Used 2001 Honda Prelude Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

2001 Prelude Type SH
By OEMwheels

2001 Honda Prelude SH 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I remember first seeing this car indoors at a Honda dealer when it first came out in 1997 and my goal was to one day own one(I was around 12 years old). I was in love with it. Prior to that, I really liked the 94-95 Honda Accord 2 door. I owned the accord for around 5 years. I have had the prelude since October 2008. I love the car. It's a bit slow for 200 hp and 22 mpg, but it's fair enough. If I were to buy one again, I'd go with the base over SH. Base is lighter. This is a unique, classy car not like most of the other cars out there. The main concern I'd have with buying one is how well it was taken care of. A lot of these owners have driven 'em hard. Car maintenance is everything.

Exterior looks. Interior cluster. I love the sound and smoothness of the engine. I love the way the car(especially the Type SH) comes stock. Love the spoiler the P R E L U D E lettering. I love that it's a rare car and I've had a thing for it since it first came out.

MPG. For being a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder this thing gets terrible gas mileage. Granted, it was 1997, so you can't really compare it to a G35. A little more HP and a couple hundred pounds lighter would have been nice. If you like the car and want the car, then get it.

prelude power
By CRIS

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my prelude brand new in 2001, the last model made SE.. this car is amazing, affordable, fast and great handling. Its not very roomy but whatever, its a great ride and stops on a dime. I'm over 200,000 km and it still drives like new. I have always babied it and never had a problem. My biggest expense was timing belt and water pump for a 1000 bucks, my crank pully was damaged. I did wait way to long to change my timing belt, I changed it at 195,000 so lucky it didn't brake, it had cracks all over it. A little tip, if you own a prelude and have a problem, only take it to honda, its to hard of a car to work on and anyone else will screw it up.

handling, take off and stopping..

winter tires, good ones, michelin or bridgestone and its like a TANK in the snow..

Great Car!
By CA Prelude

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car and value, a blast to drive! Original stock tires weren't great. Stock stereo is good and puts out decent volume, but the bass is more "mid bass," not low bass. Just over 100K miles and no problems. By some miracle, no tickets, either! Don't ask me how I know this, but there is a fuel cutoff at 7,800 rpm. Would be nice to have a rev limiter, instead. Like other comments, a 6th cruising gear, RWD, 200 lbs. lighter, and 40 more hp would also be on my wish list. My car should last another 10 years at least...maybe by then, a new Prelude will be in showrooms.

Engine, engine sound, 5sp manual tranny and clutch are nice and smooth, sporty handling (for a FWD car).

No V6, though, please. It would just make it more nose heavy. We also have a 2004 V6 Accord Sedan (5sp auto)...the V6 is nice and smooth, though (240hp, 210 lb. ft. torque), but it's a bigger car, weighs more, and is only maybe a tenth or two faster to 60 and in the 1/4 mile...

My blue Honda Prelude
By kevinfly777

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Parents bought me this to go to UCSD. Great car, fantastic handling (through the corners). Although I was disappointed about the interior, but it's not too bad for a Japanese sports car. Very reliable, passed smog and everything... a very fast car and sometimes with the blue color it attracts a lot of attention. I love this car.

200bhp, great handling, easy to maintain engine and parts

I would love it even more if Honda could make the body lighter (3000lbs) and make the engine even more responsive, I've always wanted the rpm indicator to change fast.

Revin Hard
By matt

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2001 Prelude from PA and I love it. The V-Tec Mode kicks in hard and the car's sleek body makes it look pretty damn good. It handles like a true racing Machine. I only wish it had more stock HP. I added 200 HP of my own when I rebuilt the engine. For anyone planning on T-Charging the Prelude engine beware of the H22A4 RING LANDS!!! THEY WILL NOT LAST! I recommend this car to new drivers, it's cheap, reliable, safe, and a real blast to drive.

My Favorite feature is that it looks better than the S2000 and the GSR. Honda did a hell of a job creating a look of a real sports car. I'm loving the FWD too, makes the handling real good in wet weather.

Improvements that Honda could have made was to add a LSD or limited slip differential to the USDM preludes. It's a pain to add my own, and cost me 500 $$. Wasn't an easy install either. I would have liked to see a more powerful engine but they canceled the line.