2001 Honda Prelude 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Farewell to an old friend

2001 Honda Prelude - Consumer Review

Base Coupe (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Farewell to an old friend
By Bob on

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Prelude to replace the 1985 Prelude I'd owned for 14 years. Obviously I'm a big fan of Preludes and was disappointed that they have now been discontinued. This version of the Prelude is a bit larger and has much more power. Other than that, it is surprisingly similar to the old one. But after all, why mess with success. It's an incredibly fun car to drive and handles extremely well. I never had any mechanical problems with my first Prelude, and after 3 1/2 years have had none with this one either. About the only downsides to the 2001 Prelude are in the area of fuel economy; both the fact that it runs on premium gas, and that mileage per gallon was only average.

Favorite Features

Interior design from the driver's standpoint is terrific and engine power makes it a heck of a lot of fun to drive. It handles beautifully.

Suggested Improvements

It's unfortunate that Honda chose to make this a relatively fuel inefficient vehicle (only about 20-25 mpg vs closer to 30 mpg for older models), and the fact that it requires premium gas is a negative, especially in this day of extreme gas prices.