2001 Honda Prelude Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:
Japanese Interpretation of Italian Sports Car
By silver02m5 on 05/01/14 12:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking for something that follows the "typical Honda" model, then you should look elsewhere. Pretty much everything about this car, from the low roofline, to the seating position, to the engine character screams Italian. All Hondas need to be revved up to make power, but this one is even more extreme. Even the design of the valvetrain, with the valves set into "buckets" in the head is identical to that of an Alfa Romeo. The seats are comfortable and supportive , but be prepared to extend your arms while your legs straddle the wheel if you are over 6 foot. The build quality is excellent, but the low production numbers show in only average reliability (not Honda-typical).

Should have been a 2 seater
By pablogyds03 on 09/27/12 19:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace my 1986 Prelude, I was fresh out of college and landed a good paying job so an upgrade was in tail. Initially I was in the market for an Acura Integra GSR which are hard to find Clean title and Stock (Which is what I wanted). While out Kicking tires at some dealerships I found a 01 Black Prelude 5spd. I took it for a test drive and was sold before I even hit 3 blocks, took it back and bought it with 113k. Purchaced the car in 2007 ended up totaling it in 2011 but it was super reliable only oil changes, tires and tune ups. it had 236k when I parted from it. I miss this car and it was a blast to drive on my 60mile commute especially passing people. Gotta love VTEC!

this is my second Prelude!
By jg323 on 02/14/12 08:52 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

In my teens i bought a 4thGen Si Prelude for practically nothing with over 100K on it and i drove it to 230K until it was totaled while parked w/ the only problem being that it burned oil (not leaked.) Then i purchased an '01 Base model and at 1st was disappointed because i couldn't find an SH, though shortly after i realized that seats and the ATTS, wheels and a spoiler were not really worth it the extra bucks and found my car at Buena Park Honda with only 40K on it. That was five years ago and i still haven't reached the 100K mark but i'm close. The 5thGen changes gears not nearly as smooth as the 4th. and sadly this Prelude burns oil also between changes.

prelude power
By CRIS on 12/04/09 16:58 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my prelude brand new in 2001, the last model made SE.. this car is amazing, affordable, fast and great handling. Its not very roomy but whatever, its a great ride and stops on a dime. I'm over 200,000 km and it still drives like new. I have always babied it and never had a problem. My biggest expense was timing belt and water pump for a 1000 bucks, my crank pully was damaged. I did wait way to long to change my timing belt, I changed it at 195,000 so lucky it didn't brake, it had cracks all over it. A little tip, if you own a prelude and have a problem, only take it to honda, its to hard of a car to work on and anyone else will screw it up.

Great Car!
By CA Prelude on 09/07/09 19:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car and value, a blast to drive! Original stock tires weren't great. Stock stereo is good and puts out decent volume, but the bass is more "mid bass," not low bass. Just over 100K miles and no problems. By some miracle, no tickets, either! Don't ask me how I know this, but there is a fuel cutoff at 7,800 rpm. Would be nice to have a rev limiter, instead. Like other comments, a 6th cruising gear, RWD, 200 lbs. lighter, and 40 more hp would also be on my wish list. My car should last another 10 years at least...maybe by then, a new Prelude will be in showrooms.

My blue Honda Prelude
By kevinfly777 on 08/07/09 14:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Parents bought me this to go to UCSD. Great car, fantastic handling (through the corners). Although I was disappointed about the interior, but it's not too bad for a Japanese sports car. Very reliable, passed smog and everything... a very fast car and sometimes with the blue color it attracts a lot of attention. I love this car.

Revin Hard
By matt on 07/24/09 10:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2001 Prelude from PA and I love it. The V-Tec Mode kicks in hard and the car's sleek body makes it look pretty damn good. It handles like a true racing Machine. I only wish it had more stock HP. I added 200 HP of my own when I rebuilt the engine. For anyone planning on T-Charging the Prelude engine beware of the H22A4 RING LANDS!!! THEY WILL NOT LAST! I recommend this car to new drivers, it's cheap, reliable, safe, and a real blast to drive.

Love it!
By czsohc517 on 10/07/08 13:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have always loved the Prelude and its design. My mom had a third gen and I liked it, so I decided to keep it in the family. This is my first car and it has greatly exceeded my expectations. I have big plans for the car and have already done much to it. Soon the engine will have a revamp with cams, p&p, type- s pistons, etc. I have already upgraded the suspension (a little lower and stiffer) and boy, I thought it handled like a dream before, now it is no problem to take turns quickly and worry-free. And, although the interior was all black, it gives it a clean look and you can always give it a twist with the Prelude Type-S Seats (leather/suede with red stitch) and OEM Honda aftermarket part

Prelude=Spectacular
By J23erbs on 12/26/07 10:16 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I have ever owned. It does exactly what I need it to do and then some. The performance is truly a reflection of Honda's brilliance and the engine is one of the best honda has ever put into production.The h22 is just remarkable. It revs so freely (not like a wankel engine though)and it displays remarkable durability.The car is also built with exceptionally well build quality. The Prelude, like all Hondas, can withstand lots of abuse and still run like a charm. I would highly reccomend it to anyone, unless you want to use it as a family car because the back seats are lacking space, but if your like me you didnt buy the car for back seat room.

best Honda ever
By Erik on 12/19/06 23:09 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Prelude is the best honda ive ever driven. Love the HP, love the way the VTEC screams from 5200 up to redline, feels like ur in a formula-1 car. Good brakes, good mileage on freeway, excellent handling. very exciting car, would recommend to anyone.