling is OUTSTANDING! Gas mileage on premium is 20 City & 25 Hwy. I've seen as high as 26-27 driving conservatively on the highway. 5 speed is crisp and fun to drive.
Favorite Features
ATTS (Automatic Torque Transfer System) in the SH is a blast. This car is great in curves. I have taken on ramps at twice the posted speed limit and all this car does is grip the road. Never any torque steer or tire squealing going through the curves. I've owned heavier more powerful cars (Lexus GS430) and I will take this over them. Great reliability. Have it maintained by the dealer or a Honda specialist. Mine is all original with the exception of the CAI and the muffler.
Suggested Improvements
I would love to see Honda bring back the Prelude. Add modern options that are in the parts bin. Bring back ATTS make a 4cylinder and a 6 cylinder version. Manual transmissions, lightweight, great power trains, side airbags, modern electronics, etc. Just dig in the crates and bring out all of the best stuff Honda has to offer from the last decade and update the car. The Prelude is not a soulless car like many Asian automotive appliances. It's a throwback to the days of the Preludes, Supra's & NSX when there were Asian coupes that were a blast to drive and reliable. Bring that back and until then I will drive my Lude!
By iceman721
on 06/20/13 06:11 AM (PDT)

Almost 2 years and 50k miles later. My clutch lasted 12yrs and 148k miles. Clearly never abused. It's being replaced now. Know that on an SH there is a premium for replacing the clutch due to the ATTS system. The dealer wanted 1500.00 to replace it (NOT!) I found a reputable local shop to do it for about 850.00. On a base model it would have been at least 200 cheaper. Timing belt has been changed by the dealer including oil seals, belt tensioner, timing belt and water pump for about 750.00. Brakes were upgraded with Centric Rotors & Hawk pads all around for about 450.00. I posted this to inform others. This is a great car, I still love it but it's not an Accord. Understand it will cost a decent amount to maintain as the mileage piles up. No mechanical failures at all. Not the fastest off the line and not economy car gas mileage but always a joy to drive.