Used 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH SH Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Prelude SH - Consumer Reviews

Type SH 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (18 reviews )

Fantastic Sports Coupe
By iceman721

2001 Honda Prelude SH SH 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive. I have an HKS exhaust put on by the previous owner and an AEM Cold Air Intake. It produces a boomy, racy tone under full throttle but is reasonably quiet under moderate acceleration. Power is good in the upper RPM range. VTEC engages at around 5100 RPM and you'll know it when it does. Car is comfortable and you won't be seen every time you turn your head. A decade into its life span the car still looks fresh. Handling is OUTSTANDING! Gas mileage on premium is 20 City & 25 Hwy. I've seen as high as 26-27 driving conservatively on the highway. 5 speed is crisp and fun to drive.

ATTS (Automatic Torque Transfer System) in the SH is a blast. This car is great in curves. I have taken on ramps at twice the posted speed limit and all this car does is grip the road. Never any torque steer or tire squealing going through the curves. I've owned heavier more powerful cars (Lexus GS430) and I will take this over them. Great reliability. Have it maintained by the dealer or a Honda specialist. Mine is all original with the exception of the CAI and the muffler.

I would love to see Honda bring back the Prelude. Add modern options that are in the parts bin. Bring back ATTS make a 4cylinder and a 6 cylinder version. Manual transmissions, lightweight, great power trains, side airbags, modern electronics, etc. Just dig in the crates and bring out all of the best stuff Honda has to offer from the last decade and update the car. The Prelude is not a soulless car like many Asian automotive appliances. It's a throwback to the days of the Preludes, Supra's & NSX when there were Asian coupes that were a blast to drive and reliable. Bring that back and until then I will drive my Lude!

2001 Prelude Type SH
By OEMwheels

2001 Honda Prelude SH SH 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I remember first seeing this car indoors at a Honda dealer when it first came out in 1997 and my goal was to one day own one(I was around 12 years old). I was in love with it. Prior to that, I really liked the 94-95 Honda Accord 2 door. I owned the accord for around 5 years. I have had the prelude since October 2008. I love the car. It's a bit slow for 200 hp and 22 mpg, but it's fair enough. If I were to buy one again, I'd go with the base over SH. Base is lighter. This is a unique, classy car not like most of the other cars out there. The main concern I'd have with buying one is how well it was taken care of. A lot of these owners have driven 'em hard. Car maintenance is everything.

Exterior looks. Interior cluster. I love the sound and smoothness of the engine. I love the way the car(especially the Type SH) comes stock. Love the spoiler the P R E L U D E lettering. I love that it's a rare car and I've had a thing for it since it first came out.

MPG. For being a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder this thing gets terrible gas mileage. Granted, it was 1997, so you can't really compare it to a G35. A little more HP and a couple hundred pounds lighter would have been nice. If you like the car and want the car, then get it.

One Of The Best Cars Ever Made
By Robert

2001 Honda Prelude SH SH 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dream car for years was a Toyota Celica GT-S. This last year I was going to buy a car I could afford. I did some research and found a 2001 Honda Prelude SH. I never realized I would ever find a car more intriguing then the Celica. I bought my Prelude in May and now have added 10,000 additional miles. I love it. It's one of the best cars ever made.

VTEC, ATTS, handling

2.2 220 horses Hondas favorite 100 hp per liter, I-VTEC, RWD

Best Honda ever made
By Dylan

2001 Honda Prelude SH SH 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car, and it is by far the best Honda I have ever owned

The power and the handling are excellent. The car feels rock solid no matter how fast your going.

None

Great Car
By Gene

2001 Honda Prelude SH SH 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great car for me for the past 5 years. It has never had any issue with reliability or handling, braking is brilliant and performance very good. It even has room for two young kids in the back seat. Basically this car gives solid performance with all the little things thrown in - mine has cruise, power everything, sun roof, sports gears etc..

Handling, braking, reliability, performance. No oil leaks - all good as of 70,000 miles

None